Forums
Posted By: Dilly Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 7:10am
Following the news this morning that 25 year old Mike Towell has died from his injuries in the ring on Thursday. Is boxing a noble art or just barbaric? Rip young man !
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 7:38am
It is barbaric, and those who enjoy seeing men of evidently limited intelligence beat each other unconscious and inflicting brain damage on each other should re-examine their motives for watching the spectacle.

I hold the cheering spectators more responsible than the combatants.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 11:06am
It's a sport and for someone to say they have "evidently limited intellegence" are showing a limited knoweledge of the sport.

Things can go wrong and thankfully a lot less often than they use to due to medical procedures on the scene.

There are some who I am sure are uneducated but many who have a superb education, I look on it as how many lives has boxing saved. A certain amount who take up the sport are troubled teens and it is used in safe enviroments to let there frustrations out in training keeping them off the street and gives them a hobby.

Death occurs in many activities/hobbies like motor racing, hand gliding, horse riding and many more. All deaths like this should be learnt from.

R.I.P
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 12:50pm
"evidently limited intelligence", shows you know nothing at all. I used to box and my IQ is 135. I`ll say nothing about yours.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 1:00pm
I have no problem with amateur boxing, generally its a fairly safe sport.

Professional boxing is completely different, paying someone to both damage someone else and to receive damage is morally wrong.

MMA is worse, after all the historic work on strict regulation of wrestling and boxing, MMA seemed to pop out the blue and bypass all those regulations?
Posted By: venice Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 3:02pm
In these days of equality , do those condoning amateur boxing equally apply that to female boxers knocking each other about too?
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 3:15pm
Originally Posted by sonylegs
"evidently limited intelligence", shows you know nothing at all. I used to box and my IQ is 135. I`ll say nothing about yours.
Hi Sonylegs, an I.Q. Of 135 is excellent, my Health care professionals measured mine at 35, but if I concentrate really hard I can usually remember to breathe . " Limited intelligence ", how condescending, I don't think anyone accused Muhammad Ali of having limited intelligence, not to his face anyway. It's good to see you more active on the forum Soneylegs.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 6:11pm
Thanks Beethoven. I tend to not read to many topics, I normally just do the entertainment forums. I`m safer there :-)
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Boxing - 1st Oct 2016 10:14pm
just been watching bare knuckle fighting (on youtube) amongst the irish travelling community....the "limited intelligence" comment may be applicable to them . Saying that I wouldn't like to cross one.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Boxing - 2nd Oct 2016 7:52am
If they don't have limited intelligence on starting the 'sport', they will certainly have it by the time they finish. Being knocked unconscious, or even a fairly light blow to the head is no way to improve one's mental faculties.

Sonylegs may well have an 'IQ of 135' but had he never boxed, it might have been 155. I would have thought this might have occurred to him without the need for me to do so, and caused him to refrain from making such a silly point. IQ is generally thought to be a rather suspect method of measuring whatever intelligence is anyway, as it is demonstrable that one can be effectively coached for it!

Traditionally boxing is a way out of dire poverty for poor children with little education, but it is a very risky one. That is why I blame the fans, the promoters and the managers who exploit these chaps' desperation more than I do the boxers.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Boxing - 2nd Oct 2016 5:24pm
A silly point?. I have a high IQ and used to box. What is the silly point?. This is why I try to refrain from making comments in the forums, I do not suffer fools gladly.
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Boxing - 2nd Oct 2016 10:08pm
A silly point?. I have a high IQ and used to box. What is the silly point?. This is why I try to refrain from making comments in the forums, I do not suffer fools gladly.
Don't let them put you off Sonylegs, unfortunately some people are just naturally unfriendly nitpickers who like to sound clever whilst dwelling in the upper reaches of their rectums.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Boxing - 2nd Oct 2016 10:49pm
I know who the good people are Beethoven :-)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Boxing - 3rd Oct 2016 1:34am
Nice spot of Division.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Boxing - 3rd Oct 2016 9:16am

Intelligence and IQ are not the same thing.
https://www.123test.com/is-iq-the-same-as-intelligence/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral