Forums
Posted By: Handbag Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 11:08am
Hi All

Does anyone know of anywhere 'trustworthy' that I would be able to buy a small used car... I'm really worried about where to go to get one as I have heard so many scare stores about people being ripped off. I'm hoping to pass my test next month and I haven't a clue here to start.

I'd also like to know where there are 'trustworthy' garages/mechanics in the Wallasey area too.

I'm not saying mechanics and car dealers are all unscrupulous, but as a new driver and a female to boot I wouldnt know where to start!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 11:17am
Pm me, you need any work or Mot, we are in your area smile

If I were you I'd buy a car privately from an old person. smile
Posted By: Handbag Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 11:23am
Thankyou Ste!

Now to find an old person.... LOL
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 12:34pm
Don't think I'd buy off an old person. Why do most of they need to red line it when starting up?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 2:00pm
Lol, most old peeps have full service history by main dealers & look after their cars with no expense spared smile
Posted By: reddragon Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 2:22pm
most old peeps have full service History raftl sorry Ste cudn't resist it
Posted By: reddragon Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 2:26pm
good luck on your forthcoming test Handbag and if and when you pass please don't advertise the fact you have just passed your test by displaying green P plates on your vehicle unless this is now law I dunno but if you advertise other drivers will i have found cut you up and slow you down and stop just to scare you.
Posted By: Handbag Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 3:47pm
Thanks Reddragon smile
No definately no Green L's for me!
I have been cut up enough times by numpties while driving a clearly marked driving school car without asking for more!
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 3:49pm
If you are that unsure I would recommend taking someone with you who knows a bit, It is worth paying someone a little to save a massive expense a month or two down the line.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 5:06pm
Originally Posted by reddragon
most old peeps have full service History raftl sorry Ste cudn't resist it

raftl I was in work at the time rushing lol.

Handbag, also it's advisable to get a check on the vehicle to see if it's been damaged or is still on finance.

Good luck on your test wink
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 5th Feb 2011 8:19pm
As a woman who has bought several used cars, my advice would be to ask for as much warranty as you can. Even if you're only paying a few hundred quid they should give you one month at least. If there's anything wrong at the time you're buying it will be revealed during that time.
If you're paying a bit more it may be worth getting the AA to do a check.
Posted By: Michelle_Louise Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 6th Feb 2011 10:27am
Hello Handbag

I've just noticed your post and wondered what type of car you are looking for?

Im selling my car and will be advertising it this week, I was going to post it on here today actually. Its a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec 03, Silver. Its a great little car, im reluctant to sell it really but we really only need one car now.

If you are interested let me know and I can send you some more details.

Michelle
Posted By: Handbag Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 7th Feb 2011 8:38pm
I am looking for a small car...

I dont have a lot of money mind, so I need cheap little car... micra, old style fiesta or something. Something small thats not going to get me hung when I apply for insurance as a first time driver... although I'm technically over the insurance hill tease

Needs to be reliable too.

I know I need a miracle or a lottery win LOL
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 7th Feb 2011 9:03pm
might have a 97 corsa 1.2 in soon would come with mot/tax fully serviced for about £450, i run a garage so would be safe/ checked before sold wink
Posted By: Handbag Re: Used car buying advice needed. - 8th Feb 2011 12:28am
I take my test on 23rd march so will be sometime after that...
if you pm me the details when it goes up for sale wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral