Forums
Posted By: nicky Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 4:41pm
Have just been told there are police doing spot checks by the Four Bridges in Birkenhead.
Just incase anybody was planning to go that way.
Posted By: mb2496 Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 4:45pm
Here's a strange concept... if you've not been drinking/taking drugs, and your car is legal and roadworthy, relax, drive your normal route and let the police do their job. I don't think tipping off people who aren't complying with the law is a responsible thing to do.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 5:00pm
Originally Posted by mb2496
Here's a strange concept... if you've not been drinking/taking drugs, and your car is legal and roadworthy, relax, drive your normal route and let the police do their job. I don't think tipping off people who aren't complying with the law is a responsible thing to do.

withthat
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 5:30pm

Ha, good luck taking that stance here. I got bitched out for saying exactly the same thing when people were reporting speed traps.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 5:38pm
I'd like to see a lot more speed traps. It would be great if all motorists drove considerably out of choice but they don't. So the next best option is that the Jeremy Clarkson Brigade get fined and points on their licence. It's only a tax on morons anyway.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 5:42pm

so because we have road legal cars and law abiding subjects then we have to put up with the inconvenience?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 5:44pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
I'd like to see a lot more speed traps. It would be great if all motorists drove considerably out of choice but they don't. So the next best option is that the Jeremy Clarkson Brigade get fined and points on their licence. It's only a tax on morons anyway.

I keep my speed to a minimum of 50mph, i think thats a reasonable speed, don`t need busybodies opting for more speed traps thanks, they would only get destryed anyway smirk
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 5:53pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I keep my speed to a minimum of 50mph, i think thats a reasonable speed, don`t need busybodies opting for more speed traps thanks, they would only get destryed anyway smirk

Well if you're doing 50mph in an 50mph zone that's fine if the conditions allow it. But if you're doing 50mph in a 30mph zone and you get caught, serves you right. Personally, anyone caught doing those kinds of speeds should have their cars crushed. Or sold and money reinvested into public services. Everyone's a winner: one less moron on the road. Moron has to walk thus getting more exercise. More money for schools, NHS, libraries, Police etc., less air and noise pollution. Happy days!!!
Posted By: FaCrE Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 6:00pm

Well if you're doing 50mph in an 50mph zone that's fine if the conditions allow it. But if you're doing 50mph in a 30mph zone and you get caught, serves you right. Personally, anyone caught doing those kinds of speeds should have their cars crushed. Or sold and money reinvested into public services. Everyone's a winner: one less moron on the road. Moron has to walk thus getting more exercise. More money for schools, NHS, libraries, Police etc., less air and noise pollution. Happy days!!!

But using that logic, then people who travel at ridiculously low speeds (eg 45-50 mph on a motorway)should also be classed as morons as they dont drive to the conditions, and therefore create a dangerous situation. Especially if they are being overtaken constantly by trucks. Recently on the M1 I noticed a selection of cars driving too slow, causing trucks to pull out and overtake, which then blocked the path of cars adhering to the speed limit and driving safely.

Its a 50/50 arguement, and one which will never be sorted out. The kettle calling the pot black springs to mind. Personally Id like to see people who drive too slowly creating unnecessary hazards, have their licences stripped and their vehicles crushed. Sounds silly, but thats the way I and many others feel concerning comments like yours thumbsup
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 6:04pm
I remember a bus driver on the Wirral getting done for obstruction as he was going "too slow". He tried to plea that he was constrained by the bus time table but they didn't let him off.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 6:09pm
Originally Posted by FaCrE

But using that logic, then people who travel at ridiculously low speeds (eg 45-50 mph on a motorway)should also be classed as morons as they dont drive to the conditions, and therefore create a dangerous situation. Especially if they are being overtaken constantly by trucks. Recently on the M1 I noticed a selection of cars driving too slow, causing trucks to pull out and overtake, which then blocked the path of cars adhering to the speed limit and driving safely.

Its a 50/50 arguement, and one which will never be sorted out. The kettle calling the pot black springs to mind. Personally Id like to see people who drive too slowly creating unnecessary hazards, have their licences stripped and their vehicles crushed. Sounds silly, but thats the way I and many others feel concerning comments like yours thumbsup

Did you read my comment? I didn't say I drive at very slow speeds. I usually drive dead on the speed limit. People driving very slowly can be annoying but they themselves don't actually cause the accidents. It's the petrolheads getting pissed off that cause the accidents. I'm not advocating it but if everyone drove slowly, there would be very few serious or fatal accidents. However, if everyone drives well over the speed limit then there will be far more serious and fatal incidents.
As it is, people driving at crazy speeds are the ones paying the fines. Which is as it should be. If you don't like paying the fines drive slower or don't drive. Your choice.
Posted By: nicky Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 6:13pm

I understand what you mean but personally i had to get to work and the last thing i wanted was to get stuck in traffic with everyone being pulled over or have to be stopped for a spot check and be late for work. Especially as it was almost 5pm when that bridge tends to be busy anyway. Im sure some people on here would agree with that and appreciate being told they were there.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 6:27pm
Most of these operations do not expect to catch a significant number of offenders, they are intended to be deterrents, the more publicity they get, the greater the deterrence.
Posted By: Wench Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 6:36pm
We went past it before. We weren't pulled but there was a silver estate that had been pulled and driver was taken away smile

With regards to getting stopped, personally I find it a small inconvenience if it nets one driver who's uninsured/over the limit/stoned etc. That's one less bellend on the road. If I was going to be late because I'd been pulled, I'd ask for proof I'd been pulled or ask my boss to ring the twaffic department to confirm I'd been pulled if he/she was that bothered.

It's coming up to "christmas drink after work" time so the more that get pulled and breathalised is a good thing IMO.

As for the "most of these operations do not expect to catch a significant number of offenders, they are intended to be deterrents" comment, cite your source unless it's merely opinion wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 6:40pm
I reckon the person in the silver estate was a drugs mule and he was high on his own supply smile
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 7:01pm
I was pulled this afternoon on the four bridges. I was asked if I had been drinking today (No - I hadn't) which made me think they are after the works christmas party brigade. Then to operate all my lights (fine) and tyre check (fine).

I was on my way in about 3 minutes.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 8:56pm
its keeping the roads safe from drink drivers and it may catch more tax & insurance dodgers
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 9:30pm
There are much more serious criminal problems happening on Wirral right now than someone with an out of date tax disc or a driver 1mg (a teaspoonful of beer) over the limit.
Posted By: Paul77 Re: Police at Four Bridges - 9th Dec 2011 11:43pm
Originally Posted by mark1970
There are much more serious criminal problems happening on Wirral right now than someone with an out of date tax disc or a driver 1mg (a teaspoonful of beer) over the limit.

Would you still say that if a driver killed a family member of yours and was found to be just over the limit?? Besides they are Traffic officers they deal with Traffic offences, pretty simple really.

IMO if you have no tax/insurance/mot are over the drink drive limit, or claiming bennifits/not declaring income tax etc (and these road side checks often check for all those things) they you deserve all you get!!

I drive a van and get targeted by these type of things all the time, ive been stopped once at the wallasey tunnel entrance and had to answer to the police, vosa (vehicle inspectorate) customs and excise and the Dss, it doesnt get much worse than that. As long as you have nothing to hide your fine.
Posted By: insanekitty Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 12:27am
I got stopped tonight!
Bloody traffic lights! I hate em.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 1:38am
Originally Posted by Paul77

Would you still say that if a driver killed a family member of yours and was found to be just over the limit?? Besides they are Traffic officers they deal with Traffic offences, pretty simple really.

IMO if you have no tax/insurance/mot are over the drink drive limit, or claiming bennifits/not declaring income tax etc (and these road side checks often check for all those things) they you deserve all you get!!

I drive a van and get targeted by these type of things all the time, ive been stopped once at the wallasey tunnel entrance and had to answer to the police, vosa (vehicle inspectorate) customs and excise and the Dss, it doesnt get much worse than that. As long as you have nothing to hide your fine.

What are you so bothered about then???

What does everyone else think of this comment?
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 8:32am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
[quote=mark1970]

What are you so bothered about then???

Guilty on all six charges whistle
Posted By: Silverback Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 9:35am

"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow."
Posted By: Paul77 Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 10:53am
[quote=_SteWhat are you so bothered about then???

[/quote]

What am i so bothered about?

Nothing other than that at the hands of a driver that was just over the limit (from the night before) two years ago i was passenger of a car that ploughed into another stationary car at 70mph and nearly killed on the m56 early one morning, ive spent two years off work with no pay (self employed), i broke my collar bone and spent three months in a sling unable to do pretty much anything, i still suffer with the shoudler now, i also suffer from crippling back pain every day, i have a fear of driving in the dark, i cant be passenger in a car as i dont trust any else but me driving, i also suffer from flashbacks of the accident and suffer nightmares about it too. So like i say if your over the limit or doing illegal things i say you deserve all you get.
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 6:09pm
[quote=_SteWhat are you so bothered about then???

What am i so bothered about?

Nothing other than that at the hands of a driver that was just over the limit (from the night before) two years ago i was passenger of a car that ploughed into another stationary car at 70mph and nearly killed on the m56 early one morning, ive spent two years off work with no pay (self employed), i broke my collar bone and spent three months in a sling unable to do pretty much anything, i still suffer with the shoudler now, i also suffer from crippling back pain every day, i have a fear of driving in the dark, i cant be passenger in a car as i dont trust any else but me driving, i also suffer from flashbacks of the accident and suffer nightmares about it too. So like i say if your over the limit or doing illegal things i say you deserve all you get. [/quote]

Although I do sympathise with your situation what would be your opinion if the driver was 1mg UNDER the limit? Would you of shrugged it off as just another accident? I'm massively against people who drive drunk but the problem is an arbitrary number on a breathalyser isn't a true measure of anyones fitness to drive. It's rather like our 70mph limit on the motorway, just a figure plucked out of the air by Barbara Castle back in 1967.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 8:01pm

when did they start looking to see if your claiming benefits?

you've got no tax no insurance your car failed it's MOT and your over the drink drive limit you can go on your way

WAIT A MIN is that a dole card in your pocket ok your going down son raftl raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 8:17pm
I think its to catch those in work vans, who are working on the side.
Posted By: Nomad Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 8:21pm
People complain that the police no longer appear to "police" the road but rather rely on speed cameras , licence plate detectors etc,

Now when they appear in public doing the job people say that they should be doing - people complain!

As already stated , if you have nothing to hide then why worry, if they delay you for work then you can always get proof,

For the ultimate hassle, try being stopped by the police late at night in a far east country with a unmarried and unrelated lady in your car.

Nomad
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 8:22pm
ok rude that makes sense smile it was just the way I read it, it was funny xx
Posted By: Oddone Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 9:21pm
I'm massively against people who drive drunk but the problem is an arbitrary number on a breathalyser isn't a true measure of anyones fitness to drive.

The exact offence is 'driving while over the prescribed limit'. How else are they to measure how much alcohol you have or have not in your system and weather its above or below the prescribed legal limit.

smile
Posted By: Paul77 Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 10:37pm
Originally Posted by The_Riddler

when did they start looking to see if your claiming benefits?

you've got no tax no insurance your car failed it's MOT and your over the drink drive limit you can go on your way

WAIT A MIN is that a dole card in your pocket ok your going down son raftl raftl

Customs and excise (who are also inland revenue) looking for people working and not declaring it and the dss for people claimig benifits and found to be working wink
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Police at Four Bridges - 10th Dec 2011 10:45pm
should be zero tollerance with drink driving,,, no alcohol at all while you are driving,,, if your gonna drink then get a taxi
© Wirral-Wikiwirral