Forums
Posted By: consho warning ..check your bill at sainsburys in upton - 12th Jul 2011 3:38pm
a quick warning about prices at sainsburys in upton..today for the third time in recent months I fell foul of what is either complete incompetance on the part of the store staff or a deliberate policy of misleading customers about pricing

they had small oranges priced at £2 a pack, with a buy one get one free offer attached. when I got to the till I was charged for each pack, total charge £4.

I went back and demanded to speak to the manager who quite frankly did not have a clue when I asked her to make sure there and then that the till computers would be altered to accomodate the free offer. she said she would look into it and gave me £4 back

how many people I wonder have paid twice for goods which are clearly labelled buy one get one free

it is happening far too often at supermarkets all over the country, so is it a new type or scam, or are store managers totally incompetent
Well done consho ....this is what forums are for.... good one for standing your ground!!!
This is better than what song are you listening to?
Over the past two years I have made a point of checking my bill whenever shopping at supermarkets on the Wirral.
It averages out at 2 errors in pricing per 3 bills. Funnily enough 85% of the errors tend to be in favour of the supermarket.

Check your bills every time (i do it in front of the customer service desk) and make sure you get your money back if there is any mistake.
i now always check offers on my bills after being caught out a few times in sainsburys in upton. co op as bad checked bill when got home to sort out my shopping from mums 1 skinny leek cost me £2.95 went back real price 45p .
If you shop in asda and they make a mistake on your bill you are entitled to a £2.00 voucher as well as any other money owed to you but you have to ask to get it smile
I've had 2 errors in Morrison's in the past few days.
This happens SO many times it really isn't acceptable.
why not name and shame local ones here..just be careful though, you must have proof of what you are saying before you make any such accusations
the same happened to me in tesco local i was charged 4.00 for two bags of apples that were two for three pounds,i complained online and got a £5 pound voucher,i always check my receipt as mistakes add up .
This used to happen to me alot in the old somerfield in new brighton, so much so I've stopped going in there, even though it's changed hands to co-op. Also, the buy one get one free offers aren't so great when your already being charged nearly double the price of some other stores. I always check the receipt now before I leave any store.
don't know who you spoke to, the manager there is male!!
the manager today was a female and although I have it because I am complaining to head office in Holborn, London EC1N 2HT, I do not have to tell you her name..if you are trying to undermine the topic please say so, dont pass snide remarks
Hold your horses dude!! I didn't ask for anyone's name, all I said was that the manager there is male, fact. I know this coz I work in that store. I also know that offers and price changes are put into the system by humans and sometimes human error comes into it, it's nothing malicious to have off the customer coz most of the people that work in supermarkets think little of the company they work for and would rather give a good deal to the customer rather than the company, coz it's nothing to them! That's why you get a receipt so you can check things! In the couple of weeks that I have been on maternity leave they have had a few staff changes so maybe they got a new department manager in who is female, but the store manager is male. You got your oranges for free anyway so forget it smile
The duty manager changes and could be female.You rarely see the store manager,he's like the Wizard of Oz!
I was always unfortunate enough to see him smile
OK, well forgetting who saw who and what sex they were, this is something that really gets me angry. With all of the cuts and lowering of wages and at the moment, unemployment for so many on here.......lets try and do something about this.

Most of us have got cameras on their phones, or just small digital cameras they can keep in their bag when shopping.

If this happens to you, post a pic of the receipt, making sure you show the parts that show the price, and the total area as this is where offers normally show up. Then get a snap-shot of the offer in situ and lets go to the papers.

It was very obvious that jenshco worked at the store by the tone of the post, it is even more obvious from the last post from this person that people like her or him accept the way thing are done there as long as you "got your oranges for free"..what sort of an attitude is that..we are talking here about a massive commercial chain giving a public service which is amassing millions of pounds in profits every year..human frailties should not be given as an excuse....is a simple solution as defined by jenshco just "check your bill"..what about the hundreds of elderly people who patronise that particular store ..with great respect to them, are they able to understand sometimes the discounts which are supposed to be on offer..do they have the ability to understand what the asterix alongside their item means in terms of an offer..it is alright for people like me to make a fuss about the fact that I have been overcharged, remember this is the third time in recent weeks it has happened at this store, on the other two occasions my wife who was with me did not want me to embarrass her by complaining..how many other people, particularly the elderly, feel the same way and don't complain...it is happening far too often to be excused as human frailty..let us kick ass and get something done about it through this forum..oh and by the way sainsbury employee..try the surname beginning with a p and ending with a y for the managers name and my forum name is consho,not dude
I agree, now lets do something about this.
got indian meal for two £5.00 sainsburys upton silly me checked bill when i got home never got £5 offer paid full price
is this another example of human frailty on behalf of the staff at sainsburys?..I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!

why not write and complain to head office..the addreess is in an earlier post of mine..I will print my letter of complaint on this forum later
I still think it's going to take more than this. Proof is needed and between us all we should be able to do something about this. It has NOTHING to do with the staff, it's just error but one that needs to be highlighted and pointed out to the companies.
I don't think there's anything sinister going on here, just human error. Customer services at my local Morrison's told me that what sometimes happens is that an offer ends, so the tills are re-programmed but the shelf edge offer isn't removed. Of course, it shouldn't happen, but we all make mistakes. If I know I've bought something on offer, I always check my bill very carefully. I only use Morrison's & Tesco & I know Tesco refund you double for any error.
chriskay..I love your belief in the honesty of supermarket giants...the giants who have forced on to the dole thousands of small shopkeepers all over the country..smell the grass..they are cut throat, not cut price..it is happening all over the country and it appears to me to be too much of a coincidence in the small space of time this item has been posted on this forum that so many people have had a similar experience to me...all supermarkets have what I will loosely call "shelf checkers" so the argument that an offer might have ended but the "buy one get one free" label remains on display does not hold water..as for Tescos, they are probably worse than the rest with their three tier shelves showing massive signs offering amazing offers here,buy two get one free,or "everything here £2" only for the customer to find the shelves stacked with a different product to that which is supposed to be on offer..I understand the double your money back at customer service does not exist any more
Remember when hand calculators first came out - I think there was an advert which showed folks doing their shopping and adding the price as each item was put in trolley or basket so when you reached the till you knew how much your bill would come to.
Regardless of whether you got the items for free at the end or not you should still take the matter further. I know that when the store realise error (and they do) they just keep the money.
To the person identifying himself as a member of staff, I would be very careful what you say, dont forget the internet is not anonymous and the last thing you want is to be quoted somewhere as a member of staff said.
guess what marks and spencer done it to me twice in the last two weeks cubed beef two for £6 got home £3.99 each .went in this week reduced to clear chocolate pots half price silly me never checked bill paid full price going back fri .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral