Forums
Posted By: Basisboy Plumbing question - Dual-Flush - 3rd Jul 2014 3:08pm
Having a bit of an argument with some cowboy boiler maintenance Home Energy Services Ltd. I had plumbing cover and in it I believed they covered toilet siphons, because it says on the website http://www.homeenergyservices.co.uk/plumbing-and-drainage-care - "Repairs to hot and cold water pipes, water storage tank, standard ball valves and toilet syphon".
The toilet went faulty and when the engineer came out, they said because it was dual flush then this is NOT covered.
They said dual flush is NON standard. I thought this is now a common fitting... I cancelled the contract because I believe they mis-sold me the cover but they now chasing me for the remainder of the contract.
Any thoughts anyone?
Posted By: casper Re: Plumbing question - Dual-Flush - 3rd Jul 2014 3:40pm
The usual fudge from insurers, any little clause so as not to pay, if it does not apply, as a reputable company they should state that it does not cover dual flush because it is obvious these items must be troublesome otherwise they would be covered, best try ombudsman. smile
Posted By: saltytom Re: Plumbing question - Dual-Flush - 3rd Jul 2014 3:41pm
I hate to say it but the duel flush is not the toilet syphon the syphon is generally attached to a lever via a heavy gauge wire/steel which gives you a single flush.
The duel flush is a self contained unit and alas they are useless if you are going to buy a new unit pay a bit more, buy a single if they are still on the market.
I have gone back to lever action toilets
Posted By: Salmon Re: Plumbing question - Dual-Flush - 3rd Jul 2014 3:46pm
Their T&C says
if you cancel after 7days you are not entitled to any refund and must pay their minimum charge.
So sounds like you are contracted to pay. As to what is a standard syphon I guess that allows them to wriggle out of any obligation. There must be many properties without dual flush even now.Small print in these contracts allow companies a lot of laxity as almost nobody reads them.
Sorry but I think they have you over a barrel.
Posted By: Basisboy Re: Plumbing question - Dual-Flush - 3rd Jul 2014 3:56pm
Thanks all. Apparently I cannot go to the Insurance Ombudsmen because this is a maintenance agreement according to HES.
The contract was only renewed a couple of months back - now they want £86 for me to cancel.
I know British Gas for all the bad press they get, they did and would cover this. They may be slightly more expensive but at least they do what you think they will do.
I will speak to my household insurance solicitor as I bought the product in good faith and believe I may have a case for mis-selling... Also sent to Consumer Advice and asked them. But Saltytom I think your advice will mean they got me frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral