Forums
Posted By: Moonstar HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 10:15am
There is a mine hunter, HMS Brocklesby, in the river off the lighthouse. Anyone know why it is there and what it is doing?
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 10:26am
From shipais.com (Brilliant site!!)
Name: Hms Brocklesby
MMSI: 232002833 [UK]
IMO: 4907139
Callsign: 0000
Speed/Dir: 3.8 kts / 132° SE
Dest: Maritime Security
ETA: Oct21 16:00
Type: Military Ops (35)
Details: Tug
Size: 52m x 11m x 2m
Tonnage: 384gt, 89dwt
Built: 1986
Received: 10:24:32 18 Nov 11 GMT
Posted By: bert1 Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 10:30am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
There is a mine hunter, HMS Brocklesby, in the river off the lighthouse. Anyone know why it is there and what it is doing?

Its doing a survey and mapping out the river bottom. Updating info, thats all.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 10:42am
I wonder, is this the same vessel that found the unexploded mine/bomb a couple of years ago in the river, whilst doing a "survey" ?? Maritime Security - Mmmmmm ??

Stand by for both road tunnels to be closed (again). The rail tunnel also. All ferries/shipping stopped. Runcorn Bridge closed for H&S reasons. Tsunami warnings for Isle of Syke. Employees of Neasden Tram Sheds told to stay away from windows etc .....

Yes Glocko, that's a great site AND absorber of time !!
Posted By: Moonstar Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 1:29pm
Now joined at the Pier Head by HMS Grimsby. The lastest HMS Grimsby is the second ship to bear the name. She is the eighth of the Sandown class of single role mine-hunters to be built.

Looks like drinks and lunch. Nice.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 2:42pm
On North West Tonight they said they were surveying the river bed.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 2:53pm
Missed that Gibbo. I wonder if the RN is planning to send a very large ship up the river.

Do we have a very large ship. cool
Posted By: davew3 Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 6:32pm
Watched them coming in on the Fort Perch Rock radar on Tuesday, as it was too misty to see more than a mile or so.
Posted By: jimbob Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 7:57pm
in the 50s the MERSEY DOCK AND HARBOUR BOARD use to do there own survey of the river chanel. The aim was to check on the revetments, which once the war was over where continued to be built and maintained
Posted By: Nomad Re: HMS Brocklesby - 18th Nov 2011 8:27pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Missed that Gibbo. I wonder if the RN is planning to send a very large ship up the river.

Do we have a very large ship. cool

We are lucky to have any ships the way its going

Nomad
Posted By: davew3 Re: HMS Brocklesby - 19th Nov 2011 1:25pm
They still do their own surveys and have been all this year, I've heard a good reason but it could just be a theatrical gesture. wink besides they told us on tv what they were up to.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: HMS Brocklesby - 19th Nov 2011 6:09pm
I believe they're dredging 52 feet of mud from the river bed to allow bigger merchant ships to berth outside of the dock system
Posted By: davew3 Re: HMS Brocklesby - 19th Nov 2011 6:25pm
They are, they have planning permission for the deep water berth in LPool docks, watched WD Mersey doing some work opposite the old tower grounds yesterday.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral