Forums
Posted By: granny How To Remove Biro - 2nd Apr 2016 9:54pm

Anyone any ideas how to remove biro ? Little darlings have doodled with biro, in every available white patch on our Neddy.

I have tried warm water, but no joy and as I'm not sure what type of paint is used, I don't want to take the finish off it. Gentler the better, if possible.

Attached picture 44.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 12:34am
If it hasn't dried fully yet - Milk.

All the other things risk the paint, you could try some gin out your handbag wink
Posted By: Wally1 Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 12:41am
Dip a tissue in Methylated Spirits and rub gently
on a hidden area of the paint. If no issues, then
rub the ballpoint ink areas to see if it removes
colour. It may leave a trace of colour - if so
try wiping with a drop of well diluted bleach
(10 parts water to one of bleach) - again test
on a hidden area. Good Luck.
Posted By: granny Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 10:01am
The gin was used as medicinal purposes, due to desperation.

The ink is well and truly dried. There is no chance today of attacking it, so meths is on the shopping list, along with more gin, and I shall let you know what happens in a few days.

Thanks for your help.
Posted By: lincle Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 10:59am
Granny try "Magic Eraser" I think its made by "Swish" & costs about £1 .just cut off a piece of the sponge,dampen it & rub gently. "Flash" also make a dearer one that does the same job . You should find in Poundland, maybe Home & Bargain & Supermarkets.Hope it helps poor Neddy to look gorgeous again
Posted By: jimbob Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 1:17pm
drink the meths and not the gin, after a few bottles you will not even see Neddy never mind the biro.. he he
Posted By: cools Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 1:26pm
No advice for you Granny I'm afraid, just to say I love your Neddy. Love rocking horses the older the better. They have one like yours in my grandsons nursery and he's called Neddy as well. They can't ride him he's just for show in the hallway. We always have to give him a hug and say bye as we leave.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 1:40pm
Neddy reminds me of the rocking horse they had in Blacklers by the lift doors many moons ago.
Posted By: venice Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 2:42pm
He's a really handsome steed granny.
Posted By: granny Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 2:48pm

lincle, I have just read some reviews on Magic eraser blocks, and they sound pretty good. Non abrasive, so thank you. The paint does have a slight gloss/sheen to it, and that is the worry, finding something that won't dull it.

I too love rocking horses, and often look at them for sale on ebay. Neddy has been with our family for over thirty years now. He arrived a little worse for wear and over the years with all the children's friends playing on him, ended up just about bald, a stringy tail, scratched, hammered, and generally a pitiful sad old chap. So 5 years ago , he went to hospital in Moreton for a complete surgical make-over and came back as good as new.

He's so much happier now, and we love him to bits. He's my pride and joy and now he's a bit hissed off that he's about to get 'the treatment' (whatever it is).

Made by Collinsons of Liverpool and the one in Blacklers, I would think came from the same place.

Jimbob, he talks to me when the gin is around , telling tales of misery, and of old attics where the cobwebs got up his nose, and the mice nibbled his ears. The children fell out of love with him and he was cast aside for a new bike or a pair of roller skates. It's so sad.. but he's happy now, ( well, he was until yesterday).
Posted By: Excoriator Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 3:16pm
You could try acetone (Nail varnish remover) if you have some. Its quite a good solvent.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 3:55pm
I have some graffiti remover handy for this purpose if interested, give me a bell if interested granny, I am local and can drop it off if required.

We use this type of stuff at work etc.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 4:39pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
You could try acetone (Nail varnish remover) if you have some. Its quite a good solvent.

Dissolves most paints, watered down isopropyl or meths is safer.
Posted By: starakita Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 5:51pm
could try W D 40 just spray some on a damp cloth
Posted By: granny Re: How To Remove Biro - 3rd Apr 2016 8:50pm
So many helpful tips here. Thanks to all and I will get back to you paintboffin if I need your offer. Many thanks for that.

Tomorrow, in the daylight, a closer study of Neddy might reveal more.
Posted By: granny Re: How To Remove Biro - 8th Apr 2016 3:09pm
Success ! Before having time to go to the shops for anything, I thought that hob cleaner (the cream type) might be worth a try. Bingo ! Just a tiny little bit and gentle circular rubbing with cotton wool ,did the trick. Then a damp warm cloth to remove any residue, and a quick rub and polish. It worked a treat. Fortunately , none of the biro art had gone so deep as to make indentations. It could have been so much worse.......breath again.

Thanks to all. smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How To Remove Biro - 8th Apr 2016 3:47pm
Well done, I love that hob cleaner, I've used it on all sorts but usually metal.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral