Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Income support + voluntary work - 14th Jan 2010 8:30pm
My mate volunteers at 3 agencies and has had her ì.s stopped til she prooves she dont get paid.
She also gets carers allowance + dla for her son who has c.f
Is she likely to be in trouble or lose benefit? I estimate she vols 10 hours, at most a week.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Income support + voluntary work - 14th Jan 2010 10:04pm
The whole system is geared up to make sure any one recieving any sort of benifit stays at home and is totaly dependant on the state, that way you even stop thinking for yourself never mind doing anything. Roll on the election
Posted By: Tilly Re: Income support + voluntary work - 14th Jan 2010 10:44pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
My mate volunteers at 3 agencies and has had her ì.s stopped til she prooves she dont get paid.
Is she likely to be in trouble or lose benefit? I estimate she vols 10 hours, at most a week.

she wont get into trouble at all not for voluntary work, her money should never have been stopped either no they should try and prove she does get paid Before they stop her benefits, something not right there
Posted By: bert1 Re: Income support + voluntary work - 14th Jan 2010 10:51pm
Its always been the way as far back as i can remember, if your going to do any work ,paid or not, you have to inform the dole or any benefits office you may come under. If its voluntary and no payment is received, you will not get penalised but you must tell them.
Posted By: monkeynuts Re: Income support + voluntary work - 15th Jan 2010 10:31pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

If you are getting income support (IS) you are allowed to do voluntary work for a charity, voluntary organisation, or any other organisation or individual.

If you are paid anything other than actual expenses, you are treated as being in paid work, and excluded from IS if you work 16 hours or more a week (24 hours or more if it is your partner who is the volunteer).

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may also consider that it is unreasonable for you to provide your services for free in some cases and assume that you have earnings, whether you have been paid or not. This is known as having notional income.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral