Forums
Posted By: Vanmanone 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 7:07am
Anyone notice any price hikes today ... my local Shell garage at Hinderton, Chester high rd, has put 2 pence a ltr on diesel £1.47/9 overnight, No Diesel either` Sold Out
Who did`nt see that coming hey!!
Posted By: gingevans Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 8:21am
PURE UNDERHANDED OPPORTUNISM. The same kind of opportunism a thief would cop to if caught. Yet, it's not worth calling the police because the government are sending in our own British Army to keep the swindle alive.

If a petrol station buy's 100,000 L of fuel, sells most, or all of it- thats good business. How can they bump up the price for the remaining fuel when there really won't be a shortage because the army will be driving the tankers while the unite union go on strike. It's not like no fuel will be delivered during the strikes & we have a refinary at stanlow.

The wages the army are paid are probably far less than the drivers so surely it would be costing the fuel companies less to make their deliveries so could afford to make more of them.

At the end of the day, the fuel companies provide a service of refining & delivering fuel, it's the government greed that causes the most distress & makes the most profit from very little input.

The "funny handshake" brigade strike again & they're good at the theatricals of mis-direction.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 9:28am
When the strikes actually hit, expect that figure to be more like 10-20p+ overnight.

Just greedy bar stewards, really, no other reason for it.
Posted By: little_pob Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 9:58am
Basic supply and demand: With the panic buying, the demand goes up but the suppply remains the same - therefore prices go up. If the strikes do affect supply, expect higher prices again.

Also if they've run out of fuel, they have to buy more. If the wholesale price has gone up, this is passed onto the customer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the price of fuel isn't too high, just that there is a reason for it beyond pure profiteering.
Posted By: davew3 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 10:03am
I see the BBC news is "helping" in it's usual way of being very helpful to this gang of lunatics in charge at the unions and goverment, the public can take a run and jump.
Posted By: dave_h Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 12:26pm
i think their short of cash for the olympics myself and need an injection of taxes to cover gaps
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 12:33pm
The tax has not changed (yet), its the fuel companys raising their prices not the govenment doing it.
Posted By: dave_h Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 12:35pm
as in they need more tax revenue not a change, more petrol buying means more taxes to pay means more money for the government
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 12:39pm
How the hell do you people notice a 2 pence rise?

In fact how do you even notice its gone up?

Am I the only one who doesn't check the price boards?

Get over it or get a mountain bike simples!!!

You wanna drive what I drive THEN you could have room to moan lol.

(my thoughts anyroad).
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 1:22pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

(my thoughts anyroad).
The Worst "i`ve got plenty of cash and drive a big car" post ever happy
Posted By: lau2908 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 1:41pm

(my thoughts anyroad).

I totally agree, I have no idea ever how much petrol is, I NEVER EVER check, if you want to drive you need petrol if you cant afford it get a mountain bike like ste said or walk.

I will only ever use V power or bp ultimate etc too, now lets have a heart attack because thats probably 10p more than normal unleaded haha
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 2:15pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone

(my thoughts anyroad).
The Worst "i`ve got plenty of cash and drive a big car" post ever happy

Er no!

Think of it like this... learn

You goto your local gas station and check to see if the fuels gone up 3 pence or whatever and to your horror it's gone up a pound! oshocked

You need your car/van anyway so what you going to do?

Pay the extra quid and think f@%# it? Or walk away and refuse to pay the prices?

Soooo, what's the point in checking the prices???

Think about it wink

That's today's lesson over class, now think.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 3:06pm
Noticing how prices have gone up helps you keep an eye on which places are cheaper. Not all places go up the same amount at the same time. Some of you may be fine paying up to 10p per litre extra for the same stuff, thats fine if your not on a budget. For those of us who are, 3p per litre can mean a lot of difference.

I constantly check fuel prices from every fuel station I live near to see which is the best to go with when filling up. The only loyalty card I have is my bank card.

Having to pay their prices, doesnt mean you have to pay the more expensive prices 'just because'.

Would you pay motorway services prices without even looking at how much it is per litre? If so then you are in a much better situation than me (and I would bet a lot of folk atm)
Posted By: lau2908 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 3:08pm
All in all though i doubt the few pence here an there makes any noticeable difference
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 3:10pm
It does (well at least I think it does), especially over time. More so if you rely on your car as transport, not everyone can use a mountain bike wink
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 3:24pm
Dont buy into the optimax, v power shite,

Great if your driving a car with a modded ECU to except the 99 / 100 RON like a top end Ferrari / porka with the knock sensor disabled

A-B ers no noticable gains, Tesco fuel believe it or not has been found to provide better gains than the Shell / BP counter parts

Full boring discussion is below

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=314342
Posted By: lau2908 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 3:43pm
car is modded and mapped so dont like to put cheap crap in
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 3:50pm
Lau wasn't a dig just an educated comment

Have known peeps to full tank a gallardo and expect it to go noticably faster, doesn't really work like that

Octane content isn't high enough over here to benifit unless specifically mapped to reap the benifits

Cheap crap is same fuel just lower octane content would need a prodrive or P3 remap to notice full effect fair enough if thats what you meant

600 BHP overfinch with a corvette z1 engine runs no different with optimax than that on Asda's fuel smile

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 4:22pm
Originally Posted by lau2908
All in all though i doubt the few pence here an there makes any noticeable difference

withthat

Also I'm pretty sure the extra travelling for "bargain fuel" lol would in the end run cost more therefore resulting in a waste of time and expense lol laugh

Give up people, stop the whining and pay up smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 4:22pm
Anything turbo charged will see an advantage of using VPower and the higher octane fuels - maybe not so much of a performace gain (Unless mapped with more ignition advance) but the higher octane will help prevent det with the standard ignition map, it will also alow you to run more boost safely - as it runs cleaner and thus cooler, the engine can produce more power.

The higher octane fuels also burn more cleanly and will make any engine run better and more efficiently, on normal cars however, the advantages of running the higher priced fuel are out weighed by the cost.

5th Gear did a test of a few of the fuels a while ago on various car - a Clio, Golf GTi and an Impreza...

[youtube]gQghB4asSnI[/youtube]
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 4:29pm
Also I'm pretty sure the extra travelling for "bargain fuel" lol would in the end run cost more therefore resulting in a waste of time and expense lol laugh

Not really, if I have to go to a certain place, I will check all the garages along the way, then if I need fuel will go to the cheapest option on the way back, no extra expense or time, just saving money wink

Give up people, stop the whining and pay up smile

Nope, not whining just paying less for the same laugh
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 5:30pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Anything turbo charged will see an advantage of using VPower and the higher octane fuels - maybe not so much of a performace gain (Unless mapped with more ignition advance) but the higher octane will help prevent det with the standard ignition map, it will also alow you to run more boost safely - as it runs cleaner and thus cooler, the engine can produce more power.

The higher octane fuels also burn more cleanly and will make any engine run better and more efficiently, on normal cars however, the advantages of running the higher priced fuel are out weighed by the cost.

5th Gear did a test of a few of the fuels a while ago on various car - a Clio, Golf GTi and an Impreza...

[youtube]gQghB4asSnI[/youtube]

Knew i'd seen a test like that somewhere didn't want to quote as wasn't sure wether it was 5th gear TG or some random cack like wheeler dealers, as Stuey said engine needs to be geared up to run on it to notice any proper gains
Posted By: lau2908 Re: 2 pence on a ltr Diesel over night - 28th Mar 2012 7:05pm
as Stuey said engine needs to be geared up to run on it to notice any proper gains

Tis a good job it is otherwise it wouldnt be worth it laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral