Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Image stabilising binoculars. - 16th Jul 2014 11:08pm
I fancy a new pair of bins, and discovered that since I'd bought my last pair, they have introduced electronic image stabilisation. Keeping the things steady is a very real problem. I usually try to rest them on something solid like a wall, but that's not always possible.

From what I've read of them they are very good and cancel out all the trembling that results from paying for them. They are very expensive. I suspect that many of the reviews are from folk who've shelled out and cannot bring themselves to admit they are not much use, but I could be wrong.

I'd be most interested in anyone who has direct experience of these things. Are they as good as they are cracked up to be? What are their problems? How robust are they? Would I perhaps be better spending the mountain of cash on a better quality pair of non-stabilised bins and a tripod?

Any observations welcomed!
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Image stabilising binoculars. - 17th Jul 2014 7:22am
Yes, they work but your arms get tired and start to tremble holding them up as they are fairly heavy, so I got a cheap tripod which is perfect. Some tripods don't have attachments for binoculars but I just used a couple of cable ties to strap mine on. So much easier and you save a lot of money without the stabiliser.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral