Forums
Posted By: Focuzed Floor skimming? - 14th Nov 2014 3:01pm
Hi, I am after somebody to skim half of kitchen floor, about 9ft x 3ft, also a little bit of skirting board fitting, anyone know anyone decent?
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Floor skimming? - 14th Nov 2014 4:40pm
do you mean a self levelling screed or sand and cement screed.
Floor laying companies can do the self levelling, plasterers can screed
Posted By: Focuzed Re: Floor skimming? - 14th Nov 2014 6:16pm
Hi, self levelling, the floor is just a bit bumpy where we have taken tiles up,just need it smoothing out. Thanks
Posted By: venice Re: Floor skimming? - 14th Nov 2014 9:41pm
Self levelling is what is says, it finds its own level and evens out the bumps. You just mix and pour and it spreads out. Why dont you buy a tub and have a go. Skirtings can be stuck on.
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: Floor skimming? - 14th Nov 2014 10:55pm
take venices advice if you can tip a bucket of water over you can self level a floor that's all there is to it
Posted By: Focuzed Re: Floor skimming? - 15th Nov 2014 8:47am
Thanks everyone great advice,i think i will give it a try
Posted By: chriskay Re: Floor skimming? - 15th Nov 2014 2:30pm
Having done this more than once, I'd just say that it will probably take much more material than you think.
Posted By: venice Re: Floor skimming? - 15th Nov 2014 3:11pm
Yes its not cheap stuff to buy though. Dont know whether it comes in cheaper big bags, but a container of self mix powder about the size of a 15 lit can of paint cost me over £12 couple of years ago and I think it only did about a sq metre , so you need to weigh up comparative costs .
Posted By: kimpri Re: Floor skimming? - 15th Nov 2014 5:46pm
Pm sent.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Floor skimming? - 15th Nov 2014 5:52pm
Toolstation £12.98 for a 10kg bucket (2x 5kg bags inside)Your kitchen is approx 2.43m2 (assuming that's the previously tiled area ). 10kg will give you about 3mm thickness over the whole floor. Just need to put an edge at door openings etc to stop it spreading where you don't want it.
The other option if you are going to get it retiled would be to get a tiler to look at it --they may be able to put down a thicker adhesive bed.
Posted By: Focuzed Re: Floor skimming? - 16th Nov 2014 12:13pm
Great, a big thanks to everyone !!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral