Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Heysel disaster names? - 29th May 2015 12:01pm
Can anyone tell me the names of the ... charged with the manslaughter of 39 people who died in this disaster?

I'd like to read up on what else the ... have done since this event thanks.

I know 2 of them were in prison in 87 on separate charges.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Heysel disaster names? - 29th May 2015 12:31pm
Any Help ?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Heysel disaster names? - 29th May 2015 12:40pm
Thanks for the link daz but I read that earlier, unfortunately it doesn't give any names of those charged apart from the 2 police officers.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Heysel disaster names? - 29th May 2015 3:41pm
There was a lot of violence before and during the match before the disaster. The disaster itself was caused by inadequate policing and the wall collapsing - both Belgium police and officials were successfully prosecuted.

The Liverpool fans were effectively given a minimal sentence because their contribution wasn't considered a primary factor. I believe none of them spent time in prison after prosecution.

Names of those successfully prosecuted were ...

Michael Baines, Stanley Conroy, Gary Cooper, Gary Evans, Kerin Hughes, Graham Postlethwaite, Gary Rutter, Timothy Williams, Terence Wilson, Alan Woodray, Mark Woods, Paul Wright, Ronald O'Brien and John Davies.
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Heysel disaster names? - 29th May 2015 4:38pm
Two officials were charged. Captain Johan Mahieu, the policeman in charge of security, and Albert Roosens, secretary of the Belgian Football Union, were convicted of criminal negligence.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Heysel disaster names? - 30th May 2015 5:06pm
My uncle who was there says the fighting was going on the night before the match. He's a kopite and told me in his stories that it was mainly LFC fans starting it in the pubs the night before.

I still have to this day a Juventus scarf he brought back, he had swapped his LFC one on a train with one of the many Italians who mixed friendly beforehand.

I never got much about the night in question from him, however he did say that both sets of fans had sections who were looking for trouble, also claims that probably 95% weren't but others almost had to join in to defend themselves, his last information was the police didn't give a flying f*** what happened outside the ground and thats why it spilled onto the terraces.

Many causing the trouble were just ushered in to try and separate them rather than arrests being made outside the stadium.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral