Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 9:00pm
Anyone know if the friends of the ferries is still going, I can't find anything apart from historic news articles on the internet.

The website that I presume used to belong to them just has a load of angling information and not a ferry in sight.

Haven't checked facebook/twitter etc as you can never tell which ones are "official" and which aren't on them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 9:26pm
I don't know how official they are but there are campaign groups on Facebook re. saving Woodside and Seacombe Ferries (if that is your reason for looking).
Posted By: snowhite Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 10:09pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Anyone know if the friends of the ferries is still going, I can't find anything apart from historic news articles on the internet.

The website that I presume used to belong to them just has a load of angling information and not a ferry in sight.

Haven't checked facebook/twitter etc as you can never tell which ones are "official" and which aren't on them.
There was a meeting today but as usual have not came to any answers what will happen.
Was listening to it on that Bay tv channel earlier on xx
Posted By: starakita Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 10:13pm
I think there's some sort of protest at 11 o clock on Saturday morning at Woodside
Posted By: snowhite Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 10:20pm
Originally Posted by starakita
I think there's some sort of protest at 11 o clock on Saturday morning at Woodside
Dont think they will close one or the other down in the near future Star.
Be sad if this did happen.History once again wiped out.
Posted By: granny Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 10:58pm
Here DD. Try Gordon Ditchfield. Even if it was 3 yrs ago, I'm sure he would be able to update you.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/777656/Friends_of_the_Ferries_-_Dock_.html
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 11:15pm
Cheers granny, I'm trying to think where my newsletters are.

Gordon is still active in the "Wirral transport Users Association" and is still listed as the Friends of the Ferries rep there so is probably a good person to contact.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 7th Jan 2016 11:52pm
Originally Posted by starakita
There is also a protest- at some time- about Seacombe Ferry closing.

Sad, sad situation for all of us.

In my Opinion- Seacombe has the free carpark for ferry users. Probably used by business people, working in Liverpool. On the Leisure front, there is 2+ miles of waterfront to enjoy- especially for foreign visitors who do truly buzz off taking selfies of themselves with the Liverpool skyline in the background.

Other than that, there is nothing else in Seacombe to see.

The advantages of the Woodside terminal is Hamilton Square Train Station. I would think that those of you from South/ West Wirral who wish to travel to Liverpool on our Ferry could do so much easier by travelling to Hamilton Square first?
However, what and where in Woodside is there to go to ?(tourist point of view)??
Posted By: granny Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 1:36am
Maybe..just maybe, they have crucified themselves with the prices !

plus car parking charges at Woodside.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 3:10am
Originally Posted by granny
Maybe..just maybe, they have crucified themselves with the prices !

Yes - but who crucified OUR ferries - they belong to US, not THEM.
Posted By: cools Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 7:48am
Many years ago I went to Hong Kong and went on their ferries which are very similar to ours. Star Ferries they are called ...they were heaving with people all going over to Kowloon (I think it was) anyway as I say absolutley full up and one after the other. The fare was something like 30pence in our money and apparently had stayed that way for years. Still don't think it's too much now. I said then ours should be like this cheap as chips and full all the time sure it would generate more money in long rum. Don't think this thing of putting fares up when losing money makes sense, the trains and buses should be so cheap people want to use them...
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 11:14am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
However, what and where in Woodside is there to go to ?(tourist point of view)??

Not a great deal now. From a post I made in November:

Before I was a local and came to Liverpool on a day trip, I took the obligatory ferry trip. Got to Woodside and there was nothing, save a sign for the Grasshopper, which was closed. I and others milled around a bit, then went back to the ferry, disappointed. Some don't even get off the boat.

There needs to be more promotion of the town and the attractions nearby (Hamilton Square, Gallaghers, Italian Consulate, Birkenhead Priory, Grasshopper, the Victorian Street, the trams), a free bus to New Brighton perhaps,
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 12:07pm
I'm afraid these discussions concerning the ability of Birkenhead to attract people, be they tourists, shoppers or businesses are all avoiding talking about the elephant in the room, which is that due to lack of investment by local and central government, and the conduct of many of the inhabitants, which you could argue has been formed by social and economic deprivation, Birkenhead ( to quote my late lamented Grandmother) is a Shithole.
Posted By: granny Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 12:18pm
I think you are right in many ways Cools. However, the problem here is that commuters can't use the ferry from Woodside and the day trippers are not bountiful all year around, generally only in school holidays.
Locals are not going to pay £10 to do a 50 min trip (including the UBoat), too often, or even to use it as a form of transport , the service is not really geared up for that any longer.
Ask yourselves 'when did I last take the ferry cruise in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/ from Woodside ?' If you haven't or can't remember, then the chances are, that every one else's answer will be the same.
Nuff said. The ferries don't run on fresh air, and the service is not geared up for locals from Woodside.
The tourist thingy which was created with massive amounts of money from ERDF, seemed to fizzle out. A new landing stage and attraction at Seacombe, a new terminal at Pier Head and an old boat going cheap for Woodside.
Speaks volumes to me....
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 1:19pm
It seems to me that it is part of the scheme to dismantle of Birkenhead. what Hitler didn't achieve from the air has been achieved by the Town Hall.

The planners are busy grabbing Governments grant they find whether it is useful or not. Just because money is available for a project doesn't mean that the project is good for the area.

They also get bogged down with small detail and forget to look at the bigger picture.
Posted By: granny Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 2:06pm
There used to be events going on at Woodside on a regular basis.
Local History Fair, Tea Dances, Christmas Santa, Morris dancing, craft fairs, vintage car rally, Twin Town events, even the Beatles Festival (as it was then) was extended to Woodside one year, and so much more. With the events many more people would take a ferry trip whilst there, have a cup of tea or lunch, and all things ran hand in hand. Mostly events organised by the council but then the ferries closed their shop, the council closed Tourist office and the buses were virtually non-existent. Town Hall museum closed, Pacific road closed, Pumping house closed, and that area was basically handed over to the waifs and strays.

My view is that there will be a private company (Peel Holdings ?) to continue the passage and cruises from one of the terminals, but if that should happen, it will only be a matter of time before that too will run at a loss, and have the plug pulled on it for ever. 'Take overs' are not a long term proposition just a sticking plaster in this day and age.
Of course , that opinion might be completely wrong smile

20 Year Vision....

http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/about-us/Pages/20-year-vision-for-Mersey-Ferries.aspx
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 3:16pm
Peel definitely won't get involved apart from taking it over to asset strip it. If Peel don't already own the land then its a fair bet that they would want it.

Elsewhere I stated a few days ago that I'm wondering if Peel already have an influence over this.

Peel already have far too big a monopoly on our waterside areas!!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 3:16pm
I've just read the "20 year vision" and it makes grim reading. I doubt I'll be around to see it (thank goodness), but I'd be surprised if Woodside is still operational in five years, let alone twenty. I was there about a month ago with Pinzgauer, hoping to grab a coffee but when we saw that they expect disabled badge holders (me) to pay for parking, we quickly left.
As a matter of interest, I was just looking at the direct service timetable: who wrote that? Arrival and departure times are identical, so I suppose alighting and boarding is an instantaneous process. think
Posted By: granny Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 4:34pm
Peel Group own Manchester Ship Canal, so they could find it beneficial to incorporate (tourism ) and the Ship Canal Cruises into their ever expanding arms. As you are DD, I am convinced this is all part of involvement with Peel Group on one level or another, and as per usual the public are kept near enough in the dark until the 11th hour. These decisions will have been discussed, proposed, contemplated for years with gradual minor movements in the direction to which the final crunch comes.

Does anyone know how a Royal Charter can become revoked.

Edward III gave the Royal Charter from Birkenhead to Liverpool 'for ever' in 14th century.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 4:57pm
I think the opening up of the road in front of The Town Hall is/was part of the ferries plan.This council of hidden agendas greased through with nonsensical public consultations will have to go to plan B.I have read there is six million pounds worth of tram rail from The Liverpool big fail with Wirral written on them
(not really) but you know what I mean.Close Woodside and a tram to Seacome running on Liverpool's rusty failure will be our share of the big spend.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 5:26pm

The issue is not revoking but whether its possible to enforce it if it gets ignored.

Peel are only interested in land, they don't do tourism, one of their decisions was to dump the tram system and the historic warships. They get slightly involved in tourism only when backed in a corner and have no choice to enable the much bigger non-tourism developments.

The loss of the historic warships was a crime in my eyes, they could have offered other locations at least on a temporary basis to give some breathing space.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 5:27pm

Edward III gave the Royal Charter from Birkenhead to Liverpool 'for ever' in 14th century.

I'm not sure that the Charter obliged the monks to operate a ferry, just that that it gave them the right to do so.
Posted By: granny Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 7:23pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

I'm not sure that the Charter obliged the monks to operate a ferry, just that that it gave them the right to do so.

Yes, it gave them the right to do so, but also that there should be a ferry from Birkenhead to Liverpool crossing the arm of the river for ever.
Unfortunately I can't find a copy of the original charter.

It could be argued that the Charter was given to the Priory which is now Council and the license was transferred to Mersey Ferries which could be changed as time passes.

Tonight's news announced that Aberdeen Asset Management have bought the Albert Dock for £43million. Another international investment management group.
Lloyds Banking Group sold Scottish Widows Investment Partnership (SWIP) to Aberdeen Asset Management in a £660m deal
Lloyds have a huge shareholding too.

Wheels within wheels . Can't keep this up it exhausts me. No wonder it takes years for all these things to get off the ground. Too many big boys involved. Wirral Waters 30 years ? They've taken 10 yrs to talk about it !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 9:13pm
The charter was passed on to MPTE as was the Wallasey franchise frown

The charter referred to "the right to ferry over the arm of the sea for men, horses and goods with leave to charge reasonable tolls." The Woodside ferry franchise passed through many different hands until invested in the commissioners for the township of Birkenhead in 1842. It was passed by the Birkenhead Corporation to the Merseyside PTE in 1969.

The Wallasey ferry has been in existence at least since 1541 and possibly longer. The Wallasey Improvement Act 1842 authorised the Wallasey Corporation to acquire the franchise, which it did in 1862. It took 20 years because the people like to make a proper job of it on that side of the river, as we do on ours. Those rights were passed to the Merseyside PTE in 1969.
Posted By: granny Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 11:24pm
Thanks for that DD.

Dusty has probably got a point too, with regard to Town Hall.

This was 9 yrs ago. Unfortunately, I can't make out where the Town Hall is, if it is there at all and I'm sure the plans have been changed numerous times since.

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1223990.woodside_plan_goes_on_display/
Posted By: chriskay Re: Friends of the Mersey Ferries? - 8th Jan 2016 11:41pm
Thanks for that DD.

Dusty has probably got a point too, with regard to Town Hall.

This was 9 yrs ago. Unfortunately, I can't make out where the Town Hall is, if it is there at all and I'm sure the plans have been changed numerous times since.

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1223990.woodside_plan_goes_on_display/

Pie in the sky: will never happen. Birkenhead will always be in the shadow of Liverpool and so much damage has been done to it over the years that the situation is irretrievable.
The town hall is at the top of the drawing, with the cupola on top.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral