Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot Removals and Storage - 19th Feb 2010 1:06pm
Here is the problem. I am trying to sell my house and move back to Birkenhead, honest. Because of the state of the market I am willing to pare the price to facilitate a quick move. To do this I need to know what my outgoings are going to be so that I can have an idea of what offer I can accept which will enable me to get a decent place over there. I can't get a quote from Removals/Storage peopl without getting exact dates etc. I have what I reckon will be about 20 cu/mtrs of stuff, it will be travelling about 160 miles give or take and it will be in storage for an indefinite time but hopefully not too long. Anybody out there done a similar thing and willing to let me know what it cost? I only need an estimate so that I can do my sums. Cost per cube for a move and storage per month would help. Cheers in advance.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 1:17am
http://www.bigyellow.co.uk/storesearch/searchresults#results
Posted By: printhere Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 1:39am
http://www.safedepot.co.uk/
http://www.smart-storage.co.uk/
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 11:18am
Thanks fellahs, not quite what I was after, already done the online bit but they want all kinds of details just to give me an estimate. I'm just after a guesstimate to do my sums and don't want to commit or be pestered by firms, if you know what I mean.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 11:47am
see if you can find how the tarriff is worked out and you can do your own math. Good morning!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 11:53am
Morning para, somehow no one will just give me a cost per cubic metre for removals and storage even though that is how they work it out. I have the measurements but they are all angling for business and want all the ins and outs, understandable. Nobody puts their price per cube up, one lot even work in sq ft, which tells me nothing. I'll keep at it until a find a solution or just allow myself a preposterous allowance and end up quids in. Fat chance.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 12:09pm
I hope you are not returning to your roots a poor man (no beer tokens)What about an indipendant van and driver man. Set price beforehand it would be a good pay day all round.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 12:12pm
Even that's a possibility but that's why I need a rough costing, to work out my options. I'll get there, I usually do. I know a couple of blokes who are handy and willing.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 12:22pm
I hope there all at your end.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 12:24pm
Don't worry you're safe.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Removals and Storage - 20th Feb 2010 4:19pm
Bandy, in my experience it's a bit like trying to work out how long the string is.
When I moved up from down south I was warned to expect to pay maybe £3k or £4k - no way I could afford that.
I did find a man with a van who did a fantastic job - they emptied the contents of my flat on the 4th floor down to the van - no lift, in less than an hour. The turned up at the new house up here the next day as arranged and off loaded in less than half an hour all for £600 total. I would have cost me nearly that to hire a van and do it myself.
Yes white van men do have rotten reputations but they're not all bad.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Removals and Storage - 21st Feb 2010 2:39am
Id just hire a van or two and team of family members/friends (preferably from this end). This is what we did when my mother moved back from Weston Super Mare - we did it in a single trip with a very large Mercedes van, me, my uncle, my cousin and Scott of these boards.

Much easier than you would imagine and much much cheaper than any man with a van or removals company.

smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 21st Feb 2010 8:39am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Id just hire a van or two and team of family members/friends (preferably from this end). This is what we did when my mother moved back from Weston Super Mare - we did it in a single trip with a very large Mercedes van, me, my uncle, my cousin and Scott of these boards.

Much easier than you would imagine and much much cheaper than any man with a van or removals company.

smile

Cheers Matt and Softy, looking at that side of it too. Thing is, we're all getting a bit long in the tooth for humpin' 'n dumpin' now but it all depends on what I get for the house. It might be worth a ricked back if I need the dosh.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Removals and Storage - 21st Feb 2010 8:44am
You could be opening a big can of worms here Matt "Morning all"
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 21st Feb 2010 8:52am
Originally Posted by paranoidballoon
You could be opening a big can of worms here Matt "Morning all"

Don't panic!
Posted By: hoseman Re: Removals and Storage - 21st Feb 2010 3:57pm
Give Robbo the Man a shout, he works at Birkenhead Van Hire.
Could get good rates for a weekend and know some willing local hands to help!!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 22nd Feb 2010 12:17pm
Thanks for that hoseman, will keep that in mind. Got to sell the bloody thing yet, that's the main prob. Should be ok once the wx improves and the snow goes away I don't fancy viewing places myself yet.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Removals and Storage - 22nd Feb 2010 12:40pm
Find a big local field and burn all your belongings. Hey presto, all sorted. As long as you return to Jerkinbed with the shirt on ya back then you can't go far wrong me ol mucker. The money you save from hauling them could then buy you new furniture... thumbsup

Can't go wrong if you listen to me!

And good afternoon every peeps.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 22nd Feb 2010 12:53pm
Now there's an idea Paul, I'll run it past my missus. New stuff would probably fit the new place better as well.
Posted By: Garygadge Re: Removals and Storage - 22nd Feb 2010 1:47pm
Have you tried Arrowe Removals? 0151-677-5517
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 22nd Feb 2010 2:11pm
Not yet, if I was one I intend to get 3 or 4 quotes and then sort it from there. A bit like putting the cart before the horse at the moment but I have to start somewhere and work out my costings so I don't end up with a nasty surprise. All hints will be pored over to arrive at a solution eventually. Cheers.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Removals and Storage - 22nd Feb 2010 4:36pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
A bit like putting the cart before the horse

Steptoe & Son went out of business years ago Bandy. yes And they were rag and bone men, so no use to you at all.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Removals and Storage - 22nd Feb 2010 11:58pm
We were charged £35 today to pick up 'large stuff' from my gaffe, onto the lads for bits n pieces-up the road. Then next postcode -we ch44, me lads new ad-ch45- to drop the lot off. An hours work-nice fella tho-wud 'use' him again. Had a van wiv a lift + a trolley for the f.freezer!! smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Removals and Storage - 23rd Feb 2010 12:06am
It was a desperado thing (b.v.h+ robbo never entered me head) doh! But he was here within 20 mins+ other vans+ mans quoted £80!!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Removals and Storage - 23rd Feb 2010 11:22am
me and the missus are in dispute even as we speak, discussing whether to ditch or move and store. She's quite attached to some of the stuff, and me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral