Forums
Posted By: steamfan Cooker regulations - 12th Nov 2015 3:05pm
I've just purchased a new electric cooker, it's going in the place where the old one currently is. However, the installers won't do the job if there is wallpaper behind the hob. Now I've looked for this, and can find plenty of regs about this for gas cookers, but not electric. Any help, anyone, please
Posted By: Salmon Re: Cooker regulations - 12th Nov 2015 4:19pm
There are many, many websites about installing an electric cooker and they all say the same. No wallpaper or flammable materials allowed. Why not strip the wallpaper and tile the area behind and around the cooker or simply strip the paper and emulsion over the area.Cheap and easy.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Cooker regulations - 12th Nov 2015 11:10pm
The manufacturer of the cooker will have siting information such as "Adjacent side walls which project above hob level, must not be nearer to the cooker than 150mm and should be protected by heat resistant material. Any overhanging surface or cooker hood should not be nearer than 650mm."

The installer must install in compliance with the manufacturers specifications, in the absence of such data the installer will have to use his experience of other similar fittings combined with his own judgement.

As a professional the installer (as a company and as a certified individual) is legally responsible for the way he fits things, his decision on the safety of a fitting is his responsibility whether the aspect is covered in law or not and this liability cannot be signed off.
Posted By: steamfan Re: Cooker regulations - 21st Nov 2015 8:58pm
Hello, all - thanks for your replies, and sorry for not getting back to you! I pulled the wallpaper off, and just left the plaster while I decide on some tiles. But when the chap installed it, he said I could've left it on, as that instruction was for gas hobs! Oh well, never mind. Better safe than sorry!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral