Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Door bells - 29th Feb 2016 6:47pm
Fed up with wireless ones as they seem to eat the batteries and then not work. Seem to remember my parents had one wired to a 9volt battery and it was loud and don't remember them changing battery for years.
Anyone recently had a "proper" one installed to the mains
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Door bells - 29th Feb 2016 8:47pm
Still have front doors open here in rural Ireland with just the shout of hello and they let themselves in. No bell required fish.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Door bells - 29th Feb 2016 8:55pm
Years ago they used to run on transformers, don't think it should be to hard to wire a modern bell that way.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Door bells - 29th Feb 2016 9:11pm
Clockwork bells are pretty good (loud and no power needed), small hole for shaft through side panel or door.

CLICKY
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Door bells - 29th Feb 2016 10:35pm
Mine is wired. It uses two 'D' cells. I intended to fit a mains PSU - probably a switch mode one - if replacing the 'D' cells proved expensive, but they've been there for some years now. About a month ago I had to remove it to do some redecorating and checked the voltage while I was at it. 1.4V. They'll last a few years yet, so a mains powered one isn't going to happen.

My bell-push is an old fashioned brass one with the word 'Push' on the button - as if anyone would try to pull it! I would steer clear of the illuminated ones that have a clip on plastic cover. They tend to get nicked by less scrupulous citizens who find they are unavailable unless you buy the whole shebang at vast cost. Also you really need mains power for one for those. Batteries wouldn't last any time!

I don't recall paying a lot of money for it. I think I got it from Homebase or B&Q
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Door bells - 1st Mar 2016 9:17am
Just checked. Its a Friedland 3v Bell in one. Still available at about £15. You provide your own bell push.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral