Forums
Posted By: helenb234 road closed - 29th Dec 2012 6:55pm
lorry stuck under the bridge on woodchurch road! from asda the road is closed and being diverted to motorway
Posted By: neilmcc Re: road closed - 29th Dec 2012 7:14pm
It's not a wilkinsons one again is it
Posted By: helenb234 Re: road closed - 29th Dec 2012 7:33pm
haha no, the motorway junction is blocked off also so if like me you live that way you have to go all around world
Posted By: gopher Re: road closed - 29th Dec 2012 8:15pm
Asda container vehicle.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: road closed - 29th Dec 2012 10:53pm
It must have been a big container. Double deck buses swarm under it no bother! As well as Mr Plod's interest, a "Bridge Strike" (in Network Rail's parlance) will cost the firm mega-bucks. Any damage to bridge and stopping all trains up & down whilst examination of structure is carried out.

Good luck in your next job lorry driver !

Just thought..... I'm assuming this WAS the railway bridge and not one of the pedestrian bridges ??

If the latter, please ignore the former (?)
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: road closed - 31st Dec 2012 12:40am
If it was the railway bridge it won't be the first time ... Just a bit of history but a number of Boy Scouts were killed attending the 'First Boy Scout Jamboree' in Arrowe park, when the top was ripped off their double decker bus under that same bridge (that's why the road floods,it was lowered after that to allow double deckers to pass under).
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: road closed - 31st Dec 2012 3:46am
Lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: road closed - 31st Dec 2012 10:11am
@ianbx1. I recall reading somewhere about that tragic accident. I suspect that "may" have been the original railway bridge. The present bridge was erected in the 1930's when Woodchurch Road was widened and houses started to be built in the area.

I think I asked a while ago if anyone had any photographs of that original bridge. I've never come across any at all. My request drew a blank. Anyone ......... ??
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: road closed - 1st Jan 2013 4:22pm
Sorry, you are correct, the accident happened in 1929 and as you say the road was widened in the 1930's, I should have said was under the old bridge in that spot. I too would be interested in seeing a photo of that old bridge.
Posted By: Katryn Re: road closed - 1st Jan 2013 5:04pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Lol

lol at what?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: road closed - 1st Jan 2013 5:15pm
Originally Posted by Katryn
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Lol

lol at what?

The lorry getting stuck, surely driving a lorry all the time you would be aware of low bridges, trees etc?

It is laughable. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral