Forums
Posted By: dave_g road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:12am
forgot to get my road tax (now expired)is there a grace period as my car is parked on the road an cant get tax till monday when the post office opens.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:19am
put it on bricks
Posted By: Wench Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:28am
Depends on the date of expiry mate.
Posted By: dave_g Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:46am
28/2/09 should be ok till monday?
Posted By: Wheels Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:52am
I think you get 5days?

I just did mine online frown mine expired the same date.
Posted By: dave_g Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:55am
jus wont drive it till monday,should be ok outside my house.wont be insured with no tax will i?
Posted By: Wench Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 1:19am
If you do it online, print a copy of the receipt just in case. If it's done online, the Police can check with the DVLA and it will show as paid and valid. There is, I believe, an option of printing off a temporary Tax Disc if you renew it online.

If you don't renew your tax disc and you are the registered keeper, you will recieve a computer generated warning letter 2 weeks later. If you still don't tax it, a computer generated fine is sent out to you on the 1st of the next month (exactly one calendar month after your tax expired).

If you use your car on the road in the interim you could be caught by the DVLA's mobile enforcement unit who can clamp and impound your car. The police and authorised traffic wardens can issue fines too.

The DVLA just want all the tax due for your vehicle so if you renew your tax inside of the month following your last discs expiry date they will happily backdate it and no more questions will be asked.

Hope that helps happy
Posted By: Wench Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 1:46am
OK, done a bit more digging on this.

As far as the DVLA are concerned, you have, subject to certain risks, until the end of the month to tax the car, although officially they say they give you 14 days, in practice they actually give you the whole month.

As far as the Police are concerned you will not be legal to drive or keep your car on a public road. You may be stopped by Police, or given a ticket by police if they see your car parked on the road. (no point filling out a SORN for 1 1/2 days). There is no excuse as far is that offence is concerned. The DVLA 14 day grace is NOT RELEVANT to the criminal offence of using or keeping the vehicle without displaying a valid tax disc. But the Police, AFAIK (I'm sure Beemertastic can clarify this either way) will not and cannot clamp your car.

During the first 14 days of March they (DVLA) will not clamp it, probably won't clamp it in the remaining days of March either, but it's more risky that they might.

If clamped by DVLA during the first 14 days, you should point out to them that they say on their website they will not take action in the first 14 days of renewal expiry. You should be ok, and they should (technically) remove the clamp.

However, if clamped by DVLA after the 14 days, then you are in deeper doodoo, and you will probably have to pay a release fee and maybe a fine.
Posted By: Mark Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 9:09am
Just do it online smile

I think if you wanted to pin DVLA down the Law would actually
say there is no GRACE period, that was my understanding from
a traffic cop, so it could be wrong.

If your tax is running out make sure your car insurance is
up to date as they nearly all fall at the same time. frown
Posted By: uggla Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 9:10am
I was driving around without tax for a month not a clue how i didnt spot it either.

didnt get a late payment fine i must have been lucky.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 9:41am
Be VERY careful. If it's a council car park they can issue a ticket as it is considered to be illegally parked if the tax has expired.
This may apply to the clampers who operate in private car parks as well - they tend to be a law unto themselves anyway.
As suggested - I would tax it online and print off the details. I would also stick this where the tax disc should go if only to prove that if you were given a ticket then it was issued by a jobsworth who was a complete d*ck head !!!!
Posted By: Wench Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 11:03am
Originally Posted by PaganJay

As far as the Police are concerned you will not be legal to drive or keep your car on a public road. You may be stopped by Police, or given a ticket by police if they see your car parked on the road. (no point filling out a SORN for 1 1/2 days). There is no excuse as far is that offence is concerned. The DVLA 14 day grace is NOT RELEVANT to the criminal offence of using or keeping the vehicle without displaying a valid tax disc.

If clamped by DVLA during the first 14 days, you should point out to them that they say on their website they will not take action in the first 14 days of renewal expiry. You should be ok, and they should (technically) remove the clamp.

Originally Posted by Mark

I think if you wanted to pin DVLA down the Law would actually
say there is no GRACE period

You're quite right Mark happy
Posted By: Wheels Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 11:45am
Just do it online smile

I did.

Does that mean I am covered from now although im not displsying it as it is in the post?
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 11:45am
hmm...having done operations with DVLA...they dont give any grace...
however do it online and to them its "taxed"...so there wont be any problem until the disc arrives in the mail.
But if you can keep it off the road until the disc arrives...all the better.
Posted By: Wench Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 11:58am
Originally Posted by Wheels
Just do it online smile

I did.

Does that mean I am covered from now although im not displsying it as it is in the post?

Yes Wheels. If you are worried, just put a little note on the dash stating that it has been taxed online. They can then check and you'll be ok.
Posted By: Wench Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:10pm
I should know better than most about reading the small print raftl

Tucked away, I've just noticed this:

You can renew your tax any day from the fifth day of the month.

If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.

Sincere apologies bowdown
Posted By: Wheels Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:10pm
ok ta Jay
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 12:42pm
Cheers Jay - That's worth knowing
x
Posted By: Wheels Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 1:07pm
I did mine on the 27th so I should be in the 5day rule smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 7:57pm
thanks for that jay.. thumbsup
Posted By: Wench Re: road tax - 1st Mar 2009 9:17pm
No worries guys and girls. It's what I does raftl