Forums
Posted By: granny Sale of Hospital Records - 3rd Jul 2014 11:55pm
This topic has been before but what is happening in relation to our medical records?

Although it states that the 'sell off' has been delayed to 2015, there seems to have been no further mention that I am aware.

It seems the £50million sell off won't be quite so profitable, as there must have already been a high cost to send out information to the public (of which I didn't receive nor any of my family) . I did get a letter from my surgery asking me if I smoked , which is unusual but quite understandable for this venture if it's for insurance purposes.

If they buy our medical records for £1 each ( a figure quoted) they produce the information, employ staff to deal with the mail shot and pay 2nd class postage at 53p each, for 60 million people.......what's left ? They (whoever they are) must be desperate !

Not having yet heard how or when we may opt-out, and my daughter being told she would have to pay £50 for a copy of her medical records from the GP, which would be about 4 sheets of photocopies only, I really do wonder which direction the whole of the NHS is going and which company is buying them. Is it American ? NHS must know, but there's no mention of that so far.

Nothing private any longer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...f-all-NHS-patients-sold-to-insurers.html
Posted By: little_pob Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 8:02am
Originally Posted by granny
... my daughter being told she would have to pay £50 for a copy of her medical records from the GP, which would be about 4 sheets of photocopies only...
They are not allowed to profit from access requests, so they're not allowed to charge a flat fee. £50 is the maximum she would have to pay.

More: http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/health
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2635.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=160
Posted By: chriskay Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 10:23am
A couple of years ago, I went to my GP to look at my records. There was no charge and I was able to make copies of any parts I wanted.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 11:05am
You fill a form out at Drs Reception to opt out of the selling of your records, if you wish.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 11:12am
You fill a form out at Drs Reception to opt out of the selling of your records, if you wish.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 11:26am
When I was into urbex around 2006 I found medical records at Blackburn Royal Infirmary, St Georges at Stafford, Denbigh, and Withington Hospital, Manchester. Both buildings were wide open and the records were just left in boxes on the floor.

Denbigh and St Georges were both mental hospitals so the records were far more personal. Withington had an STD department and there were lots of details left there.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 3:47pm
Google 't.t.i.p'
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 8:20pm
Trouble for Joe Anderson regarding his allowing the British American Business Roadshow to set up at his International Festival for Business (IFB) Hub at Mann Island on Thursday 17th July 8.30am - 10.30am. BAB are here to promote TTIP which currently includes health and in its present form would destroy our NHS.

He can expect opposistion wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 4th Jul 2014 9:39pm
Oh!!! It's just me again- never mind. grin Peeps are reading it so....

Bit of info:

Hi Everyone,

I think an 8am start would be good, as it should catch most of them going in for their 8.30am start. We should be finished by 11am. Also in case anyone isn’t too sure about why TTIP is so dangerous I have attached the anti TTIP leaflet. It has huge repercussions for the NHS, public services, our food, animal welfare, farmers, small businesses, the environment and much more we are possibly not even aware of as yet, because this treaty is being conducted in secret. If anyone wants to know more, please email me [email protected] . I have about 700 of the leaflets, and also hope to have a banner, but please bring your own, if you have one. J
Please circulate the attached to any lists you have, or people you think might help:
See also below for a link to the business meeting, and who will be speaking.
This link is for the BAB roadshow in Liverpool on Thurs 17th July
http://www.babinc.org/events/788
British American Business is the UK/US Chamber of Commerce and the American Ch of Commerce, joined up. BAB funds (provides the secretariat) for the All Party Parliamentary Group promoting TTIP, in the heart of the Parliament.
Thanks and I hope to meet up with you on the 17th at no 1 Mann Island (8am)

Posted By: granny Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 5th Jul 2014 2:15pm
All interesting. Thanks
Posted By: granny Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 5:01am
For anyone who might need more understanding on how to opt-out.
It is possible to 'op-in' again later, if so wished.

https://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/

Interesting to know that medconfidential is being run as a charity, with a single grant given by the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 6:48am
Many thanks for that info. Granny. happy Nothing whatsoever has thudded onto my doormat about this. How convenient!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 2:08pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Many thanks for that info. Granny. happy Nothing whatsoever has thudded onto my doormat about this. How convenient!

I don't think they're communicating with foreigners, Pinz.

I've just arranged to look at my records; the initial charge is £10 and 35p per page of copy, but I'm going to take my camera and photograph anything I want a copy of; no charge for that.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 2:27pm
Mmmmmm... Is this an England and Wales thing only, or UK wide?

Mindyou, up here most ailments are cured by application of a cold porridge poultice under the kilt or a bottle of Laphroaig Single Malt taken three times a day. North British medical notes are therefore pretty simple things.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 3:00pm

Dear Rudebox,

Three days and counting: on Saturday, 38 Degrees members in Wallasey are meeting up to spread the word about a sinister EU-US trade deal called TTIP. [1]

The deal is huge, and almost no one knows about it. [2] And that’s exactly what the powerful interests behind it want. So a whopping 8,018 38 Degrees members are volunteering in almost every constituency in the UK on Saturday. They’ll be talking to their neighbours and ramping up the pressure just before MPs come back from their summer holidays.

Here’s how you can help. Every volunteer, like Andrew, Martin and Andrew who live near you, is getting a pack of materials in the post - leaflets, posters, badges. Each pack costs just £3.27. They’re as cheap as they can be, but they aren’t free.

Could you help cover the cost of a pack or two? For £6.54, you could pay for 200 leaflets: that’s up to 200 more people who’ll know how dangerous this behind-closed-doors deal is. Not bad for £6.54.

Please click here to chip in now:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/TTIP-chip-in

38 Degrees is funded entirely by people like you. [3] Not by big business, or by political parties. That means we’re free to hold anyone and everyone to account: including those behind TTIP (who are desperately hoping ordinary people don’t get involved).

Saturday’s day of action against this sinister trade deal will echo across the country. 8,000 ordinary people will be hitting the streets to talk to their neighbours. That’s people power in action.

Can you help it happen by chipping in to fund a couple of packs of materials today? Please click here to make a secure donation:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/TTIP-chip-in
Posted By: granny Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 5:47pm

Herald Scotland. Unfortunately, I can't translate it for you laugh

http://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...-on-nhs-contracts-privatisation.25122909
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 6:28pm

Herald Scotland. Unfortunately, I can't translate it for you laugh

http://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...-on-nhs-contracts-privatisation.25122909

Thanks Granny. Roughly it translates as saying that even the merest thought of that rotund ego-trip seeking buffoon Alexie Salmon, is likely to put even greater demands on our NHS. ie. you'll be sick as a parrot !
Posted By: davew3 Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 10:21pm
The snake oil salesman is saying that Scotland's NHS will be privatised if Scots vote NO, and the government are promising the Scots NHS will not be privatised if the Scots vote NO, I would rather believe the snake oil salesman Salmond than that lot in the House of lies and corruption.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 27th Aug 2014 10:30pm

Mindyou, up here most ailments are cured by application of a cold porridge poultice under the kilt or a bottle of Laphroaig Single Malt taken three times a day. North British medical notes are therefore pretty simple things.

Hmmm, looking at your avatar I don't think your North British nostrums have helped you. Just to clarify, is that a bottle of Laphroaig three times a day, i.e. three bottles, or do you have to make the one bottle last all day?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 28th Aug 2014 4:14am
Oh dear, Pinz,

If Bravearse gets his way and painting one's face blue becomes compulsory, followed by the inevitable civil war between the clans, you'd best tell us what Munro you're likely to be on for the aid drop of Tatties and Neeps, Shortbread and deep fried Mars bars. All of course provided free by the English NHS.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 28th Aug 2014 6:58am
@Chris. I phrased that badly. It's three bottles per day - after meals of course!

@Bert. Fear not young fellow. With them nattering on about Sept.18th for so long, it's given me ample opportunity to bury stashes of the vital commodities you mentioned in various remote locations in the hills nearby. Thus I'll be completely independent - ermmmmmmm ???
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 28th Aug 2014 9:27am
Somebody is going to make loads of money out of this and you can bet it won't be the general public.
I particularly dislike you have to go to the bother of opting out rather than opting in (I think they know there will be quite a lot of folk who won't be bothered to opt out).
I think we'll see this more and more by government and companies
where the "opt out" option is where you have to do something and the "opt in"option (that benefits them)is do nothing and that is taken as agreement.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 28th Aug 2014 10:04am
Also be aware of the Open Register which goes hand in hand with the Electoral Register.

If you haven't had it you shortly will, a letter, Titled 'Your Vote Matters, Make sure you're in'

The Open Register, is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections, it can be bought by any person, company or organisation, Etc.
Your name and address will be included unless you ask it to be removed. Removing does not affect your right to vote.

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 29th Aug 2014 9:16am
Anyone know how much it is to buy the Open Register and how far back they go and in what format they are?
Can't find anything on the internet
Seems similar to an uptodate street directory

click

Posted By: bert1 Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 29th Aug 2014 9:37am
It can't be complete if people have opted out, less useful than a residents directory. I've read some councils can send as Email.

The opt out email address is,

[email protected]

be sure to ask for a return confirmation email. I did and got one. confirming removal.
Posted By: granny Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 29th Aug 2014 11:01am
It states on the letter I received from council a couple of days ago, that I am not included in the 'Open Register'. Under the first heading on letter form.
Does that not apply to everyone ?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 29th Aug 2014 11:05am
It states on the letter I received from council a couple of days ago, that I am not included in the 'Open Register'. Under the first heading on letter form.
Does that not apply to everyone ?

I think that if you've previously opted out, which could be some time ago, that will not change unless you request it.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sale of Hospital Records - 29th Aug 2014 11:42am
The letter I received, so I'm assuming if anyone receives one like this, needs to opt out, should they wish to do so.

Attached picture open reg.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral