Forums
Posted By: ManxCat Creaking Floor Boards - 30th Apr 2016 10:37pm
Hi All,

Does anyone know of someone or company that can fix creaking floor boards in a first floor flat which is carpeted.

The flat has been newly carpeted and empty, so no furniture to move. The living room and hall are very creaky in places, all the areas we use heavily.

I have seen online this can be done without taking up the carpet.

Many thanks in advance.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Creaking Floor Boards - 30th Apr 2016 11:08pm
That trick uses screws (or nails) with break-off heads and doesn't always work for long as without a screw-head pulling the floorboard onto the joist the floorboard can still lift.

It is best if carpet is lifted as proper screws can be used (I usually put cup washers on the screws as well) and also they can be put close to existing brads to lessen the chance of going through any wires or pipes laid beneath the floorboards.

Pipes and wires are either supposed to be laid at a safe depth under the floorboards, or, have metal protecting plates over them in the case of wires. My experience is that neither of those safety measures are used, I've even seen floorboard nails that have grazed pipes and wires.

Sorry, I'm not volunteering, my knees don't appreciate that kind of work any longer.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Creaking Floor Boards - 1st May 2016 2:14pm
Thanks diggingdeeper, good to know It can be done.

I may phone round a few flooring companies to see if they can help.

The carpets are newly laid in the last year.

Suppose we all creak with old age smile
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Creaking Floor Boards - 3rd May 2016 5:10pm
Update..

I was ready to throw in the towel on this but a solution has been found.

Walkers carpets of Duke street Birkenhead came out to me within half an hour and after some careful inspection. They are taking the present carpet and boarding up and putting it all back down securely and with some nice new carpet.

And all at reasonable price.

They are lovely people at Walkers, they can't do enough for you. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral