Forums
Posted By: lansyp old fob watch - 2nd Jul 2014 5:18pm
Hi ,whist walking through storton woods I came across a ring in the path I gave it a kick and it wasn't a ring out popped a rather worn but still recognisable fob watch .I will put some piccys up in a bit but my question is should I put it in coke to clean it .I think its gold but knowing me its just brass but would like to clean up and see if I can find any markings so I can get picture of how it used to look cheers

Attached picture IMAG0831.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0828.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0820.jpg
Posted By: j_demo Re: old fob watch - 2nd Jul 2014 5:59pm
gold wouldn't tarnish like that has, it looks pretty knackered to me. coke may do more harm than good, if there is much more harm that could be done.

can you see any glass or hands on it? or is it all completely seized?
Posted By: lansyp Re: old fob watch - 2nd Jul 2014 6:13pm
There's a lot of rust to be honest I have managed to get the back off and some of the glass is still on it .you can just see one of the hands .am just interested in seeing the inside mechanism because am nosey like that lol
Posted By: lansyp Re: old fob watch - 2nd Jul 2014 7:41pm
There's a lot of rust to be honest I have managed to get the back off and some of the glass is still on it .you can just see one of the hands .am just interested in seeing the inside mechanism because am nosey like that lol
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: old fob watch - 2nd Jul 2014 9:46pm
what a cool find, wonder how long its been there?
Posted By: lansyp Re: old fob watch - 2nd Jul 2014 10:49pm
Quite a while by the look of it ,I will put some more pics up tomorrow as I have managed to get it a part a bit .it's very interesting as you can see the mechanism though I have broken the face getting it out
Posted By: lansyp Re: old fob watch - 2nd Jul 2014 10:51pm
Quite a while by the look of it ,I will put some more pics up tomorrow as I have managed to get it a part a bit .it's very interesting as you can see the mechanism though I have broken the face getting it out
Posted By: lansyp Re: old fob watch - 6th Jul 2014 9:07am
just an update ,it is an ingersol watch made around the 1930s .i have cleaned up some parts of the watch to find the serial number and stuff .not mutch value i am afraid same watches go for £30 to £50 when in working order though i am convinced its gold but cant find any markings .it was also built in the u.s.a
Posted By: rocks Re: old fob watch - 6th Jul 2014 10:27am
im no expert but i agree with jdemo that im sure gold wouldnt rust in that way, it maybe rolled gold? you could always sweet talk the staff at the jewellery pawn shop in town and ask them to test the metal, it only takes seconds
nice find though smile
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: old fob watch - 6th Jul 2014 10:31am
don't think that's gold ive dug up gold rings metal detecting that have been buried for a hundred years and there in the same condition as the day they were dropped gold just doesn't tarnish like that
Posted By: lansyp Re: old fob watch - 6th Jul 2014 11:35am
More photos of the watch after a partial clean

Attached picture IMAG0842.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0839.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0841.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0838.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0840.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0837.jpg
Posted By: rocks Re: old fob watch - 6th Jul 2014 6:28pm
you've cleaned it up nicely smile
Posted By: lansyp Re: old fob watch - 6th Jul 2014 7:01pm
I literally just rubbed it down with sand paper and it comes up nice
Posted By: Excoriator Re: old fob watch - 16th Jul 2014 11:31pm
I don't think it is gold. It's just mild steel. Not worth anything I'm afraid.

The sad truth is that mechanical watches were never much good compared to modern quartz or radio watches. I have my grandfather's fob watch, which is good quality, highly decorative, has a 'fusee' or chain mechanism, and after careful cleaning and maintenance is struggling to keep within 30 seconds a day. It is very beautiful, but as a timepiece it's crap! I use a cheapo £20 John Lewis quartz wristwatch and it gains about a second a month!

I have noticed that increasingly, young people don't bother with watches at all. They use their mobiles which I assume are spot on, or can be if they take their time from GPS.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral