Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth Cutting back unruly foliage - 15th Jul 2014 10:09pm
If you live in an area where your garden backs on to woodland for example Storeton Woods or Bidston Hill, and the bushes from the wood are getting very high (over 25ft) and beginning to block a lot of light from your garden, would it be acceptable to have the top of the bushes lopped off to reduce the height? Would I have to notify anyone at the council or am I within my rights to do it without letting anyone know? I'm not talking of trees, I'm specifically talking about very tall, unruly, out of control holly bushes.
Posted By: granny Re: Cutting back unruly foliage - 15th Jul 2014 10:51pm
Elizabeth, all my sympathies. It's a nightmare situation and so many differing rights and wrongs.
Just been looking for further info as I have the same problem with my neighbours. I have also had problems with the Council over telephone wires dragged down by their trees. They are not interested and blame BT, they say it's the Council as it's across the main road. So on and so forth.
Private properties (neighbours) and ruling for Council property seem to differ. Also I have read that the practice of topping trees is now a 'no go' area for Council property. It can cause disease and there's all sorts of other reasons. They do not cut trees because it restricts light. So basically I would imagine that your friendly Council are unlikely to respond and it looks as if we are quite likely to be living in a forest again soon. My neighbours garden is already a forest, 10 years since anyone touched it and still counting. It includes amongst others about 3 holly trees well over 25ft tall, and holly wood is very hard and the thicker it gets the harder it is.
Horrendous now and making my job ten times worse. No longer is it possible to reach even the lowest branches of the trees and therefore, the same could happen to you. Think about it smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Cutting back unruly foliage - 15th Jul 2014 10:57pm
Cant teach Granny about trimming bushes :-)
Posted By: granny Re: Cutting back unruly foliage - 15th Jul 2014 10:59pm
lamethrower
Posted By: granny Re: Cutting back unruly foliage - 15th Jul 2014 11:28pm
might help

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/pruning-tall-evergreen-holly/65958.html
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cutting back unruly foliage - 16th Jul 2014 11:15pm
just done a similar job for a customer and going back to do a bit more on a leylandii. Some on their land some not.. Its called pruning.
Ive also "pruned" someone elses lavender tree that was hanging over the pavement and in your face as you walked by. I think you may also be entitled to throw the pruned foilage back onto their land.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Cutting back unruly foliage - 21st Jul 2014 10:08pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
I think you may also be entitled to throw the pruned foliage back onto their land.

You should do this, otherwise you can be accused of theft.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral