Forums
Posted By: j_demo shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 7:33pm
so here's the deal:

i have an immersion heater and a mira sprint shower

suddenly about tuesday ish there was no hot water at all going to the shower no matter what combination of 'power' and temperature i tried.

fuse box hasn't tripped, hot water has been on for hours and all is well there, nothing has structurally changed in that time so no pipes or whatever have been messed about with.

is anyone able to suggest a reason and solution as to how come i suddenly don't have hot water in the shower????

nb hot water works for all other taps, just not the shower.

cheers guys
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 7:36pm
Showers only work off the cold water supply and heat up inside. Otherwise the water would come out as hot as the hot tap and boil you to death. Sounds like your shower has died a death.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 7:44pm
Back to basics,is the shower pull switch on?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 7:44pm
Check out this supplier on Ebay, they might have the part you need.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mira-Heater-Tank-Sprint-9-5kw-Spare-Shower-Part-1563-503-/171315726725

Attached picture aa.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 7:51pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Back to basics,is the shower pull switch on?

Pull switch has to be on otherwise the water would not come out, whether it be hot or cold.
Posted By: ianyam Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 7:56pm
Ok, that model has no hot water running to it, it runs from the cold water main and the electric heats the cold water inside the shower unit. sounds like the thermostat or heat exchanger has broke on it. I would normally advise to just buy a new shower unit, by the time you get someone to replace the faulty part & labour you may as well buy a new one. Good luck.
Posted By: j_demo Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 7:58pm
cheers zipper

at £70 i think i'll give the landlord a call on monday

if it was up to £20 i'd do it myself like...

in opening the thing up everything looks fine but i suppose everything will look fine if a fuse has blown
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 8:00pm
The only fuse is on the main fuse board for the house, again, if it had blown the water would not come out as the speed is regulated as you turn the knob. Luckily for you the Landlord will replace it.
Posted By: emian Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 8:19pm
Has the power light come on the shower?
Posted By: j_demo Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 8:35pm
Originally Posted by emelec
Has the power light come on the shower?

water comes out, so yes it has power.

Zipper is spot on, that part must be goosed so will give the landy a bell on monday
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 8:45pm
I just replaced my shower last week, I was fortunate to have a spare used one. Took me about an hour to replace, putting new pipes and a stop valve in. Darn water connector was in a different place so I had to drill another hole with the hammer :-) and plaster up the old one, at least it cost me nothing.
Posted By: TheDr Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 8:49pm
I've got a Mira Play that I've just taken out of a spare bathroom, I think it has the same heater tank.

£20 if it's any use to you (I was going to turn it into a hand washer for the garage).
Posted By: j_demo Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 8:55pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
I've got a Mira Play that I've just taken out of a spare bathroom, I think it has the same heater tank.

£20 if it's any use to you (I was going to turn it into a hand washer for the garage).

as long as it works i'll take it for £20! PM me your deets and we'll arrange when & where's
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 9:00pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
I just replaced my shower last week, I was fortunate to have a spare used one. Took me about an hour to replace, putting new pipes and a stop valve in. Darn water connector was in a different place so I had to drill another hole with the hammer :-) and plaster up the old one, at least it cost me nothing.

Be prepared to do that(above) if you buy another one.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: shower suddenly has no hot water - 16th May 2014 9:06pm
Originally Posted by TheDr

Good idea that about turning it into a hand washer if you have the electric supply. No more room on my fuse box for using another one.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral