Forums
Posted By: Clive First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 9:42am
The co op on vittoria rd new brighton is closing down
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 10:47am
I feel sorry for the people that work there, I would like to give them a big hug, I will also miss their car park as I use it quite a lot whilst taxing vehicles in the post office over the rd.
The local scallies now have nowhere to do their beer runs and the local smackheads will be dissapointed they won't have anywhere to nick their bacon, cheese or coffee from.

I do feel sorry for the elderly residents who can't make it to morrisons, take Mabel for instance, an 86 year old widow, walking stick to help get around, imagine her horror when her local store closes?
She's already seen Victoria rd shops dissapear and be turned into a pisshead and cokehead "come edj ladddj i thinkam ard coz av ad abirra cokeee likeee" zone.
Mabel's had enough, Mabel's going in a home frown

I think now that buildings had its day and will be knocked down.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:15am
Very sorry to hear that.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:16am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
I feel sorry for the people that work there, I would like to give them a big hug, I will also miss their car park as I use it quite a lot whilst taxing vehicles in the post office over the rd.
The local scallies now have nowhere to do their beer runs and the local smackheads will be dissapointed they won't have anywhere to nick their bacon, cheese or coffee from.

I do feel sorry for the elderly residents who can't make it to morrisons, take Mabel for instance, an 86 year old widow, walking stick to help get around, imagine her horror when her local store closes?
She's already seen Victoria rd shops dissapear and be turned into a pisshead and coke head zone.
I think now that buildings had its day and will be knocked down.

Too true lol

When the Co Op bought somerfield and spent a fortune re-branding that store
the planning applications would have already been approved for morrisons, so , either
Someone didn't look , or didn't care about the possibility of a morrisons near by.

I doubt morrisons has anything to do with the store closing anyway.
Co op are closIng alot of stores that don't break even along with some of their travel agencies.
It's just the way it is........ Still a ball ache if you are employed by them frown
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:20am
Oh dear, this is sad news.
I am somewhat suprised though, as when I am in there it seems as busy as ever.
However, it seems to be a quick decision to make, as Morrisons has only been open around 10 weeks! Naturally in the early period of them being open, people will shop there, it's new!
I feel that the Co-op was pprobably struggling for a while, as it's so expensive and the main reason that locals went in was for the offers and the Lottery.
It may have been handy for Mabel but,they would be ripping her off with their prices.
As I said before,it is sad, redundantcies and an empty shop are not good at all!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:23am
Bezzy you think that ones dear you want to go in the one in trafalger road omg

The prices in there are revolting, especially since its in an area where most of the population are poor.

Personally I only went in the new Brighton one for salt and ciggies, it's sad to think the Victoria rd area is dissappearing rapidly.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:25am
I would have thought that the prices are fixed in all stores within a certain area Ste,I could be wrong!

The prices in there are revolting, especially since its in an area where most of the population are poor.
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:27am
Even before Morrisons was completed I heard it was closing and is going to become Home Bargains, the parent company T J Morris were advertising for Management staff about 4 months ago
Posted By: micsey Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:28am
as i said in the other post co,op are a rip off,some items are over £1.50 more? people wnat put up with it anymore,feel sorry for the staff though
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:28am
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
I would have thought that the prices are fixed in all stores within a certain area Ste,I could be wrong!

That's what I thought, unless I'm wrong and it's not a co op anymore.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:32am
Have you done a price comparison Ste? Take the price of six everyday items in NB and then razz down to Egeremont and do a check there.Post the results for all to see please.Thankyou. Lol
Posted By: ASE71 Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:36am
Take the price of six everyday items in NB and then razz down to Egeremont and do a check there.Post the results for all to see please.Thankyou. Lol

That is your mission should you choose to accept it...... Tick ..... Tick

Lol
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 11:40am
I think he's gone. Lol
Posted By: Clive Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 12:04pm
Originally Posted by PJH1612
Even before Morrisons was completed I heard it was closing and is going to become Home Bargains, the parent company T J Morris were advertising for Management staff about 4 months ago
i carnt see it becoming home and bargain, as there is one less than 5 mins away
Posted By: kamikazi Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 1:27pm
B&M anyone?

K
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 1:32pm
Only gossip but, I was told that 'Next' would be occupiying the unit next to Home Bargins.
Posted By: ck666 Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 4:13pm
my girlfriend works there and non of the staff have been told anything about the store being closed, but they have had a lot of customers asking them when the store is shutting down since they started building the new morrisons :s
Posted By: Clive Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 4:47pm
Only gossip but, I was told that 'Next' would be occupiying the unit next to Home Bargins.
I place my bet it will be Halfords
Posted By: louise127 Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 7:53pm
dont care who it is bit Co-op are mega expensive, dont they realise who their competetors are ie tesco. asda and now morries get a grip and reduce your over priced items and you may just stand half a chance in not disappearing all together
To be fair to the co-op in general they have come back from the dead and appear relatively financially stable with circa £400m profit last year. Their business model can't be that bad.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 18th Dec 2011 10:11pm
Oooh er! How much Willo? Lol
Originally Posted by Willo
I place my bet it will be Halfords
Posted By: baconbutty Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 19th Dec 2011 2:13am
Fantastic news. A rubbish dingey shop with rude staff. They rip you off on everything and even asked me.for id when I bought a lottery ticket. Just so you know I am twenty five with a.beard in a suit after work with my kids and pregnant wife.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 19th Dec 2011 4:02am
Originally Posted by baconbutty
Just so you know I am twenty five with a.beard in a suit after work with my kids and pregnant wife.

What do you work as?

Posted By: MikeT Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 19th Dec 2011 7:10am
Originally Posted by ASE71
I doubt morrisons has anything to do with the store closing anyway.

Agreed. That Co-op was always very expensive, though you can find a bargain in the section where they have stuff that has reached its sell by date.

Wouldn't ever do my weekly shop there though. Normally shop at Tesco but popped into the new Morrison's for the first time a couple of days ago and am quite impressed. Prices a penny or two higher but nothing to write home about.

Posted By: sambalina Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 24th Dec 2011 12:22pm
I used to work there years ago when it was a Kwik Save! Enjoyed working there too.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 26th Dec 2011 7:03am
Home bargains are expanding into the unit next door
Posted By: Snodvan Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 26th Dec 2011 11:02am
Originally Posted by Willo
The co op on vittoria rd new brighton is closing down

Willo, You SURE about this? My mum has asked in the Co-Op store and they deny that the store is closing

Snod
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 15th Jan 2012 6:42pm
Well this seems to have ground to a halt.
Posted By: Clive Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 15th Jan 2012 6:50pm
Well this seems to have ground to a halt.
well thats because i dont go reading old post's, or i forget, oh i do apologize.
it was the staff in postoffice on vittoria rd that told me about it.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 15th Jan 2012 7:19pm
Not sure if the greengrocers is going to survive much longer on Victoria Road. I do most of my fruit and veg shopping there. Fairly cheap and Ian, the man who runs it, seems to know most of his customers by their first name. It would be a shame if he closed. We've lost too many of these small shops in Wallasey. How many greengrocers left now? Around five? But lots of bloody take-aways. They never seem to close, more's the pity.
Posted By: Wench Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 15th Jan 2012 9:09pm
I hope he does survive as the difference in taste from his veg and that from the supermarkets is immense. I like to know that I'm getting local produce too. I can see the only way for local produce to survive being the likes of the Farmer's Markets.

I agree about the take-aways though. There's far too many, and most are crap! Not that I use them as I'd rather know what's gone in my food thanks raftl
Posted By: Touchstone Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 15th Jan 2012 10:25pm
There are some Veg delivery box schemes that deliver fresh produce to your door every week. Can be a bit expensive and the delivery times aren't always convenient for people but the produce is usually local.

Personally, I hope Ian and his ilk survive as they're important for a vibrant community. I never go to the Morrison's as I want my money to stay local. Also, the sheer amount of packaging that comes with supermarket veg is a disgusting waste of vital resources.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: First victim of new morrisons n/brighton - 16th Jan 2012 7:53am
Originally Posted by Touchstone
There are some Veg delivery box schemes that deliver fresh produce to your door every week. Can be a bit expensive and the delivery times aren't always convenient for people but the produce is usually local.

Personally, I hope Ian and his ilk survive as they're important for a vibrant community. I never go to the Morrison's as I want my money to stay local. Also, the sheer amount of packaging that comes with supermarket veg is a disgusting waste of vital resources.

Most of the Morrisons veg comes from Holland, which is definitely not local.

PB
© Wirral-Wikiwirral