Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 24th Jul 2011 10:45pm
Just wondering if anyone knows whats going on with the road works on the Moreton Spur. For a few weeks now the 2 lanes on the off slip for Upton from J1 on the M53 has been coned off, and down to one lane.

Ive not yet seen any signs of work, nor is there an indication of what they are doing, why, and when it will be finished... think

Any info?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 24th Jul 2011 11:04pm
I think they are goin for the world record of longest dragged out job evarrrr!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 24th Jul 2011 11:08pm
Not talking about J1, y'understand?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 24th Jul 2011 11:34pm
Thought id throw that one in on the sly! but I do know where you mean.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 3:21am
if you take notice of the signs, the lanes are coned off because the road surface is dangerous. Probably lose tarmac or something, had a couple of smashed windscreens and decided its safer to close the lanes until they get resurfaced. As it probably wasnt planned, they can't just resurface a road the next day lol.

Methinks they should have put a 40 limit in place between the cones though, and the gap between them is too small, should have eaten into the closes lanes tbh for safety, a small mistake and your going to be hitting a wall of cones.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 5:29am
Huge PITA!!

If you get stuck behind Miss Daisy out of the tunnel then you're taking 30 mins longer to get home!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 8:38am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
if you take notice of the signs, the lanes are coned off because the road surface is dangerous.

Never noticed those Matt - will have a close looky next time I go through there. TBH I thought there was noting wrong with the surface over there (we are talking J2 here - I know how bad the road fell apart at J1).
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 8:42am
And just to make sure we are all on about the same place - Ive marked it in red smile

Attached picture m53.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 8:49am
Yer, J2 mate (only moreton spur I know haha). Either its a bad road surface, or a copper had a bump along there, and rather than take the rap for bad driving, they blamed it on the road surface lol.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 12:42pm
just come down there,coming from Liverpool new signs diverting anything over 7.5 tonnes on to the next junction. Probably about to collapse like the Bidston one !
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 2:50pm
Blimey that confused me, you've posted it upside down wink
raftl
Posted By: Snickas Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 25th Jul 2011 4:31pm
and 2 years they've spent so far fixing the Bidston Bypass [Linked Image]

such a delightful sight to walk out to everytime we go in the garden [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mally Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 26th Jul 2011 9:56pm
New weight limit imposed after safety concerns at M53 Moreton Spur

There you go.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 26th Jul 2011 10:12pm
happy
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 26th Jul 2011 10:40pm
Ooer... that's on my regular drive home. Was wondering what all the cones were about.
Posted By: phk68bay Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 27th Jul 2011 12:32am
they are resurfucing, you can see it all dug up when you drive past on the other side. They do work cos i live close by and the vans are there all thru the night bleeping and banging we can see and hear it from out bedroom!!!!! It would have been cheeper and better to just knock the bridge down and make it a flat road to J1 so both tunnel and road traffic have to go to B&Q roundabout to join motorway. An as for J2 i thought the same thing looks like they have closed one lane because it is not strong enough anymore to carry the weight.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 27th Jul 2011 5:18am

It's going to be a long wait; from the Highways Agency website:

At the junction of the M53 J2 and the A551 , minor delays are possible due to roadworks closing one lane. Expect disruption until 5:00 am on 31 October 2012.

Posted By: TheDr Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 27th Jul 2011 6:17am
At the junction of the M53 J2 and the A551 , minor delays are possible due to roadworks closing one lane. Expect disruption until 5:00 am on 31 October 2012.

That's a bit specific for something over a year away.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 27th Jul 2011 6:53am
Probably got an 8 week ETA but they know what the cowboys are like that work on our roads, so decided to give the public an actualy likely timeframe.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 27th Jul 2011 7:42am
We keep moving "The Traveler's" on, so there goes the Tarmac crew!
Posted By: TheDr Re: Moreton Spur Roadworks? - 27th Jul 2011 7:53am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Probably got an 8 week ETA but they know what the cowboys are like that work on our roads, so decided to give the public an actualy likely timeframe.

Sounds about right smile

8 weeks, estimated time to do the job
14 weeks, actual time to finish it
14 weeks and 1 day, realisation that it's still not right
1yr 14weeks and 1 day, time taken to knock it down and start all over again with something that works

5am Oct 31st 2012 - Open on schedule laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral