Forums
Posted By: Maxandlucy Need to be able to lock living room door - 23rd Nov 2014 7:46pm
Hi,to stop the dogs running out of the front door I need to be able to put a lock on the living room door,it needs to be lockable/unlockable from both sides,the door has just a handle with no lock at the moment,what do I need to buy?
Posted By: lansyp Re: Need to be able to lock living room door - 23rd Nov 2014 8:02pm
Just put your handles upside down ,we had to do that with our dog when we where kids
Posted By: venice Re: Need to be able to lock living room door - 23rd Nov 2014 8:37pm
Or a simple little brass bolt either side.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Need to be able to lock living room door - 23rd Nov 2014 10:13pm
or fit a cheap child gate, that keeps my two dogs at bay.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Need to be able to lock living room door - 23rd Nov 2014 10:58pm
chances are the door only has lever handles and a small mortice latch. To replace that with a sash lock would need a bit of joinery work to cut mortice out--not so easy on an interior door.
Cheapest option is the small brass bolts --around £2. You may need a "necked" one on one side of door and to drill a small hole in frame. The bolt keep on the other side can be a bit awkward to fit because of the architrave. The problem of a bolt on each side is that others can lock you in!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Need to be able to lock living room door - 23rd Nov 2014 10:59pm
Or swap the existing door fixture for Union 64mm sash lock or similar to that shown below.

Description: 64mm sash lock.
Attached picture ae235.jpg
Posted By: Salmon Re: Need to be able to lock living room door - 24th Nov 2014 6:54am
Cabin hook and eye on each side would work.Cheap and effective.
Posted By: Maxandlucy Re: Need to be able to lock living room door - 2nd Dec 2014 11:45am
Thanks for all the suggestions,in the end I found that the bathroom door had a lockable handle,switched them over,works fine.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral