Forums
Posted By: _Steve_ Jury Service - 10th Jan 2016 10:09pm
My fiancée is on Jury service tomorrow and is very excited but also a bit nervous, has anyone on here done jury service before and could tell us what to expect. smile
Posted By: cools Re: Jury Service - 10th Jan 2016 10:17pm
I have done a few years ago now and I was very nervous and dreading it, but in the end found it quite good. Be prepared for a lot of sitting around in the the big room jury pool think it's called. I onl went on two cases and they were not very serious . Was glad I didn't have to heavy one. You tend to form little clicks with People who you sit with and chat. It's really not as bad as you think, take a good book to read.
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Jury Service - 11th Jan 2016 9:12pm
Thanks cools, she went today and just as you said, she's spent all day sitting around.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Jury Service - 11th Jan 2016 9:19pm
Did it 2 years ago and loved it.. apart from the waiting around to get a case. Free nosh. Recommend taking something to do like knitting or a book as you can wait all day and not get picked for a case.
I took some fishing line and hooks to tie up. Guy opposite thought I was mad as all he could see was my hands and fingers turning and then me spitting on something (the knot)and then putting something into a little plastic bag.

First case was a major drug bust with 2 defendants, one of which would have reached Australia if someone had given him a JCB,, he just kept digging a hole for himself. What was funny was the barristers in wigs holding their lapels just like a tv drama. Took about 3 days. The next case we got was adjourned so never got to sit on it.

so it will be either dead boring waiting around (and not getting a case) or exciting even humourous and then a little daunting as you decide the fate of someone.(fortunately we don't hang them any more)

Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Jury Service - 12th Jan 2016 7:04pm
Cheers Fish, she had another boring day, sitting around hoping to be called. sleep
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Jury Service - 12th Jan 2016 8:36pm
Originally Posted by _Steve_
Cheers Fish, she had another boring day, sitting around hoping to be called. sleep

Do hope she gets a case so much more interesting. If she hasn't spotted already there was a monitor screen hanging from ceiling just where you walk in to waiting room which displays the cases
Posted By: cools Re: Jury Service - 12th Jan 2016 8:44pm
Sometimes you get called for a case, go to the courtroom only to be not picked so back to the room. That happened to me I was abit miffed. Just enjoy the rest..
Posted By: snowhite Re: Jury Service - 12th Jan 2016 8:45pm
Originally Posted by cools
Sometimes you get called for a case, go to the courtroom only to be not picked so back to the room. That happened to me I was abit miffed. Just enjoy the rest..
Is it true that you are not suppose to discuss the case with family and friends?x
Posted By: cools Re: Jury Service - 12th Jan 2016 8:57pm
Oh yes Snowy you cannot discuss it with anyone, you are told that at the start. It's serious stuff.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral