Forums
Posted By: keving best site to quote for courier services - 4th Mar 2015 9:46pm
Hi,
i have to post 3 sets of alloy wheels/tyres. The heaviest are 30kgx4

What site gives the best quotes for this service? I've tried interparcel, parcels2go, and parcelmonkey.
Just wonder if i'm missing something.
Cheapest quote is about £60 for the set
Try price for wheels individually on parcels2go, or in pairs etc, putting them together makes them too heavy for the cheap couriers.

30kgX4 - what are they? tractor wheels?

If they are going to one place them it might be best to palletise them and look at a haulier - I've never done that so don't know.

Alternatively put them on shiply - its like an ebay for transporting things, you say what you want moving and couriers bid for the work.
Posted By: Salmon Re: best site to quote for courier services - 4th Mar 2015 11:25pm
Have you tried My Parcel http://www.myparceldelivery.com
A bit like Gocompare.
I have to agree with diggindeeper about the weight. 30 kg is one heck of a tyre unless you mean the whole wheel.
Posted By: neilhbb Re: best site to quote for courier services - 5th Mar 2015 7:27am
Avoid parcelmonkey like the plague. They left me high and dry when CityLink went bust and I had to drive to Southampton to pick up a parcel and do their job for them.
Posted By: palemoon Re: best site to quote for courier services - 5th Mar 2015 8:21am
Originally Posted by neilhbb
Avoid parcelmonkey like the plague. They left me high and dry when CityLink went bust and I had to drive to Southampton to pick up a parcel and do their job for them.

Ditto Hermes. When I retired I did some work for them. They talk the talk BUT they are the most unprofessional, inefficient organisation imaginable.
Posted By: IanGsi16v Re: best site to quote for courier services - 5th Mar 2015 10:21am
For alloy wheels I have always used Paisly Freight.

For my 19's it was about £35.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: best site to quote for courier services - 5th Mar 2015 11:02am
Had no problems with Hermes. Only sent about 30 items with them. Have had more claims with Royal Mail losing or not delivering. Pharos were able to deliver items over 1.5m long at a reasonable price.
Posted By: palemoon Re: best site to quote for courier services - 5th Mar 2015 12:03pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Had no problems with Hermes. Only sent about 30 items with them. Have had more claims with Royal Mail losing or not delivering. Pharos were able to deliver items over 1.5m long at a reasonable price.

Hermes are only as good as their individual couriers, who are all self-employed. As in any job there are good and bad. Hermes pay is dreadful. When I left, the couriers had not had an increase in wages for fourteen years. This lead to a massive turn over in staff and the ones who stuck it out were getting paid peanuts. And you know what you get when you pay peanuts... dunno Consequently very few were conscientious and would not care where they left parcels or how they handled them. This attitude led to many customer complaints which would normally be ignored.
I am going back a few years now, so things may have changed.
have you ever heard of these folks?
http://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

i used to work in freight so you might want to look at 'freight forwarders' as anything over 32kg is 'overweight' when it comes to courier companies.

I did a quick calculation for you using the transglobal website,
i assused certain facts, ie your 4 x parcels will be picked up & delivered within the uk, each parcel weighs 30kg (x4) and the dimensions of each one is 30cm x 30cm x 30cm. I chose Portsmouth as the pick up as i wanted somewhere far (enough) from the Wirral.

Quote came in at £78.15 +VAT (it's just an idea of price but I am assuming that is door to door delivery).

ONE THING - about Transglobal, I think it's credit card only (not sure but you can check on that).
Oh and they are (or at least used to be) based in Bromborough.

Good Luck
OC
Posted By: fish5133 Re: best site to quote for courier services - 5th Mar 2015 6:46pm
May also want to check what the courier does if no one in. One of the big carriers have taken things back to depot in Liverpool and had to pick up there.
Pity there isn't a website for lorry drivers to do a few foreigners to make a bit of extra money.
Posted By: keving Re: best site to quote for courier services - 9th Mar 2015 12:15pm
Ok thanks all.
I sent 2 sets on Friday with UPS £50 for the 24kgx4 and £61 for the 30x4
Yodel would do it £10 cheaper but have heard they are horrendous.

Going to send another set of 30kg/each on Wednesday, so I'll prove the other options but as long as the others have got there ok today/tomorrow I'll prob use ups.

For those asking they aren't tractor wheels Nope, the big ones are 22" Porsche cayenne wheels with 295 tyres...
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: best site to quote for courier services - 9th Mar 2015 12:30pm
Pi ty there isn't a website for lorry drivers to do a few foreigners to make a bit of extra money.

Sounds like an excellent idea for a mobile app, if only i knew how to write a program frown
Pity there isn't a website for lorry drivers to do a few foreigners to make a bit of extra money.

That's exactly what shiply is that I mentioned earlier.

SHIPLY
© Wirral-Wikiwirral