Forums
Posted By: tedmus Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 11:23am
Hi

Living in Wallasey Village, only been in the area for about 18 months so don't know the area that well and may need to move my 12 year old daughter up here soon (lives with mum in Warrington atm), anybody recommend any of the local secondary schools, would need to be not too far to travel by bus really?

Thanks in advance smile
Posted By: sparky Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 12:10pm
My daughter goes to The Oldershaw School, she is currently in year 8 and really loves it. It is right next to Asda on Seaview Road. The website is www.oldershaw.wirral.sch.uk
Posted By: kermit Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 12:12pm
My daughter is in Oldershaw and i ve not had any problems with the school, it did have a bit of a bad reputation a while back ,i do find a lot of the teachers really nice also.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 12:20pm
Cheers both.

Within walking distance as well smile
Posted By: detsi Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 1:27pm
Originally Posted by tedmus
Hi

Living in Wallasey Village, only been in the area for about 18 months so don't know the area that well and may need to move my 12 year old daughter up here soon (lives with mum in Warrington atm), anybody recommend any of the local secondary schools, would need to be not too far to travel by bus really?

Thanks in advance smile

Wallasey Village is a hotbed for secondary schools for girls. On your doorstep is Wetherhead and St Mary's (you do not need to be RC to attend) and Wallasey School and Oldershaw are all only a short distance away. I understand that each of these have their own specialities so it's horses for courses and you takes your choice. Good luck.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 2:08pm
If you want your child to have a good attitude, un interrupted education and be free of drug and alcohol abuse I'd go private.
None of the local schools are any good, only one I haven't heard anything bad about is St marys in Wallasey village.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 2:27pm
I went to Birkenhead School (Private, one of the best in the UK), and then in my later years to Wallasey School... overall neither we're bad.

In fact Wallasey School was far more down to earth and in touch with the real world due to the normal (I guess you could say common) folk attending from Moreton, Leasowe, Wallasey Village and the surrounding area's. Most of the pupils in Birkenhead School came from extremely privaledged backgrounds, many had millionaire parents and a lot of local footballers send their children to the school.

Of course Birkenhead School was for more intensive teachning wise (when I moved to Wallasey School, I was approx 2 years ahead of the year I was going into, such is the acceleration of Birkenhead School) and it was far more results driven (the pupils were attaining 100% A-C grades in GCSE's and in the region of 80% A - B grades in A-Levels).

Where was I happier? Wallasey School, by far. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time at Birkenhead School, but it was a very pressurised and competitive enviroment and the discipline was sometimes too strict. They were also very inexperienced in dealing with situations out of the norm... they basically like the child to be regimented and never to step out of line, express themselves, or to explore better ways of doing things. I was of course a pupil in the days when it was boys-only, and now they accept both boys and girls, so it may well have changed (adapted, modernised in some area's) somewhat in it's teaching style?

So I would not for one moment say private is the only way to go for a decent education - it should always be an option to consider, but only if you have the money to burn do I think it is worth it for the average child. Im not sure what the GCSE and A-Level grades of Wallasey School are at the moment, but when I was there, it's "reputation" was very much overdone and it was all just hype, of course you had the odd tear away and bad apple as you do in every state school (in fact they even turned up in Birkenhead School), but the majority of the kids were decent, had some sort of vision for their life, got along with each other just find, and generally got their head down and did their work. I have tonnes of friends from Wallasey School, and off my head I can't actually think of one who is not in employment and/or studying in, or been to University. They may not have gone to Oxbridge like half of the Birkenhead School lot do, but does it really matter lol?!

Oh yeah, you also have to pass a set of exam's (not the 11 plus or whatever it is/was, a LOT harder and more in-depth) to be accepted into Birkenhead Senior School, as with almost all private schools, unless you are admitted from the Prep, so it does also depend on your child's ability if private education is a route you wish to explore.

smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 2:40pm
I'd read the Ofsted reports online.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 2:42pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
I'd read the Ofsted reports online.
Will be doing that smile
Posted By: starakita Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 2:52pm
the best way is to go and look round the schools and see what they have to offer.Ive had 3 go through Plessington &2 are there now with 1 to go.The school has changed so much since my first one went but one of the things I like about it is the atmosphere, its a welcoming place & thats one of the reasons I chose it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 3:51pm
Good report Matt, an inside view on the matter at hand smile
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Decent secondary schools in Wallasey area - 20th Oct 2010 4:35pm
my daughter is in wallasey school and suffers a lot of playground bullying, the school say they have a low tolerance to this but im yet to see it tbh, beyond that though her results and reports are superb
© Wirral-Wikiwirral