Forums
Posted By: Toffeenose Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 12:59pm
Went past Seacombe Ferry today , and the pub is gone , flattened , getting scooped up by a digger....nearly all my yesteryear pubs around Seacombe are gone now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 1:11pm
Anyone any idea when the previous Seacombe Ferry Hotel was demolished ? Had a few pints in there. I would guess it was blatted in the mid '70's sometime. The "new" one only seems to have been up 5 minutes !! I must be getting old !
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 1:24pm
My ex had a job many years ago in the bar at the old Seacombe Ferry; apparently the cellars used to flood at very high tides. That building had character, not like the new one which always looked rather shoddy in comparison- but I know it's memories that make a place special, as well as bricks and mortar.
Posted By: Boyzonegirl Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 1:28pm
Wow that was quick only went passed in Friday and it was still standin lol
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 1:31pm
That is fast, coz I only went past it the other day too...I'll be avin a look when I go home.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 4:48pm
Last time I walked past there (before most of the windows were trashed) I looked through the open window into the lounge & it seemed to be occupied by young mothers with babies in prams!
Posted By: dan0h Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 8:22pm
The Seacombe ferry? As in, next to the ferry terminal?! Demo crews don't mess around thats for sure...
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 8:30pm
i think it got closed down, there was a big fight there 50 plus all having a scrap
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:13pm
Originally Posted by dan0h
The Seacombe ferry? As in, next to the ferry terminal?! Demo crews don't mess around thats for sure...
Thats the one , or should i say , that use to be the one
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:23pm
Yer, gutted, from a History point of view.

I don't think it was a 'piss-up' type of Pub. Seemed dead, most of the time! The two for a fiver meals were the main haul. Was never a pub that i would 'go out' to. Too big, too empty, too boring.
Crying shame when you look at the original history of the place.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:35pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Yer, gutted, from a History point of view.

I don't think it was a 'piss-up' type of Pub. Seemed dead, most of the time! The two for a fiver meals were the main haul. Was never a pub that i would 'go out' to. Too big, too empty, too boring.
Crying shame when you look at the original history of the place.
it was quite a good " meeting place" pub ,plus, it was good for first dates as it was quite quiet
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:37pm
the trouble there over the years was crazy. and then the rock bar owners had problems with local people in the area then it got targeted by thugs.
total shame.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:44pm
Maybe the place should have been knocked down with the regulars still inside. Might have cleaned Seacombe up a bit.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:47pm
Gutted anyone got any pics? rude?
Posted By: ranger Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:52pm
Funny this,I remember working with an old plumber in the 70s and he told me one day he had been working on the seacombe ferry hotel many years earlier carrying out some pipework repairs in the roof space,On completion he rode home on his bike along seabank rd.While riding home two fire engines passed him travelling the other way,he found out later that night that he had accidentally set the roof on fire.Didnt tell me wether he got paid for the work tho.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 9:55pm
madness all the pubs are going was a cool pub too

missed a UE
Posted By: ponytail Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 10:09pm
Went by last night - shocked it was demolished so quickly. Only demolished though - lots of glass around, just a pile of rubble - easy place for kids to trespass. I'm waiting to hear about incidents and accidents as its not secure enough for the kids in the area. Wonder who has bought the ground?
Posted By: Wench Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 10:15pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk
the trouble there over the years was crazy. and then the rock bar owners had problems with local people in the area then it got targeted by thugs.
total shame.

I was in there one night after the Egg Run when some of the lovely local twunts threw a brick through one of the windows.

Originally Posted by Touchstone
Maybe the place should have been knocked down with the regulars still inside. Might have cleaned Seacombe up a bit.

I think it's some of those who didn't frequent the pub that should have been inside when it was razed to be honest, like the ones who made all the trouble outside.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 10:22pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
Gutted anyone got any pics? rude?
No, sorry- a Seacombe smack rat stole my Camera. wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 10:30pm
Originally Posted by Robbo_theMan
madness all the pubs are going was a cool pub too

missed a UE
Did reccee on a regular basis. If i knew it was going to be 'dozed, then,i, specifically would have been 'persuasiave" Gutted. frown
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 10:37pm
Off for a Mooch....
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 10:39pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Off for a Mooch....

yeah queen .
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 11:20pm
Couple of pics on facey. Security on site. Man and Dog. Tryed to talk to him but he was ignorant and got back into his 'hole'.
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 4th Aug 2011 11:55pm
council planning
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/Docs/DMZfiles/7235_1.pdf
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 12:26am
sorry couldnt edit above, just found this pic of the site.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeT Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 5:16am
withthat withthat withthat
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 7:36am
A lot of people, especially in summer, come off the ferry from Liverpool. What awaits them at Seacombe? A manky cafe, overpriced Spaceport, a scally heaven pub and the rather rundown Seacombe itself.
I'm not sure what could be done to improve the situation but I think someone is missing a trick. A nice pub, restaurant, ferry museum etc could make a lot of money if done right. Plus the Wirral Tramway being extended from Woodside to Seacombe and then on to New Brighton.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 7:59am
Plus the Wirral Tramway being extended from Woodside to Seacombe and then on to New Brighton.

I agree with that, but also used as a regular commuter route to Hamilton Sq station. I think Seacombe, Liscard, Wallasey area are the bigest most inhabited area without easy access to Merseyrail. Birkenhead has 5 (3 all within 5 mins walk of each other).
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 8:15am
Originally Posted by Headcoat
Plus the Wirral Tramway being extended from Woodside to Seacombe and then on to New Brighton.

I agree with that, but also used as a regular commuter route to Hamilton Sq station. I think Seacombe, Liscard, Wallasey area are the bigest most inhabited area without easy access to Merseyrail. Birkenhead has 5 (3 all within 5 mins walk of each other).

I think it's very possible to have a Woodside-Hamilton Square-Seacombe-New Brighton route. Maybe an additional route could go from Liscard down Liscard Road, Wheatland Lane and through the docks to Hamilton Square. Would be very expensive to do though and just imagine the roadworks.
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 10:28am
well i emailed the council last night reference freedom of information act and i asked.

Dear Wirral Council

Can you tell me please what the reason was for demolishing the Seacombe Ferry Hotel.

I notice on your planning page it was asked for permission in July and then by the start of August it has been approved and knocked down so quickly and nothing else is normally done that quick.

Also what was the reason for not notifying neighbours in the area know what was going to take place right by there homes.

:::

Good Morning,

Thank you for your request for information which is shown below.
Planning Permission is not needed for demolition; all the Council can control is the method of demolition. The Council cannot actually object to the demolition itself. If the Council felt strongly that a building was worthy of retention then we have to seek the removal of permitted development rights, which allows owners to demolish properties without the need for formal consent, but this can be a long and drawn out procedure. An Owner of a building may chose to demolish it and as stated earlier, all the Council can control is the method used for demolition.

The reason why no neighbours were notified is because the submission to the Council was not a Planning Application, but a Prior Notification of the owner's intent to demolish the building, which is he is required to do under current Planning Regulations. So to summarise, it was not an application seeking the Council's permission or consent, as this is already deemed to be given under Part 31 of Schedule 2 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995. This Order then gives the Council 28 days to assess the methods of demolition to be used and whether or not we considered Permitted Development rights should be removed.

I trust you find the information useful.

Kind Regards
Jane Corrin
Information Manager
Wirral Council
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 10:40am
Surprised the building wasn't burnt down first. Its usually the "Wallasey" way...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 10:41am
...and a little off topic I know...The Nags Head, Rake Lane is closed down.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 11:32am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

Not much of a shock. It always looked pretty dead every time I walked passed. Stanley's nearby always seems busy though. Shame that so many pubs in Wallasey are closing.
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 11:38am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

Not much of a shock. It always looked pretty dead every time I walked passed. Stanley's nearby always seems busy though. Shame that so many pubs in Wallasey are closing.

Yeh i did wonder about there, i drove past the other day and i thought it was odd it was closed. it's a shame actually because I actually quite liked it in there frown
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 5th Aug 2011 11:58am
Originally Posted by Headcoat

I think it's very possible to have a Woodside-Hamilton Square-Seacombe-New Brighton route. Maybe an additional route could go from Liscard down Liscard Road, Wheatland Lane and through the docks to Hamilton Square. Would be very expensive to do though and just imagine the roadworks.

Sorry this is going off topic, I agree it would be expensive and roadworks would be a chaos, but have you been to Oldham recently they are extending the metro link all over the place there. They managed to build the Conway Park station, which in my opinion was not need at all. Maybe when/if they do the development in the docs they will put a station there, one can only hope!
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 15th Aug 2011 1:17pm
google google

Attached picture 281462_2387416524139_1212572766_3060405_599368_n.jpg
Attached picture 228982_2387445564865_1212572766_3060433_1084190_n.jpg
Posted By: gemgem87 Re: Seacombe Ferry pub - 15th Aug 2011 1:25pm
Good pic, nice to see what it looked like in it's original form
© Wirral-Wikiwirral