Forums
Posted By: Greenwood Looking for beer recommendations! - 19th Mar 2016 11:47am
I want to buy some good tasty local beers for a gift; nothing too heavy, something light and refreshing with a bit of a bite. Does anyone have any ideas? I know taste is a very personal thing; my personal tastes tend to stray a bit north of the border - Harviestoun's Bitter and Twisted, Tennants 80/- and so forth - but I'd like to go local if possible. If there are any local brews that are well liked, that would be a start. I can get to the Ship in a Bottle shop in West Kirby; Burleydam Garden Centre has some there too. Cheers!
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 19th Mar 2016 12:31pm
Buy him (I'm assuming it's a him) some homebrew equipment and a good quality beet kit. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 19th Mar 2016 2:21pm
Brimstage Brewery: Trapper's Hat is my favourite when I'm in the area. Don't know which shops stock it, but a call to the brewery would inform.

Brimstage Brewing Co Ltd
Home Farm
Brimstage Lane
Brimstage
Wirral
CH63 6HY
Tel: 0151 342 1181
Mob: 07870 968323
[email protected]
Posted By: karlb Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 19th Mar 2016 3:12pm
There is also peerless http://www.peerlessbrewing.co.uk in birkenhead
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 19th Mar 2016 5:36pm
I don't think son-in-law has the headspace for homebrewing at the moment, but it's a possible for the future! I'd heard of Trapper's Hat, but not Peerless - will explore those possibilities. Have just picked some 'Britman' up at Burleydam that's made at Burton Manor, for starters. Thanks!
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 20th Mar 2016 9:32pm
Nothing beats a bit of taste testing. Get yourself to Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight for the Ship & Mitre beer festival over the Bank Holiday weekend

http://www.theshipandmitre.com/festivals/
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 20th Mar 2016 9:43pm
A good beer is one that you would go back for a second.

"Holy Grail" is NOT one. "Old Speckled Hen" tastes ok but has some sort of laxative in it.

Farmers Arms in Frankby used to do (may still)3 small 1/3rd pint glasses so you could have a bit of each.

Lunch at Red Fox Thornton Hough today and was allowed a sample of each-- especially if you go looking a bit unsure ---
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 8:41am
Old Speckled Hen is a bit 'supermarket' I think, I can buy it anywhere. Good tip about the laxative though - so much more enjoyable than other over-the-counter remedies, I daresay! I did buy a bottle with 'Happy Beerthday' on the label (Staffordshire Brewery) - might taste like cat's pee, but worth a gamble for the novelty!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 10:46am
Thirsty Thursday at Peerless Brewery from 4.30 this week.

Pop down and meet Rose and Steve, try all the beers they make and then you can buy in bottles from the brewery shop.

You can also take your own food and have a bit of a picnic!

Pool Street, Birkenhead.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 11:48am
Hi Gibbo, I've been thinking about calling in to Peerless brewery for a slurp or two, does one have to pre book? I assume there's an admission fee. If I recall correctly there was a Wiki night out there a couple of years ago which was ruined by an ex member called Pepperhead which unfortunately resulted in a valued member MarkB choosing to leave the forum. Perhaps we could try again.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 12:04pm
http://www.peerlessbrewing.co.uk/articles/1/brewery-tours
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 12:15pm
Thanks Sunny.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 12:48pm
try 'the lazy landlord' on mill lane , liscard

https://www.facebook.com/Lazy-Landlord-303124179857452/?fref=ts
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 3:00pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Hi Gibbo, I've been thinking about calling in to Peerless brewery for a slurp or two, does one have to pre book? I assume there's an admission fee. If I recall correctly there was a Wiki night out there a couple of years ago which was ruined by an ex member called Pepperhead which unfortunately resulted in a valued member MarkB choosing to leave the forum. Perhaps we could try again.

No, its free on Thirsty Thursday, just turn up anytime after 4.30.

You only have to pay and book for the brewery tours.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 3:27pm
Thanks Gibbo.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Looking for beer recommendations! - 21st Mar 2016 5:52pm
Good heads-up on the Thirsty Thursday (can't make the beer festival over the weekend, sadly) but on the Peerless website it says the Thursday is March 31st, not this week. Too late for the lad's birthday, but there are some tasty-looking ales listed so I might take a chance on a few. Thanks!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral