Forums
Posted By: lansyp mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 5:59pm
hi hope this is in the right place .we came back from euro disney on a coach today and we where stopped at the booth and told that three axle buses are no longer allowed through the tunnel .there are no signes to tell you this and we where not told on sunday when we went through that there would be a change .and the git with the glasses being a jobs worth was a snotty git .just thought i would let every body know incase you drive a three axle bus .oh yes and stopping buses when they come through and telling you is there way of advertising this ,shower of flipping idiots
Posted By: cmw2a Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 6:06pm
Have a look at this website:

http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/fees.php
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 6:40pm
I was behind a 3 axle National Express coach on Wednesday evening about 10pm...;))
Posted By: Anonymous Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 6:59pm
I couldn't see anything on the link (Tolls/catagories) about prohibition of 3 axle vehicles.

Could be interesting if I take take the trusty Pinzgauer through ?? think
Posted By: cmw2a Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 7:40pm
ok, sorted - I've spoken to the tunnel supervisor - you can take a three axle coach through the Wallasey Tunnel, but not the Birkenhead one. Seems it's been like that for 10/15 years.
Tunnel buses go through, so as not to disrupt the routes, but coaches can't.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 7:48pm
OK. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: lansyp Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 7:54pm
no apparently this is a new law not an old one .the coach came both way last sunday through the birkenhead and has done so on other occasions but now they are telling him they cant and why not advertise the fact instead of telling the driver at the booth and talking to them like there stupid
Posted By: dave_g Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 8:11pm
is it just me that thinks,what does it matter?busses go through all day long,does it matter how many wheels it has?
Posted By: cmw2a Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 8:34pm
Tunnel regulations, to try and reduce the amount of weight that's being carried through the older tunnel - at least that's what they just told me.
Posted By: Salmon Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 8:44pm
From this site http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/faq.php

21. What is the maximum gross vehicle weight permitted in either of the tunnels?

For the Queensway (Birkenhead) Tunnel the maximum permitted gross vehicle weight is 3.5 tonnes, except for local bus services and emergency vehicles. For the Kingsway (Wallasey) Tunnel, the maximum permitted gross vehicle weight is 38 tonnes. Anything above that weight may still travel subject to prior approval based on a load calculation basis. For further details please email [email protected]
Posted By: bushnut Re: mersey tunnels - 8th Jun 2012 10:30pm
This has been the case for YEARS. Only public buses are entitled to use Queensway tunnel. No HGVs are allowed either, and haven't been for a very long time.

Not quite sure how many signs you want??

Attached picture ScreenHunter_01 08-Jun-12.jpg
Attached picture ScreenHunter_02 08-Jun-12.jpg
Attached picture ScreenHunter_03 08-Jun-12.jpg
Posted By: Paul05 Re: mersey tunnels - 9th Jun 2012 11:35am
Originally Posted by cmw2a
ok, sorted - I've spoken to the tunnel supervisor - you can take a three axle coach through the Wallasey Tunnel, but not the Birkenhead one. Seems it's been like that for 10/15 years.

Yes it is one of the more daft rules as a 3 axle vehicle would have the weight more evenly distributed so you would think it was allowed
Posted By: Anonymous Re: mersey tunnels - 9th Jun 2012 1:57pm
Originally Posted by Paul05
Originally Posted by cmw2a

Yes it is one of the more daft rules as a 3 axle vehicle would have the weight more evenly distributed so you would think it was allowed

Quite right. Commonsense says 3 axles WILL spread the load more evenly. However, commonsense is a very rare commodity these days. Virtually unobtainable in fact!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral