Forums
Posted By: pokerchamp tipping in egypt. - 1st Feb 2015 3:13pm
hi i was just wondering if anybody on here had any ideas about what you tip in egypt?ive never been there before and have no idea about what amounts to tip bar staff/waiters ect!!!also do you tip in enlish or egyption pounds?
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: tipping in egypt. - 1st Feb 2015 3:23pm
No matter what you give the person receiving always looks disappointed, i think they practice this 'art' from an early age. It's been many years since i visited the region so any advice i offer will no doubt be out of date so i would advise you visit tripadvisor.com and put your question to them, the site is pretty accurate.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: tipping in egypt. - 1st Feb 2015 3:25pm
I've done the search for you, here is the link to the reply.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294200-c94591/Egypt:Suggested.Individual.Tipping.In.Egypt.html
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: tipping in egypt. - 1st Feb 2015 3:26pm
thanks
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: tipping in egypt. - 1st Feb 2015 3:27pm
No problem, glad to help.
Posted By: lansyp Re: tipping in egypt. - 1st Feb 2015 6:06pm
It all depends on weather your all inclusive or not .if all inclusive we just tip at the end of the holiday to all the people we have had good service from and usually tip in english. If you tip the bar staff at the hotel at the start of the holiday you will get a better service but we tend to be friendly to everyone and to them that's as good as a tip.and my biggest tip is be aware of the Russians they have no manners and don't cue for anything they just barge to the front,it is hard but just let it go or it will ruin your holiday.been to Egypt 3 times and its brilliant and if you snorkel then your in for a treat

Posted By: Salmon Re: tipping in egypt. - 1st Feb 2015 6:25pm
Wouldn't life be much simpler if service staff were paid a decent wage and tipping was not required to boost their earnings ? It is such a problematical thing and I find myself giving over the odds just in case even if the service has been ropey.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: tipping in egypt. - 2nd Feb 2015 2:27am
Only use the local pounds. £1 = 11 Egyptian pounds.
It's difficult to get small value notes.
The notes are often quite dirty - wash hands.

There is always someone about offering service
for a tip, from the airport to the loos. I've
given 2 Egyptian pounds to use the loo, which
I thought was expensive until I later worked
it out as 20p.

The funniest was in a tomb in the workers village
near the Valley of the Kings. It was hot inside
and a local was loaning out pieces of cardboard
to use as a fan which you had to return giving
a tip as you left.

I called Egypt the Land of the Outstretched Palm
but it is a great place.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: tipping in egypt. - 2nd Feb 2015 1:43pm
Was in Uganda week before last and its the first time I became a millionaire --in fact a double millionaire. Problem with tipping was that I would hand over a 1000 shilling note because it sounds a lot only to realise it was less than 25p.
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: tipping in egypt. - 2nd Feb 2015 3:03pm
iv'e decided in going to take some pound coins with me and tip with them!hopefully they will be happy then!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: tipping in egypt. - 2nd Feb 2015 4:47pm
Originally Posted by pokerchamp
iv'e decided in going to take some pound coins with me and tip with them!hopefully they will be happy then!!

I would have thought that the average recipient of them would find it difficult to turn them into spendable money. Wherever I've been, I've always tipped in local currency; apart from anything else, at least the recipient knows what they're getting. (Even if they think it isn't enough) grin
Posted By: Wally1 Re: tipping in egypt. - 2nd Feb 2015 4:59pm
You often see children begging, our tour guide
said it was better to give them pencils to help
their schooling rather than money which was collected
from them later by adults.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: tipping in egypt. - 2nd Feb 2015 9:30pm
Hi Pokerchamp , they do prefer to be tipped with English pounds . Just be prepared to be pestered like nothing youv'e ever experienced before , and im not joking . In fact , i would recommend that you dont acknowledge any seller outside of your resort or even better , learn a few Russian words , because they dont bother the Russians cos they tell them to F off , were as us English are just too damn polite . You will have a great holiday though , i recommend quad biking in the desert in the evening , stunning .
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: tipping in egypt. - 2nd Feb 2015 9:35pm
thanks toffeenose,were going to do the quad biking and the snorkling for deffo,and as for the pestering i will just be ignoring them.
Posted By: conan Re: tipping in egypt. - 3rd Feb 2015 5:53pm
Yes deffo do the snorkeling,its unbelievably good,like sticking your head into an aquarium.
Outside the hotel,beware of the guys on camels,if you take a pic of them,they demand payment and will try and snatch your camera off you if you refuse.

Agreed about the Russians,they were there,rude and pushed in the queues,i pulled them up for it but most were too polite to say anything.Although i believe the rouble is very weak so they shouldnt be too many around this year hopefully.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: tipping in egypt. - 3rd Feb 2015 9:46pm
Gold chocolate coins for the kids !
Posted By: markeee Re: tipping in egypt. - 9th Feb 2015 3:00pm
have you been yet ?
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: tipping in egypt. - 9th Feb 2015 3:20pm
no we go a week on friday!!
Posted By: granny Re: tipping in egypt. - 9th Feb 2015 4:39pm
Take a few pairs of 'flip-flops'. They'll give their last meal for a pair of British flip-flops . wink
Posted By: markeee Re: tipping in egypt. - 10th Feb 2015 11:23am
ok your over you pm limit can you email me [email protected]
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: tipping in egypt. - 10th Feb 2015 12:02pm
have just emailed you markeee
© Wirral-Wikiwirral