Forums
Posted By: Focuzed Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 1:37pm
Hi all, i have just found out on good authority that Poundland is planning to open next too HomeBargains in New Brighton,sign of the economic times eh?
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 2:23pm
Shame really, its looking pretty nice down there at the moment, will attract all the ne'er do wells.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 4:14pm
What's wrong with poundland moving there?
Posted By: arwen444 Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 4:50pm
its going through planning now, a clothes shop would have been nice, wouldnt have to every leave new brighton then
Posted By: arwen444 Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 4:52pm
its going through planning now, a clothes shop would have been nice, wouldnt have to every leave new brighton then
Posted By: arwen444 Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 5:12pm
Posted By: smiler123 Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 6:25pm
i'm happy with poundland, but what about liscard, it's already got a poundland a homebargain and a weatherspoons
Posted By: boogaloo Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 7:42pm
hmm haven't heard that one yet. I've only heard of a new subway opening xx
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 22nd Feb 2013 8:06pm
I'd be happy with both...get some cracking' bargains in Poundland and loooove Subway smile
Posted By: henry Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 23rd Feb 2013 12:00am
grinthe more poundland stores the better
Posted By: davew3 Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 23rd Feb 2013 10:44am
So they are turning the area into any shopping area in the country, how long before the charity shops come in and take over, I thought Wirral Council was trying to start anew with that area, it started well and is now expected to fall into the usual disrepair in a few years, same same everywhere,no wonder the country is falling to 3rd world status, with no new idea's on anything.
Posted By: rottylady Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 23rd Feb 2013 7:19pm
I shopped in poundland, many many times in the past, not anymore though, they are a mutli-million pound company who think they can get away with employing young people for free they should be fiercely resisted. How long before young people are expected to slave away for six months before they see a penny of wages, or a year? And what happens to existing workers in poundland when they start taking on hordes of unpaid staff ie mandatory work placements, with no workplace rights and use them to drive down wages and working conditions for everyone
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 23rd Feb 2013 7:21pm
withthat
Posted By: catlover Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 23rd Feb 2013 7:30pm
fully agree sunnyside
Posted By: Shambo Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 23rd Feb 2013 11:47pm
Poundland have quit the 'back to work/forced labour' scheme because of that Cait Reilly winning her court case. Not that they were against a bit of free labour before she won, just that since then it's bad publicity.

Poundland is the absolute f*****g pits of humanity in my opinion, and Subway makes sandwiches like Satan pinches faecal loaves from his majestic satanic sphincter, as far as I can tell.

Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 24th Feb 2013 7:12pm
May I add that poundland are not the only ones guilty of this, they are just following many other shops that have been doing it for a while now. think you will find most of your high Street shops are guilty of it, I no of asda and Wilkinson doing it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 24th Feb 2013 8:41pm
washing up liquid Poundland £1 Aldi 69p. Mind you you can buy 24 AAA batteries for a quid but ive not found anything they will power
Posted By: rottylady Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 24th Feb 2013 10:00pm
Poundland must think the public are stupid,
It’ still workfare, but carefully reworded by Poundland, with a little help from the DWP
Poundland Work Experience Programme
“”In light of the news about the Department of Work and Pensions work experience case, we would like to announce that * WE HAVE BEEN WORKING IN PARTNERSHIP WITH JOBCENTRE PLUS TO LAUNCH OUR OWN WORK EXPERIENCE* for those considering a career in retail
http://www.poundland.co.uk/press-centre/press-centre-2013/
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 24th Feb 2013 11:03pm
tesco

waterstones

matalan

sainsbury's

asda

Poundland, Boots, Argos and TK Maxx, and the Arcadia group (including Topshop and Burton) are also involved

so not just poundland think
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 24th Feb 2013 11:05pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
washing up liquid Poundland £1 Aldi 69p. Mind you you can buy 24 AAA batteries for a quid but ive not found anything they will power
yer but who wants washing up liquid with horse in it raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 25th Feb 2013 9:12am
Originally Posted by Shambo

Subway makes sandwiches like Satan pinches faecal loaves from his majestic satanic sphincter,

Genius

K
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 25th Feb 2013 12:20pm
Originally Posted by Shambo

Subway makes sandwiches like Satan pinches faecal loaves from his majestic satanic sphincter,

Classic
Posted By: j_demo Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 25th Feb 2013 12:43pm
i'm not against the idea of a poundland opening up down there, but i'd also like a guitar/music shop, an indipendant clothes shop and possibly one of them milkshake bar things that blends sweets etc with ice cream and milk (like sblended in liverpool-1) that'd be a massive hit in the summer down there.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 25th Feb 2013 5:42pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
tesco

waterstones

matalan

sainsbury's

asda

Poundland, Boots, Argos and TK Maxx, and the Arcadia group (including Topshop and Burton) are also involved

so not just poundland think

and now 'Sue Ryder Charity Shop' is joining the list.

http://www.boycottworkfare.org/
Posted By: rottylady Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 25th Feb 2013 7:46pm
In a humiliating blow to Iain Duncan Smith’s mass workfare schemes, charity Sue Ryder have said they will issue a “phased withdrawal” from mandatory DWP workfare programmes.
This announcement came late today after hundreds of people contacted them over the weekend threatening to boycott the charity unless they ended workfare.
The charity state:
“Recent online lobbying using strong and emotive language and making misleading claims about our volunteering practices has presented a risk to our critical work. Equally we need to protect our service users, their families, our supporters and Sue Ryder staff and volunteers from any further distress.
Therefore, we have taken the decision to withdraw from the DWP’s mandatory back-to-work schemes. We do this with a heavy heart as our volunteers, including those on placements, regularly tell us how much they have benefited from their time with us and we are immensely grateful to them for their time
from their time with us and we are immensely grateful to them for their time and dedication. We will undertake a phased withdrawal from the scheme so as not to financially disadvantage any of our volunteers on this type of placement.”

In truth outrage about Sue Ryder’s activities exploded when the charity tried to misrepresent their unpaid workers by referring to them as ‘volunteers’. Many people forced to work at the charity were on the Mandatory Work Activity scheme. Under DWP rules claimants cannot volunteer for this scheme. Sue Ryder also had participants on the Community Action Programme, six months workfare which is anything but ‘voluntary’.
Sue Ryder were the only charity so far to admit they would use sick and disabled workfare staff. In a major blow for the Government’s plans to force sick and disabled claimants to work unpaid
http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/201...phased-withdrawl-from-workfare/#comments
Posted By: Shambo Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 25th Feb 2013 9:35pm
Originally Posted by Katryn

Thank you for that updated list of participating companies. No more shopping in ASDA Liscard for me. I'll travel a little further and happily pay a little more in Morrisons instead.

Maybe I could pick up a Subway while I'm there?... or maybe not.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 25th Feb 2013 11:40pm
Sue Ryder can kiss my big fat arse.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 26th Feb 2013 1:40am
Why don't the people put in these shops just do a crap job at it, like if put in asda, if a customer asks where something is say `we don't sell that sh¡t in here you need to go to morrisons, or just drop everything you go to put on the shelves raftl
Posted By: TheDr Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 26th Feb 2013 2:10am
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
Why don't the people put in these shops just do a crap job at it, like if put in asda, if a customer asks where something is say `we don't sell that sh¡t in here you need to go to morrisons, or just drop everything you go to put on the shelves raftl

You've obviously never shopped in Poundland, it'd be such an improvement on the regular staff you'd be promoted to manager within a week. seeyu
Posted By: paulph Re: Poundland New Brighton? - 26th Feb 2013 8:07pm
love asking how much does this cost in pound land to see the puzzled look on their face ;-)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral