Forums
Posted By: geofflit SMOKE ALARMS - 10th Mar 2011 3:26pm
get smoke alarms supplied and fitted for free.
Ring Fire Service Direct on 0800 731 5958 to arrange for Fire Service to come and fit for free.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 10th Mar 2011 8:46pm
I bet you wont come and replace my 20 year old mains powered ones though.
Posted By: geofflit Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 3:33pm
if they are not working you will get new battery powered alarms.If they are working happy days
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 8:38pm
Im not sure if mine work or not. I let off my smoke machine in the house recently (like you do) and they never went off. I will have to blast it right at them properly to test them.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 8:40pm
Have they not got a test button????
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 8:52pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Have they not got a test button????
Yes and it confirms that the beeper still works
Posted By: johncon Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 8:54pm
the fire service came and fitted new smoke alarms for my mum in west kirby abput 2 years ago a few weeks ago the alarm started beeping to warn of low battery i phoned west kirby fire station to ask what batteries i shoud get and within ten minuits of my call they had been and fitted new ones well done you ! thumbsup
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 8:55pm
Ah!
(sorry, stupid question of the evening)
Are you saying that just because the bleeper works it's not wise to assume that the sensor works?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 10:32pm
I don't know for sure but normally a feint wisp of smoke sets them off. My ones beep when you push the test button but don't go off when you open the door to a smoke engulfed room right next to them. I also doubt the 20 year old ni cad back up batteries are any use any more either.
Posted By: starakita Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 10:32pm
my 12 year old was drying his bike with my hairdryer last weekend & he set the smoke alarm off even though he didnt create any smoke.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 10:46pm
I've got mains powered smoke alarms when the tumble dryer gets to hot they go off frightens the life out of the cats when they do
Posted By: kermit Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 11th Mar 2011 11:00pm
Originally Posted by johncon
the fire service came and fitted new smoke alarms for my mum in west kirby abput 2 years ago a few weeks ago the alarm started beeping to warn of low battery i phoned west kirby fire station to ask what batteries i shoud get and within ten minuits of my call they had been and fitted new ones well done you ! thumbsup

Thats what you call a good service.
Posted By: johncon Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 8:28am
I always know when my tea is ready when ours goes of tease
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 9:27am
I always know when my tea is ready when ours goes of tease
raftl
Posted By: Blondie Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 11:38am
I had them fitted 2 weeks ago, they are guaranteed for 10 years apparantly. An actual fire engine came to the house, wasn't expecting that!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 11:43am

Not so sure that sending a fire engine to replace a quids worth of battery is economic or sensible use of public funding though.......
Why can't people accept responsibility for their own well being? Just a thought.
Posted By: johncon Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 11:53am
My mum is 87 and living on her own we get there whenever we can but do you expect her to climb a ladder to change a battery ???????????
as I said the batteries were not just standard run of the mill so i phoned to ask where i could get them and they sent a van round I didn,t ask them to
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 11:57am
Of course not John, bet your mam would love to be able toclimb a ladder, I'm not even too chuffed going up them myself.
Just a general comment on looking thru the posts, I never get on to an individual (no doubt next time I do then someone will climb all over me).
Posted By: johncon Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 12:03pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Of course not John, bet your mam would love to be able toclimb a ladder, I'm not even too chuffed going up them myself.
Just a general comment on looking thru the posts, I never get on to an individual (no doubt next time I do then someone will climb all over me).

no problem but she would love to be able to climb a ladder thumbsup
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 12:08pm
Not so sure that sending a fire engine to replace a quids worth of battery is economic or sensible use of public funding though.......
Why can't people accept responsibility for their own well being? Just a thought.

I would imagine they use it as a kind of PR exercise to raise their profile and make the point that prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 12:42pm

I think that it may be a nice gesture by them but I agree,what an incredible waste of money.
They threaten us with fines at the hospital if they get called out to a false alarm if we make a cock up working on the fire alarm system. I can't remember the figure it was claimed to have cost but it was in the hundreds to cover the cost of the call out.
Posted By: bert1 Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 12:48pm
I asked this question years ago when i got my smoke alarm fitted, Why the fire engine and full crew?
Simple answer was, If they get a shout, they are all together with all the equipment, and off they go.
Posted By: peodude Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 3:56pm

The fire service would FAR rather go there in the fire engine to go and fit/fix smoke alarms, then go their in the fire engine to rescue people stuck inside a burning building.

And bert makes a good point, if they get an important shout, then they're ready to go, don't have to go back to the station to pick up the engine and the rest of the crew.

I imagine the fire brigade don't have a whole lot to do when not on a shout, apart from sorting the equipment and possibly dealing with paperwork. Best get them out and about helping the community.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 4:36pm
They could always just have a bloke that goes round in a van with a little step ladder fitting the alarms.
Posted By: johncon Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 12th Mar 2011 5:08pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
They could always just have a bloke that goes round in a van with a little step ladder fitting the alarms.

thats what they did for my mum just turned up in a van
smile
Posted By: kermit Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 13th Mar 2011 11:01pm
I suppose it depends on the area and the referral they get through at the time if the man in his little van is avaliabe, and if the person is elderly/disabled and are nt able to do it themselves.
Posted By: AR_One Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 13th Mar 2011 11:30pm
"I imagine the fire brigade don't have a whole lot to do when not on a shout, apart from sorting the equipment and possibly dealing with paperwork. Best get them out and about helping the community."

Sort of right, the fire fighters have to be available and near their appliances all the time but if we get half of the crews out doing smoke alarms it's like getting the resource for free. It also gets people to meet real fire-fighters which helps with the fire safety message smile
Posted By: kermit Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 13th Mar 2011 11:38pm
it does and them giving talks around schools, I am sure when they are not doing paperwork and servicing their equipment they are doing drills and work - outs or excercising
flex
Posted By: MattLFC Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 16th Mar 2011 9:58am
I agree with the scheme, but I don't particuarly think sending fire engines around to fit fire alarms is the most efficient way to be doing things, not when the public are being taxed more and the fire service, as with all other public services are facing cuts. How many MPG are modern-day fire engines getting, carrying tonnes of water and 6 - 8 firefighters, with a huge engine, maybe 5 - 10?

Seems a bit of a rediculous waste of money when a guy could drive round in a 70mpg Vauxhall Combo and do the same thing.

You watch, next year they will all be out on strike protesting against cutbacks in funding and pay-freezes etc...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: SMOKE ALARMS - 16th Mar 2011 10:05am
blah blah blah
© Wirral-Wikiwirral