Forums
Posted By: dizdazdoz Electrician price? - 8th Jan 2012 6:57pm
Hi and sorry if this is in wrong place been looking for a while now on here?

I am after a guide price before electrician quotes me:

We have the pull cord in our bathroom for an electric shower which a plumber is installing. The plumber said the electrician nees to run about 3-4 feet of electric cable from the top of the pull cord ceiling cover thing to where the shower will be fitted and that's all.

Any ideas what a rough price should be as dont want to be ripped off?
Posted By: JonRon Re: Electrician price? - 8th Jan 2012 7:01pm
I can't answer the question, BUT, I do know a good electrician if you want me to ask him to contact you?
Posted By: mikroc Re: Electrician price? - 8th Jan 2012 7:01pm
contact sanchez on here am sure hes a recomended spark on here
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Electrician price? - 8th Jan 2012 7:15pm
Yep another vote for sanchez. Done a few jobs in my house and thoroughly recommend him smile

TheMrs
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Electrician price? - 8th Jan 2012 8:39pm
Cheers peeps, will contact Sanchez as spark sontacting me tomorrow to sort out when to come and price it up.
Posted By: insanekitty Re: Electrician price? - 9th Jan 2012 12:27am
Hi Diz Daz
As an proper qualified electrician I would be asking a few questions first.
1 - Is the cable to the shower properly rated - I'm thinking you have just had a plumber in to replace your old one so have you gone for a bigger wattage shower and is the cable ok.
2 - Is the circuit breaker of the correct rating and is it of the correct type.
3 - Is the rest of your installation up to scratch ie is your incoming water and gas supplies correctly earthed and are all of your pipes correctly cross bonded.

If the above is all ok ( and I am pretty sure I forgot some other things) then I would go ahead and install your cable. 10mm or 6mm at approx £5/£3 per meter Plus about an hours labour if straightforward = £40. Plus notification fee to the LABC for a job in a high risk area = £6.00. Total = £56.00

OR .....

Get your mates mate the "so called electrician" in who will come round in a dodgy looking van with NO signwriting and no telephone numbers on it, not registered with any National Body, probably done just a couple of weeks on a government funded back to work course, who will just turn up and connect your shower up for the princely sum of £20.00 CASH!
Just remember when he has left to check your insurance policy because they are now refusing to pay out on claims from electrical fires if there is no paper trail of recent work done, ie certificates and LABC notifications etc.

Sorry if this is long winded but I had to wind my business up 2 years ago due to being a fully qualified City & Guilds Proper Electrician who done things by the book. None of my customers EVER had cause for complaint and always asked me back to do more work and recommended me to others. Yes I have done cash jobs and continue to do so as we all have to survive but just think of this one last thing.....

..... would you let anyone play around with your gas pipes? Electric is just as dangerous as gas!

Steve - The Other electrician on WikiWirral

Posted By: insanekitty Re: Electrician price? - 9th Jan 2012 12:31am
Oh sorry

BTW If it was straight forward I would only charge £40 as I now dont have any overheads etc!

Steve
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Electrician price? - 9th Jan 2012 1:10am
Originally Posted by insanekitty
Hi Diz Daz
As an proper qualified electrician I would be asking a few questions first.
1 - Is the cable to the shower properly rated - I'm thinking you have just had a plumber in to replace your old one so have you gone for a bigger wattage shower and is the cable ok.
2 - Is the circuit breaker of the correct rating and is it of the correct type.
3 - Is the rest of your installation up to scratch ie is your incoming water and gas supplies correctly earthed and are all of your pipes correctly cross bonded.

If the above is all ok ( and I am pretty sure I forgot some other things) then I would go ahead and install your cable. 10mm or 6mm at approx £5/£3 per meter Plus about an hours labour if straightforward = £40. Plus notification fee to the LABC for a job in a high risk area = £6.00. Total = £56.00

OR .....

Get your mates mate the "so called electrician" in who will come round in a dodgy looking van with NO signwriting and no telephone numbers on it, not registered with any National Body, probably done just a couple of weeks on a government funded back to work course, who will just turn up and connect your shower up for the princely sum of £20.00 CASH!
Just remember when he has left to check your insurance policy because they are now refusing to pay out on claims from electrical fires if there is no paper trail of recent work done, ie certificates and LABC notifications etc.

Sorry if this is long winded but I had to wind my business up 2 years ago due to being a fully qualified City & Guilds Proper Electrician who done things by the book. None of my customers EVER had cause for complaint and always asked me back to do more work and recommended me to others. Yes I have done cash jobs and continue to do so as we all have to survive but just think of this one last thing.....

..... would you let anyone play around with your gas pipes? Electric is just as dangerous as gas!

Steve - The Other electrician on WikiWirral

In a nut shell really and £40 is a fair rate to pay, if the plumber charges you £60 its more than likely he has put a little extra on for his troubles...

Sanchez - couch potatoe addicted to skyrim!
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Electrician price? - 9th Jan 2012 1:47am
Not replacing an old one.

I live in a council house and our bathroom was re-fitted about 12-18 months ago, they put the pull cord in then and I asked what cable and they said that it will take any modern showers.

As for so called electrician I am using a mate for plumbing who is Gas Safe, run's his own company GBW Plumbing and as it's illegal for him to do the Electrics he is getting a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN who normally does all the wiring for him to come and give me a seperate quote. This also cover's GBW knowing they are working in a safe enviroment.

I was not and dont remember asking for someone dodgy to do it cash in hand as I have 3 daughter's and wouldn't take a silly gamble like that.

I dont mind using qualified people and paying "Cask in hand" if it suits both parties but wouldn't use a dodgy man in plain van do it.

All's I asked for was a genuine quote which seems to be around £56.00 so thanks I will know if I am being ripped of, if he quotes me LOTS more I will look for a cheaper qualified electrician
© Wirral-Wikiwirral