Forums
Posted By: Finney Power flushing - 23rd Sep 2014 9:29am
How much should it cost to power flush a 7 radiator central heating system, British gas are looking at £700/£800.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Power flushing - 23rd Sep 2014 9:37am
The best way to find out must be to get other quotes, there are lots of companies who advertise this service around the area.
Some advertise from £180 but that seems too low to do a decent job.
Posted By: Finney Re: Power flushing - 23rd Sep 2014 9:52am
Cheers Salmon, I have had a look online and the prices start at £180 and increase to silly money. Hopefully the system will refill and run giving me a bit of time to get it done, if not I will need someone today/tomorrow if anyone can recommend someone,will know within the hour.....fingers crossed
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Power flushing - 23rd Sep 2014 9:54am
H.S.S.will hire you a power flusher for £90,if you're savvy enough to do it yourself you know you will be getting a thorough job.
Posted By: Finney Re: Power flushing - 23rd Sep 2014 2:36pm
Cheers Ludwigvan looked at that one, may have to get a few quotes
Posted By: ianyam Re: Power flushing - 23rd Sep 2014 7:14pm
Give Eddies gas services a ring on 07855735125 mention my name. Ian.
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Power flushing - 23rd Sep 2014 8:54pm
Originally Posted by Finney
How much should it cost to power flush a 7 radiator central heating system, British gas are looking at £700/£800.

The question is, does it actually need flushing? And if so, what type of flush do you want? Are there reasons why it needs a flush, ie: cold feed pipework incorrectly configured?
If you decide to go with the £180 flush, all I can say is good luck.
Posted By: Finney Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 10:49am
Originally Posted by ianyam
Give Eddies gas services a ring on 07855735125 mention my name. Ian.

Cheers Ian
Posted By: Finney Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 10:58am
Originally Posted by _Steve_
Originally Posted by Finney

The question is, does it actually need flushing? And if so, what type of flush do you want? Are there reasons why it needs a flush, ie: cold feed pipework incorrectly configured?
If you decide to go with the £180 flush, all I can say is good luck.

System is configured 100% correct, however the restriction/ blockage is on a joint where the cold feed meets the open vent. This joint is under the bath and access is limited. I have looked at the joint and the job is possible however I'm not a plumber so would leave it to a plumber to do.
As for the £180 quote this was via the internet and the first I saw to be able to compare prices against what the gas board quoted, I am not likely to use the cheapest company as I always get four or five quotes for jobs before parting with cash.
The system will need a flush as when bleeding the radiators black water is coming out also the old pump was heavily gunked up
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 2:19pm
£700/£800 is a joke. It would probably be cheaper to simply buy new rads. They are not outrageously expensive unless you have very exotic fashionable ones.

I routinely remove and replace them when decorating - easier than trying to paint/paper behind them!. It is not hard to do, and I suspect you can do a better job of cleaning the sludge out of them off the wall, outside, by using a little ingenuity.

Saves you a fortune, and you know it's done properly if you've done it yourself!

Posted By: Finney Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 2:46pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
£700/£800 is a joke. It would probably be cheaper to simply buy new rads. They are not outrageously expensive unless you have very exotic fashionable ones.

I routinely remove and replace them when decorating - easier than trying to paint/paper behind them!. It is not hard to do, and I suspect you can do a better job of cleaning the sludge out of them off the wall, outside, by using a little ingenuity.

Saves you a fortune, and you know it's done properly if you've done it yourself!

I agree the price quoted is silly and a price I will not be paying. The system is fully working again but will need a flush sooner rather than later.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 9:57pm
Does your system have a header tank?
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 10:07pm

Pmsl advise from an expert. grin
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 10:11pm
however the restriction/ blockage is on a joint where the cold feed meets the open vent.

Erm, what do you think? dunno

Posted By: Finney Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 10:41pm
Yes system does have a header tank in the loft.
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Power flushing - 24th Sep 2014 11:16pm
Finney, bit of advise, "don't take central heating advise from someone who knows nothing about central heating.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Power flushing - 25th Sep 2014 11:39am

Perfectly legitimate question.
Posted By: Finney Re: Power flushing - 25th Sep 2014 2:07pm
Idea of this thread was to get ideas or suggestions of companies to get quotes from.
The gas board have diagnosed the fault and suggested the remedy,having read the quote they gave me I am still trying to pick myself up off the floor. £719 to flush system and fit filter plus £165 to drain and inhibit system......oh how I laughed......
I will need to get it flushed at some point but not by the Gas Board
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Power flushing - 25th Sep 2014 5:00pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

Perfectly legitimate question.

No it's not, if the system has an open vent, it obviously has a header tank.
Anyone who knows what they are talking about wouldn't have asked if there is a header tank on a system with an open vent, I think Finney wants advise from people who know what they are talking about.
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Power flushing - 25th Sep 2014 5:03pm
Sent you a pm Finney.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Power flushing - 27th Sep 2014 9:10am
It is possible that if you haven't had it covered, that some piece of crap may have fallen in been drawn down the cold feed pipe and that is causing the problem. If there is an obstruction, sludge may well build up around it.

It's worth noting that expansion and contraction of the water as it heats and cools continuously draws in oxygen in open systems. This allows corrosion to take place in the system which is what causes sludge in the first place. Also, if there is a weeping joint somewhere in your system where it does no harm like under the floorboards downstairs, you won't know about it. This draws in even more oxygen.

I have a sealed system now 30 years old. On installation I found I was having to introduce water regularly and eventually found a weeping joint. Once I sorted that I have not had to add water at all, except when removing a rad for decorating. The water in the system is almost as clear as what comes from the tap, apart from a slight discolouration from the inhibitor, and there is no sludge.

I would suggest you turn off the water to your header tank and watch if the level falls over a day or two. If it does, you have a leak, and it would be wise to find it and cure it. Sludge means corrosion, and corrosion probably implies a leak.

Not good news, at least you can look for any problem and hopefully it will save trouble in the long run. Good luck.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral