Forums
Posted By: venice Know about double glazing? - 3rd Oct 2014 5:21pm
Anyone know much about double glazing technology ?We've had quotes for a door and glass side frame plus a couple of windows. They all say their frames are the best/least flexible/strongest etc crazy Im getting a Rock door , so thats secure enough --its the frames of the windows and door side panels that Im concerned about. I could be sure of the best I suppose if I went with Everest, but out of the question, too expensive by far , but how do I tell amongst the other similarly priced firms , which of their frames is the strongest etc. You can compare width of space betwee the glass in the windows, but is there something I can ask which will show one is better than another?They are nearly all metal strengthened within, but that could be a little or a lot. Any particular kite mark or anything for frames?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Know about double glazing? - 3rd Oct 2014 5:47pm
Have you had a quote from Everest ? You may be pleasantly surprised, if you keep saying no, they come down down and down.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Know about double glazing? - 3rd Oct 2014 7:29pm
What profile have they quoted on. I doubt these days that there are poor quality frames as they usually give an independant 10 year guarantee. Was a time years back when some of the white frames yellowed after only a few years. There are also british standards and insulting /heatloss legislation that determine the frame and glass specifications.
You can also get self cleaning glass now for some of the awkward windows.
Just had a quote for fully glazed door 2 side windows and 5 other windows just under £3k
Posted By: venice Re: Know about double glazing? - 3rd Oct 2014 9:12pm

Fish - did you pick a local firm? Ive had the verbal quotes but havent had the written blurb yet with profile numbers etc on . They probably said, but Ive forgotten. If there are no poor quality frames, I wonder what accounts for the massive difference in price between companies like Everest and Anglican, and Safestyle and other cheapies though.

Salmon I had Everest quote about 12 years ago (different windows) and the woman salesperson was really really pushy and unpleasant when we balked at the price, yes they dropped a bit after a couple of weeks, but were still about double other quotes. Now I think about it though I could get them in purely to get them to explain exactly about the strength or otherwise of profiles. grin

Posted By: Salmon Re: Know about double glazing? - 3rd Oct 2014 10:03pm
When we lived down south 15 years back we had Everest quote for front and back windows plus front and back doors.Started at £18K+. We finalised at £7500.In 2010 we got them in to do front windows plus new porch where we are now. Started at £9k+, settled at £3750. Just play dumb,quite easy for me.No doubt about quality difference and guarantees.Surprised you say it took two weeks to come down.We always settled on the night.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Know about double glazing? - 3rd Oct 2014 10:25pm
Hi Venice. yes .measured up myself and drew sketches and emailed to couple. Would never use any of the big names because of their rip off sales techniques and Gone with design upvc by harvest mouse pub.
Posted By: Finney Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 5:12am
Try wholesale Windows in bromborough. We have used them twice, first time for double glazing and the second for a conservatory. They will give you a price and that's the price they stick to, no high pressure salesman and no bartering on price. Both times we have excellent service and excellent aftercare with the ten year guarantee.
Posted By: venice Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 5:22am
Hi Fish, thanks, Ill ask them for a quote. So far Ive considered Safestyle, Wholesale Windows and Facia Direct and about to consider Everite windows Hoylake.

Salmon, how many front windows did they do for that £'s and what did the porch entail if you dont mind me asking.
Posted By: venice Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 5:48am
Hi Finney. I must have been composing when you posted so didnt see your post . A lot of people sound satisfied about Wholesale windows, but Ive mixed feelings because my mum had both doors ,one with side panel done by them . Both allow draughts, and tend to 'move' with the hot and cold weather .
Weve had the fettler back three or four times over the past few years (never a problem getting him back) and he gets it better, but it tends to revert progressively when the weather changes. He agrees its the weather affecting it and says its common.

The front door that has the side panel - the whole four foot width of door and panel flexes and shakes if you slam the door (not violently ) and we dont like that .Makes you feel it wouldnt be too difficult to kick in. The old aluminium one she had was like a rock.

I wouldnt put up with any of that if it was Everest, but I dont know whether these problems are 'normal' with average price firms akin to Wholesale windows.

Be very interested to know if anyone on here has got a mid range company UVPC front door with a side panel that DOESNT flex/shudder ??

Posted By: Salmon Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 6:21am
We have 6 windows in front room and 6 in bedroom above, this includes 2 openers in each room. Then in the smaller bedroom it is 2 windows, 1 opener plus 2 side panes.The porch is 2 doors and 2 side windows. All the windows including the porch have glass above with a rose in them and 1 in each room opens. I hope that makes sense.
Posted By: venice Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 8:51am
Wow thats good value Salmon! Thanks, I may revise my thoughts on trying them out!
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 12:04pm
Was talking to a couple of Safestyle canvassers the other day--told them safestyle did a small porch window job for me which was ok but I got pestered for years after with marketing phonecalls despite me telling them to stop.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 12:17pm
If I remember rightly, my back door was done by Prenton Glass. Tidy job, no problems.
Posted By: Finney Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 12:43pm
Please don't use lifestyle, I was watching them fit a bay window last year at a house close to mine and there was a huge gap on both sides between the wall and frame. No screws where used to fix the frame into place they just pumped expandable foam into it. A colleague at work has also had a similar experience of this with his Windows, his curtains in his lounge would move on a windy day and when he removed the internal facial between the window and frame found it stuffed with newspaper.
At the end of the day you only get what you pay for, wholesale Windows are not the cheapest in the area but I would recommend them.
Posted By: Finney Re: Know about double glazing? - 4th Oct 2014 1:31pm
Sorry that should say safestyle......predictive text is a pain in the rear at times
Posted By: venice Re: Know about double glazing? - 6th Oct 2014 3:26pm
This is interesting .

http://companycheck.co.uk/search/results?SearchCompaniesForm%5Bname%5D=wholesale+windows+bromborough&yt0=

The first one down is the same company reg No. as the Bromborough one, so its the same company. The figures are interesting.

This is interesting too. I wonder if this one is the same Fascia Direct NW that trades around here -no co reg no. to check against.

http://companycheck.co.uk/search/results?SearchCompaniesForm%5Bname%5D=fascia+direct+nw+ltd&yt0=

Sorry links arent live , youll have to cut n paste.
Posted By: justice Re: Know about double glazing? - 6th Oct 2014 5:36pm
Mr John David Gerrard was born in 1949 and the first directorship we have on file was in 1991 at Regal (Merseyside) Ltd.. His most recent directorship is with Wholesale Windows (North West) Limited where he holds the position of "Director". This company has been around since 31 Jan 2005. In total, John has held 3 directorships, 2 of which are current, and 1 is no longer active.
Posted By: venice Re: Know about double glazing? - 6th Oct 2014 6:12pm
I always thought companies had to have a really good credit balance of funds behind them (after the initial set up years) as a safety cushion ?
Posted By: peesovski Re: Know about double glazing? - 6th Oct 2014 8:23pm
We had new bay windows and a porch door created about 6 months ago. That was 11 windows in total, including 5 large and small opening windows, with a lead light pattern (copied from original) and a composite ("Rock") door with side and top windows (which were an unusual placement) It was exactly what we wanted. We had N&P do it all, and it cost just over 5K. we have had lots of compliments on the work and it was all done in 3 days. I would definitely recommend them
Posted By: venice Re: Know about double glazing? - 7th Oct 2014 8:20am
Thanks peesovski. Another string to my bow.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Know about double glazing? - 8th Oct 2014 7:11pm
Hi Venice, we had our windows and doors replaced last year by Hardman's.
We had a french door fitted, a total of 16 other windows of varying sizes, all facias and gutters replaced, plus front and back door (both composite) for the cost of just over £10k. I think the quote started off higher but husband managed to get them down. By the way, the front windows and doors are leaded.
Lovely couple of blokes that fitted them too, very tidy workers.

We had also had a quote from Everest which was considerably higher and yes, the salesman was pushy.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral