Forums
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 12:22pm
I was suprised to see that Brooklyn's restaurant in the new development had already closed down. I know that there is a lot of competition with other eateries down there but was it really that bad? ( never went there myself but my daughter went when it first opened and thought it was OK)
Posted By: jaki12 Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 12:46pm
It is opening up as "La Tasca" in the next couple of weeks.
Posted By: cathie Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 1:02pm
Aawww no, they did the best peanut butter & jelly milkshakes mmmmmm
Posted By: j_demo Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 1:22pm
it was a bit expensive i found, honestly not surprised it's gone.
Posted By: poppet Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 1:27pm
Didn't rate it to be honest. Thought it was a bit 'canteeny'.

Food- not great. Service-poor/average. Cleaning of tables, floor etc.-Very poor (sadly often seems to be the case in a lot of places)
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 2:35pm
Originally Posted by poppet
Didn't rate it to be honest. Thought it was a bit 'canteeny'.

Food- not great. Service-poor/average. Cleaning of tables, floor etc.-Very poor (sadly often seems to be the case in a lot of places)

I agree, not surpirsed it's shut, service terrible, long wait for food, food served nearly cold like it's been left standing, coffee cold (and charged for after we had complained) we only went twice and never again as it was awful. What got us was on the times we visited it wasn't that busy and yet it was poor. I would have understood mistakes or delays if they were run off their feet.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 2:40pm
Originally Posted by jaki12
It is opening up as "La Tasca" in the next couple of weeks.

If it ends up anything like the one in Liverpool hopefully it'll close shortly after. thumbsdown
Posted By: MikeT Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 3:13pm
Originally Posted by Brown_Horrocks
I know that there is a lot of competition with other eateries down there but was it really that bad?

Heard a lot of reports of very poor service, to be expected when they just opened and staff were finding their feet, but unacceptable after a week or two.

Anyone been to the new Wetherspoons in NB? Went in the other day to check it out and walked straight back out. Very weird decor and full of chavs.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 3:44pm
Haven't been in yet but not heard a good word about it so far !!
Posted By: j_demo Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 3:44pm
Originally Posted by MikeT

Anyone been to the new Wetherspoons in NB? Went in the other day to check it out and walked straight back out. Very weird decor and full of chavs.

that's the main contingent of weatherspoons customers, chavs.

plus it's taken the place of their favourite Boxing ring club, RJ's & the playa$ lounge, so they will naturally flock to where they know. unfortunately.

with the seahorse etc down there, whoever goes to that 'spoons for food needs shooting really, the food in weatherspoons is the worst i've ever tried! ok the beer is a reasonable price, but that's the only positive thing about it. i still wouldn't go there though, would rather pay 20p more a pint and go somewhere nice like the seahorse or even the nelson on grove road.

/rantaboutweatherpoons
Posted By: sparky Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 4:16pm
I have been to Wetherspoons for food and it is a lovely place and the food is great aswell.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 5:37pm
Went in during the week, the architect and interior designer need to go to Specsavers. Just about the most horrible decor I have ever seen. Usually Wetherspoons are great at interior design but this Pub looks atrocious.
Posted By: McFlurry Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 5th May 2013 9:58pm
full of chavs.

Welcome to Wirral
Posted By: MikeT Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 6th May 2013 4:30am
Originally Posted by j_demo
i still wouldn't go there though, would rather pay 20p more a pint and go somewhere nice like the seahorse or even the nelson on grove road.

withthat
Posted By: MikeT Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 6th May 2013 4:35am
Originally Posted by kenmo52
Went in during the week, the architect and interior designer need to go to Specsavers. Just about the most horrible decor I have ever seen. Usually Wetherspoons are great at interior design but this Pub looks atrocious.

It's so dark and gloomy inside. They missed a real opportunity there - having practically rebuilt the place, being in a seaside resort it should have been light and airy.

And those awful egg-shaped fire pit things in the front - words fail me. Totally inappropriate for a Victorian seaside resort.
Posted By: newbrightonier Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 6th May 2013 4:57pm
Brooklyns touted itself as an American Diner, when it couldn't be more removed in terms of food and service. The food in the first couple of weeks was fine, then you could see them starting to cut corners, chicken nuggets passed off as chicken goujons etc. Not sure I'll be having the squid dishes at the new gaff though:(

There really isn't anything to choose between Seahorse and Wetherspoons for food, both serve up the "already prepared in a bag" food. When you pay a tenner for two meals and two soft drinks you know it isn't going to be Claridges.

Posted By: saltytom Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 7th May 2013 3:11pm
Never been in a weatherspoons or a seahorse both look the same to me dark and very unwelcoming.
Went to Brooklyns twice first time very good but slow second time total disaster we had to leave before the starter came we had waited 40 mins we were going to the cinema.
It was explained to us that the kitchen had been built to small and could not handle the number of covers that the floor space could take.
So unless La Tasca are going to increase the kitchen capacity the will have the same problem.
I will give it a go
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 7th May 2013 3:15pm
Surprised it lasted as long as it did. Went twice but only to give them the benefit of the doubt after the first awful visit. Just as bad. Expensive, poor service, poor quality.
No atmosphere.
I believe the staff have been kept on which may not be a good thing but we will see.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 7th May 2013 9:12pm
Originally Posted by kenmo52

It's so dark and gloomy inside. They missed a real opportunity there - having practically rebuilt the place, being in a seaside resort it should have been light and airy.

And those awful egg-shaped fire pit things in the front - words fail me. Totally inappropriate for a Victorian seaside resort.

Which bit of it do you think is a Victorian seaside resort? The Travel Lodge? Home Bargains? The Floral Pavillion? Morrisons???

Unfortunately the images that are now conjured up by the words 'Victorian seaside resort' are 'old', 'shabby' and tacky, like Blackpool & Rhyl. Sad but true.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 8th May 2013 11:53pm
Seaside Cafe over the road does some good grub but only open during the day I think.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 9th May 2013 11:36am
Originally Posted by Zubee
Unfortunately the images that are now conjured up by the words 'Victorian seaside resort' are 'old', 'shabby' and tacky, like Blackpool & Rhyl. Sad but true.

Nah, I'd think of Llandudno and Scarborough. But unfortunately the latter is now being attacked by stag and hen parties and has gone downhill.
Posted By: Userpam82 Re: Brooklyn's New Brighton - 10th May 2013 10:23am
Went to the new la tasca the other night, never been there before I thought the service was very friendly and the food was lovely I will be going again smile

The staff are Spanish..... I think.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral