Forums
Posted By: venice Roof treatment - 5th Feb 2015 7:02pm
Weve had a leaflet from 'Roofstyle Systems' throught the door. A 5yr old company from Birkenhead who coat the tiles on your roof with a product that is supposed to extend their life - stops moss, waterproofs the tiles , stops erosion, and protects pointing.
Sounds like a reasonable alternative to re-roofing? Anyone had this process done a few years ago ? Has it does what it says on the can? Anyone any feedback on this particular firm? Thanks.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Roof treatment - 5th Feb 2015 7:46pm
You may be surprised how little difference there is in the price of such an operation compared with a brand new roof, worth getting quotes if you think your roof needs attention. Remember a new roof almost certainly includes new felt under the tiles which helps insulate the property.
Posted By: venice Re: Roof treatment - 5th Feb 2015 8:22pm
Yes this is the sort of thing I wonder about - Im always suspicious about claims for anything other than proper re-roofing . House roof near us had some sort of special covering around 7 years ago-and now its as covered in moss as anyone elses.Just thought theres probably new technology now so worth another consideration. Roof not leaking yet , but it is nearing the end of its natural , so just starting to look around in preparation.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Roof treatment - 5th Feb 2015 8:33pm
My honest advice is renew your roof totally you will always have your old worn tiles underneath and yes I do work in a roofing yard lol
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Roof treatment - 5th Feb 2015 11:06pm
IMO waste of money---like painting rotten wood. Likely to do more damage to your existing tiles when they walk on them.
One thing to consider when reroofing is a requirement for your roof to meet latest thermal regs. Technically this can mean having to insulate your loft if its not already done or if the insulation is too thin. Not a bad thing -- but not always practical if your loft full of junk or boarded out. It didnt apply if only part of your roof being repaired.
Posted By: venice Re: Roof treatment - 5th Feb 2015 11:16pm
Thanks everyone, good points to consider . Probably will just get the roof done properly with new felt n all.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Roof treatment - 5th Feb 2015 11:22pm
Also, a coating like that wouldn't help if the nails holding your tiles up start to fail, you'd just end up with gaps.

I've heard of a system where stuff is sprayed onto the underside of the tiles when the torching is crumbling and falling away (in older roofs that don't have felt); that's mainly a stabliliser but it has some insulating effect. I think it was called Renotherm, but it might not be suitable for your situation.
Posted By: bigwillow Re: Roof treatment - 6th Feb 2015 9:40pm
the stuff thay coat your roof with is a scam . you watch it will be on watchdog and cowboy builders in the near future.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral