Forums
Posted By: Dilly photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 12:31pm
Thought I would put this up in case anyone wants to get any shots. Big floating crane getting ready to lift sunken vessel from the dock at the side of the flats (old converted mill) Happy snapping smile
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 3:39pm
Get the Camera out then Dilly cool cool
Posted By: Dilly Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 3:53pm
They haven't lifted it yet but it looks like iike it won't be long. Can't photo it myself Van too busy earning a crust smile we can can just see the jib from where we are. Think its an old naval vessel.
Posted By: yoller Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 4:18pm
It's the old tank landing craft from the Historic Warships collection. Story here ...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/d-day-landing-craft-raised-wirral-7938679
Posted By: torryman Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 5:33pm
Wow, this used to be a floating club over Bootle way in the eighties ...I played on her with my (then) band called "Spice" and I still have a V.I.P. membership card from that time.
Posted By: Dilly Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 5:38pm
Just come past and it looks like it is slung ready for the lift, so possibly she is being raised tonight.
Posted By: cools Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 5:41pm
Yes I remember the clubship landfall as well. Went to a couple of hen nights on it had great time. Torryman we are talking about the same ship/club or am I being dim?
Posted By: torryman Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 5:57pm
Yeah...that's the one.
Posted By: davew3 Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 6:42pm
Well at least it won't be going to Aliaga in Turkey for scrapping, Historic Warships collection my left foot, like everything in this country, for sale or for scrapping.
Posted By: yoller Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 7:12pm
On second thoughts, I don't think the landing craft was ever officially part of the Historic Warships collection. As far as I remember, there was some plan to restore it with the aim of adding it to the collection. Instead, it was left to rot and sink.

That's how we treated the only surviving British vessel of its type that took part in the D-Day landings.

Meanwhile, less than a mile away at Woodside, a fortune was spent on restoring a German submarine and sticking it slap bang on the waterfront.

So much for our history.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: photo opportunity docks - 15th Oct 2014 10:38pm
it was ledt to rot due to the company going into liquidation, it would be interesting to see how they get on restoring it now.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: photo opportunity docks - 16th Oct 2014 6:44am
Crane is still there this morning but its very misty down there.
Posted By: Dilly Re: photo opportunity docks - 16th Oct 2014 7:46am
Yes she is still slung ready for the lift. Mist has lifted and someone is setting up his camera gear so maybe they are ready.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: photo opportunity docks - 16th Oct 2014 9:28am
Great news that its going to be saved, its just a shame its another clasic ship going out of the area.

One thing tourists enjoy when they go to the Albert Dock area of Liverpool are all the boats.

When we get the dock areas developed round here, they're going to be empty and sterile, very much like Salford Quays.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: photo opportunity docks - 16th Oct 2014 9:50am
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/15/d-day-tank-carrier-landfall-refloated-liverpool
Posted By: Moonstar Re: photo opportunity docks - 16th Oct 2014 11:05am
That is good news Gibbo.

When I started to read this I thought it was about the wreck in the Birkenhead Dock - is that still there?
Posted By: Dilly Re: photo opportunity docks - 16th Oct 2014 11:20am
Yes Moonstar the Sarsia is still sunken by the black tower.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: photo opportunity docks - 16th Oct 2014 4:52pm
Still there tonight. You would need a drone to get good photos.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 6:43am
Still hanging in there this morning !
Posted By: Dilly Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 7:59am
Looks as though she is now up , there is a lot more of her visible from the road.
Posted By: snowhite Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 8:44am
You got your camera to take some pictures?Dilly.
Posted By: Dilly Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 9:00am
Sorry Snowy, don't know one end from the other with cameras, with any technology if I'm truthful smile
Posted By: granny Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 9:58am
Originally Posted by cools
Yes I remember the clubship landfall as well. Went to a couple of hen nights on it had great time. Torryman we are talking about the same ship/club or am I being dim?

Cools, I got confused too, as I thought it was in Canning Dock not Bootle. I used to go there just about every Friday. It was so much better than the other clubs of the time.(at least I thought so). We walked over a rickety thing across the dock. It would swing in the wind and always as dark as hell. Just followed our noses and hoped for the best. I wonder if we used to go in through the back entrance, if there was such a thing, never saw anyone else going that way. eek Albert Dock area is so vastly different now, it is completely unrecognizable as to how it was then. Mud , muck and dark is all I remember of that area.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 11:51am
Found a few old pics of the boat

Attached picture boat.jpg
Attached picture boat2.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 11:59am

Attached picture boat3.jpg
Posted By: Dilly Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 11:59am
Just been and had a look, still on the sling but sitting as she should be.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 12:42pm
one more, in the distance

Attached picture boat4.jpg
Posted By: cools Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 1:23pm
Yes Granny that,s what i remember now ,that bridge thing clinging on to the girl in front.Strange to think we were once on that poor wreak that's come out the dock. Happy days!
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 5:55pm

Attached picture aaa.jpg
Attached picture aaaa.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 5:56pm

Attached picture aaaaa.jpg
Attached picture aaaaaa.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 7:52pm
I waited for about 15mins on Thursday( no patience!!)

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ZipperClub Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 9:41pm
Great picture tho, cheers Buddy
Posted By: granny Re: photo opportunity docks - 17th Oct 2014 10:07pm
Originally Posted by cools
Yes Granny that,s what i remember now ,that bridge thing clinging on to the girl in front.Strange to think we were once on that poor wreak that's come out the dock. Happy days!

Must have our DNA on it somewhere, Cools !
Just remembered ,that's where I first met my husband.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: photo opportunity docks - 18th Oct 2014 1:38pm
Article in todays Daily Express about the boat

© Wirral-Wikiwirral