Forums
Posted By: dizdazdoz Polling Stations - 4th May 2012 6:29pm
Yesterday I went to vote in Bromborough Library and was the only person in their, it happened to a friend later on in the same venue.

Schools were closed yesterday and I would guess that the same situation was happening their too, many parents will have taken days off work costing the economy, costing families and affecting buisness.

I understand why we need a polling station at regular(ish) intervals for elderly,disabled and other disadvantaged people, however there was another polling station in Mendell School which I would guess is about 0.3 miles away and with postal voting and such like do we now need as many polling stations?

Not having them in schools but in Libraries, church hall's or whatever would surely help those I mentioned above and save money. The turnout for Wirral elections was 36.39%, total votes was 86,529.

What I am saying is do we need all the disruption for just over 1/3 to vote? The lowest % turnout on Wirral was a 25.9% turnout in Seacombe.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Polling Stations - 4th May 2012 7:42pm
The law says that their has to be a certain amount of polling stations made available for people to vote, at the moment it doesn't force people using the law to come out to vote, if people can't be bothered then they can't complain if 35% of people put politicians in charge that they voted for or didn't.
Posted By: manic28_am Re: Polling Stations - 4th May 2012 8:08pm
All schools are required to close 5 days a year for in-service training (INSET / Baker Days). If a school is also a polling station, the school has to make polling day one of their INSET days. This means that your child is not missing out compared to a child from another school... as all children are off 5 days in total for this reason.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Polling Stations - 4th May 2012 9:26pm
25% turnout is disgusting i.m.o. Why is it that people don't bother voting? think
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Polling Stations - 4th May 2012 10:12pm
I always vote - even if it's a case of just voting for the least objectionable! I would feel guilty if I didn't use my vote. People are quick enough to whinge about the way things are going, but so many can't be bothered to actually think about it, and go out there and try to make a difference. Grrr!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Polling Stations - 4th May 2012 11:17pm
I always vote too. Peeps, listen to 'State of Mind' by Fish. wink
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Polling Stations - 5th May 2012 8:15am
I vote but why ?

Waste of time I think
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Polling Stations - 5th May 2012 1:05pm
I understand schools have to close 5 days per year etc, however this is about costs effective measure's I was more on about. 2 polling stations in 0.3 miles is extreme I feel. the the school decides that it will use Fri as a teacher training day include the bank holiday and the kids are off nearlly a week just after easter, I bet loads of bosses are happy with that.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral