Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 12:44pm
Would anybody happen to know what supermarket-if any- has replaced the kwiky in prestatyn?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 12:48pm
Probably be a somerfield - think they have taken over kwiky

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...mp;resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1
Posted By: MattLFC Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 12:53pm
Was this one of the shite stores that Somefield quickly got rid of? Could have been turned into FreshXpress in this case, as they bought out all the remaining profitable Kwik Save stores iirc.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 12:59pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Probably be a somerfield - think they have taken over kwiky

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...mp;resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

They did, but they got hammered by the competition commission, because along with the purchase of Safeway, it was all just a step too far, they were suddenly going to annoy the big 4 (I think not), so competition was considered unfair.

Also, Somerfield wernt able to do much with the majority of Kwik Save stores because they were in such bad condition and did make enough profits warrant significant investment programmes.

So they kept the best bits and sold the rest for practically nothing (like when BMW sold off Rover, they kept the MINI, R30 [1-Series] and even tried to hang onto Powertrain the cheeky sods, until MG Rover realised)... The company who bought the "crap", went bankrupt themselves I believe, and some stores were purchased by an Irish company FreshXpress, there is one in Warrington. Even they went into administration haha, so it seems Somerfield did right by getting rid of the loss-making shite stores.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 1:22pm
Nooooo!! Not a somerfield.
Going to cheap n cheerful pontins and in previous years we used to get the munch and ale from the kwiky-only a ten min walk, save
Payin their (pontys) extortionte prices!! If its a somerfield, we'll have to starve
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 1:25pm
I thought Morrison's owned Safeway Matt?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 1:27pm
Tbh, the Somerfield in Moreton are as cheap as Kwik Save ever were, if not cheaper... well, that was until the Co-op bought them, and now their prices are steadily climbing, though they still remain competitive.

I actually prefer to shop in Somerfield than in the likes of Asda and Tesco, simply because its a nice relaxing shopping trip; it's always quiet, mostly old people shop there, and people don't tend to take their kids there for a day out and treat the shop like a creche like they do in the bigger supermarkets.

I have all the time in the world to do my shopping, I hate the busy busy busy atmosphere and rush you get in the big boys.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 1:36pm

You would be correct in thinking that, but Somerfield bought up all the smaller Safeway stores iirc because they did not suit Morrisons' business model and suited Somerfields perfectly, and the competition comission got arsy with them, and when they bought up Kwik Save, they came down heavily on them. They were forced to sell some of the stores they acquired, and there were question marks over the Kwik Save sale, so they sold most of the Kwik Save stores off, partly because they were uneconomical to invest in the needed store refubishments, and partly to stop the competition commission moaning anymore.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 1:50pm

Yes, Morrison's bought Safeway and were referred to the competition commission who required them to transfer some stores (the Safeway in Sandbach became a Waitrose for example).

Somerfield bought Kwik Save in 1998 and set about re-branding them, this led to a 16% drop in sales which led to Somerfield being sold to Robert Tichengutz in 2005. In 2006 he sold the Kwik Save name and 171 stores to the 'Back to the Future' group set up by Paul Niklas. In May 2007, Kwik Save shut a third of it sts stores and 2 months later the rest of the stores closed. 56 of the Kwik Save stores were bought by Brendan Murtagh to open as Fresh Express stores, however he sold 32 of them before opening them. In March 2008 Fresh Express went into administration.

Kwik Save originally started with a single store in Rhyl in 1959. I remember their first supermarket opening in Llandudno; it was in an old garage at the top of Mostyn Street, the only work they had done on the garage was to paint it. There were no shelves in the store, goods were sold from cardboard boxes, with their fronts ripped off, stacked on the floor. Some suppliers, including Cadbury refused to supply them as they were selling goods below retail price (this was in the days of retail price maintenance).

They went on to open over a thousand supermarkets, with their head office in Prestatyn.

There you are, a potted history of Kwik Save.

Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 1:59pm
not its not a somerfield anymore we sold it a few months b4 the co-op deal
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 2:05pm
I loved the kwiky! Sob sob
Posted By: SoundLad Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 17th May 2009 9:38pm
Although the Cu**-op brought out somerfield there taking along time to sort out the Staff Discount cause i get somerfield staff members comming in store trying to use there discount and it dont work i said speak to your manager or something get him to ask head office.. Its annoying..
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 20th May 2009 3:33pm
there is a big morrisons down the road in rhyl if that helps,behind the train station
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 20th May 2009 4:31pm
Thanks but ön foot so need to rely ön prestatyn. Prob go into town for a 'bloater' ie a brekky and that will set us up for the day!
Posted By: BMW_Sparkie Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 20th May 2009 5:49pm
Theres nowt built yet on the old kwik save site, there is an iceland right next door to it if that helps.
Posted By: Wench Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 20th May 2009 5:56pm
Totally offtopic but hi Vivaro!! Still alive then fella raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 20th May 2009 6:53pm
Yer-certaimly will! Not payin pontins prices. No way! Fankoo
Posted By: raydrives Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 20th May 2009 8:41pm
there is an aldi at the top of high street turn right cant miss it
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 20th May 2009 9:55pm
Thanks! Wtf is that, i wonder?
Prestatyn is my 'spiritual home' - used to spend the 6wks hols there til my 'welsh nan' died wen i was about 12-know the place so well and i love it!!
Won this break at pontins wich we just gna use as 'a base' coz not taking no kids. Planning to do the offas dyke trail- which is 'new' to me.
As a kid, just used to fight with the local kids who 'dont like scousers on our slide' lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 23rd May 2009 10:28am
Having it large in prestatyn!! Found aldi last nite and stocked up on the ale- no worries about starving-there was a complimentary 'prize winners catering pack' waitin in the chalet! V. Nice surprise!! Buzzin x
Posted By: Wench Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 23rd May 2009 10:41am
Get in Rude!!! Party time then raftl

Have a great time honey, hope you get some decent weather happy
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: What supermarket in prestatyn? - 23rd May 2009 5:40pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Get in Rude!!! Party time then raftl

Have a great time honey, hope you get some decent weather happy

give it large rude!!! smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral