Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Wirral column - 15th Nov 2012 9:16am
Probably discussed already somewhere, in which case I apologise, but I'm interested in this kilometres high spinning column of steam and light - the work of on Anthony McCall of NYC - that is supposed to rise from the East Float docks.

How is it supposed to be done? I know it's been delayed and the Art Council has said it isn't going to put any more money behind it, but as I understand it it is still supposed to be going ahead.

I wonder if anyone has seen any pictures of the equipment that will be used to produce it, or indeed seen the equipment itself? It's supposed to be in the East Float dock at the moment, but I can't see anything that might be it. Can anyone help with this?

I've seen the artists impressions of what it is supposed to look like and they are quite dramatic, but I can't really believe it's possible, although I would be very happy to be proved wrong.

Any information would be very welcome. Thanks in anticipation.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral column - 15th Nov 2012 1:03pm
Suggest you phone Wirral Council, tourism department. If anyone knows, they should be able to help. 0151 666 3188

Posted By: smiler123 Re: Wirral column - 15th Nov 2012 8:58pm
http://www.column2012.com/

Posted By: smiler123 Re: Wirral column - 15th Nov 2012 9:05pm
Hi hope these two pages help you

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...n-is-delayed-until-2013-100252-32226760/
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral column - 17th Nov 2012 12:49pm
Thanks smiler123. A bit more info there.

It appears that it IS in the dock at th moment. I will look again more carefully.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Wirral column - 17th Nov 2012 4:24pm
I think it's a shame this has had so many problems. I for one hope this does go ahead and become a permanent feature on the landscape.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral column - 18th Nov 2012 11:13am
I'm rather doubtful it will work at all, but I'll be very interested to see how far they get. As to a permanent feature of the landscape, I'm unconvinced if it would add much. Lets see it working first though.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral column - 18th Nov 2012 3:18pm
Seems to work OK. They just got the location a little wrong perhaps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-20385272
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Wirral column - 18th Nov 2012 8:04pm
They used my work to construct a miniature version but that was hit and miss and involving gas and electric in such a small space I'd love to know what fail safe devices they will use cause there were none used at the Time !
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Wirral column - 18th Nov 2012 9:57pm
Nuff said. Half a mill, bugger I.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral column - 20th Nov 2012 10:25am
Originally Posted by sean99789
They used my work to construct a miniature version but that was hit and miss and involving gas and electric in such a small space I'd love to know what fail safe devices they will use cause there were none used at the Time !

Sounds interesting Sean. Can you tell us any more?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Wirral column - 20th Nov 2012 2:04pm
So now we know, it's been binned. Wonder who got whacks from the .5 million though.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral column - 20th Nov 2012 10:06pm
I don't know that it HAS been binned. I know the Arts Council funding is coming to an end, but they emphasised that they still supported it going ahead.

Where did you get this sad news BandyCoot?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral column - 21st Nov 2012 10:36pm
I've found it!

Its moored in the east float near the roundabout at the Birkenhead side of Four Bridges, next to the steel suppliers.

Its a sort of octagonal cone with a kind of vent arrangement in a little tower above it. I guess its about two or three metres across and about the same height. Its mounted on a barge with a few bits of equipment on it, and was completely deserted when I saw it.

It seems most unlikely to be able to generate a spinning column at all, let alone one that goes up to the troposphere and is visible 60 miles away.

Pity, but it seems to be about as likely to work as antigravity or perpetual motion.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral