Forums
Posted By: granny Care in the Commuity - 6th Nov 2014 3:01pm
As suggested by Mark:

Does the care worker get paid for the time spent on the road, or just for the time spent in capacity of care worker?
Does the person receiving the care also pay for the service and are they charged on an hourly rate or part of ?
Do Social Services pay the £12 hourly rate for 24 hour's care for each patient, or for the total amount of time the patient receives care?

The reason I ask is because as a council tax payer on a pension, I just wonder where my council tax ends up. I hope it's not being used for 24 hour care on a patient who receives only 1-2 hours care per every 24hours, because I could do with some of that too !
Maybe it's in anticipation of all the dementia sufferers who shall be cared for in their homes ? Ha Ha! In that case the staff need training in 'dementia care'.

Nobody could run a business suitably on £12 per hour for each patient and give £7.00 plus mileage to all their 24 hour care employees. plus N.I stamp and Pension payments.

Posted By: jaymc Re: Care in the Commuity - 6th Nov 2014 7:35pm
All care company's have different rules and pay for different things, some get mileage some don't, some get paid for job to job time some don't, depends on the company you work for.
If the customer is funded by the council they get allocated so many hours per week for care, so if a customers has 10 hrs per week Social services pay £120 odd, to the care company providing the care, this is funded by the government through tax that is paid from our wages and NI contributions, not council tax, each council is allocated a budget each year for NHS costs etc. A lot of assessments take place before care is put in place. This money is means tested, so if they have savings or more than just a state pension, then they have to contribute towards their care costs. A lot of our customers live with partners or family who provide the bulk of the care, if 24 hour care is needed then it is probably cheaper for the customer to go into residential care.
The Health and Social Care Diploma covers all aspects of care a customer will need. Training includes dementia, medication administration, manual handling, health and safety, first aid, all these need to be updated every 24 months.
All company's charge different rates, the lower the rate the lower the wage. Social services in Wirral pay just over £12 per hour to the care agency if the customer is funded, so most care workers are on minimum wage.
Posted By: granny Re: Care in the Commuity - 6th Nov 2014 8:26pm
A very nice, informative reply. Thank you Jaymc.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral