Forums
Posted By: Guzzler Drain Unblocking - 29th Aug 2016 8:48am
Can anyone recommend someone to unblock an outside drain? Thanks
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Drain Unblocking - 29th Aug 2016 7:55pm
Reason its blocked??? Fat and gunge or trapfull of silt, or roots and soil in drain or displaced joint. Wouldn't start with getting someone in to unblock unless you know what problem is. You could be looking at big money
DIY options to start:
Poking a stick in it, boiling water.

Rightway and some caustic soda (the one you are supposed to dissolve in water first) and follow instructions explicitly DO NOT GET ON YOUR BARE SKIN. Would try this as last option because you cant put your hand down without proper gloves as the caustic is very corrosive

If you have a hose pipe that can sometimes be used to jet out build up of silt from trap

If you have a metal inspection cover nearby sometimes worth lifting to see if its full..which would suggest the blockage is further away.

Insurance policies sometimes cover work
Posted By: Uffda Re: Drain Unblocking - 30th Aug 2016 8:44am
Why not call United Utilities? Earlier this year I could hear the toilet waste pipe gurgling as though there was an obstruction. Long story short, after trying all the normal remedies and before getting a company in to clear the blockage, I called United Utilities and explained the situation to them. They said that as I'd not called them before, they would come out and identify the cause and clear the blockage free of charge. If it was their responsibility they would repair the fault, and if it was mine they would let me know what it was but clear everything as a one time deal and I would have to rectify the cause. So a week later two very nice men came over and flushed the drains out, put dye in the toilet and flushed to see the dye all the way to the sewer and then put a camera down and I could see it all the way to the main sewer. Nothing was found so they presumed that it was a stone or debris which was blasted away when they cleaned it out. So I got squeaky clean drains and didn't have to pay a penny. Why not give them a call and see what they say?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Drain Unblocking - 30th Aug 2016 6:44pm
Don a set of good waterproof gauntlets, stick your hand down and feel about.

If if from the kitchen, fat is likely to be the problem. You can haul it out by the handful. An unpleasant task, but hardly an impossibly difficult one. Another possibility is that it may be simply grit and soil that have built up to obstruct the u-bend. Again, easy to remove by hand. If you find nothing, then that is the time to get someone in to it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Drain Unblocking - 1st Sep 2016 9:40pm
How did you get on Guzzler. Got a problem with mine now and its not the bearable kitchen or bath drain but the sewer.
This could be interesting as cant find any inspection cover on the property. Think its one to hit my emergency plumbing insurance provider with after there last failed visit to stop a leaking water pipe.
Have a horrid feeling it could be backed up quite a bit as the upstairs toilet and the one in outhouse both fill up and take a while to lower.
2 Neighbours have just had extensions done so builders could have blocked drain up.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Drain Unblocking - 3rd Sep 2016 6:27am
Originally Posted by fish5133
Have a horrid feeling it could be backed up quite a bit as the upstairs toilet and the one in outhouse both fill up and take a while to lower.

You still have an outhouse fish?
And still use it? grin
Takes me back to when I was 3 years old laugh
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Drain Unblocking - 4th Sep 2016 4:27pm
Originally Posted by mikeeb
Originally Posted by fish5133

You still have an outhouse fish?
And still use it? grin
Takes me back to when I was 3 years old laugh

Yes. Absolute god send when the morning rush starts and kids in bathroom or when working in garden. Bit nippy in winter, home to spiders and slugs. It was the horrible contents rising to the top of the bowl that alerted the problem.
Dyno rod been under emergency insurance policy but they just jetted and cleared it but left the mess for me to clear and have to relay the brick kerb they had to break out.
Quite an impressive roaring sound when the jet had cleared the blockage. Suggests camera inspection might be useful as it could be tree roots causing build up .
Anyway for the time being I can sit contented on the throne
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Drain Unblocking - 4th Sep 2016 8:24pm
nice toilet fish....

Attached picture s.jpg
Posted By: snowhite Re: Drain Unblocking - 4th Sep 2016 8:33pm
Try this Guzzler.should do the trick

DRAIN CLEANER 3x 1 LITRE (L) | 'Super Strength' Instant Liquid | (w/w 96%)
£13.99
Amazon is the best for fast delivery.
keep us updated.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral