Forums
Posted By: Thetruth Dropped kerb - 25th Jan 2014 8:58pm
Hi, does anyone know how much it cost for a dropped kerb over a drive.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Dropped kerb - 26th Jan 2014 12:05am
Watched one guy do his own and he did a decent job but you do need council permission i think. Guesstimate around £500
Posted By: Salmon Re: Dropped kerb - 26th Jan 2014 6:15am
We had ours done 6 years ago by Wirral council £990. You need permission which I think was a large chunk of the cost.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Dropped kerb - 26th Jan 2014 9:19am
When we had ours done twelve years ago we were told that I couldn't do it myself,it had to be done by an approved contractor because of the massive insurance implications involved i.e. personal injury to pedestrians.Cost about £450 then.
Posted By: donja457 Re: Dropped kerb - 26th Jan 2014 2:16pm
The council did mine last august it was £920.00. You can pay £250 for inspection and have it done by a private contractor. If you do it that way you are responsible for public liability insurance for the area., if the council do it they cover it on thier insurance.
Posted By: keving Re: Dropped kerb - 27th Jan 2014 1:19pm
I was quoted £750, 2 years ago, by the council. They make it impossible for you to do your own.
They insist you get written permission from gas/elec/water company's proving you won't damage there services. They then expect you to pay a council official to watch over the job to see it's done correctly. And yes the relevant liability insurance is required.

All this would no doubt push the cost far beyond what they quoted. Quite a scam I believe.

Also if they find out you have had it done, even if it was done before you moved there, they will put it back to standard, or charge you the full amount to dig it up and re-drop it.

Kev
Posted By: _Billy_ Re: Dropped kerb - 27th Jan 2014 8:08pm
It's not a scam, you have to have public liability insurance and permission to start digging the kerb up, imagine if everyone was allowed to just dig the pavement up when they felt like it. £750 is not a large sum, it's what I would expect to pay. What annoys me is people who build a drive, remove the garden fence and then expect everyone to not park outside their house even though they haven't got a dropped kerb.
Posted By: Mandy45 Re: Dropped kerb - 27th Jan 2014 8:44pm
Originally Posted by _Billy_
It's not a scam, you have to have public liability insurance and permission to start digging the kerb up, imagine if everyone was allowed to just dig the pavement up when they felt like it. £750 is not a large sum, it's what I would expect to pay. What annoys me is people who build a drive, remove the garden fence and then expect everyone to not park outside their house even though they haven't got a dropped kerb.
Yes that too.Its just pure lazy to drive the in the drveway and moan if you park your car by theres not even blocking there access.
Posted By: fillbo Re: Dropped kerb - 27th Jan 2014 9:16pm
Originally Posted by Mandy45
Yes that too.Its just pure lazy to drive the in the drveway and moan if you park your car by theres not even blocking there access.

dunno
Posted By: Parker Re: Dropped kerb - 28th Jan 2014 7:13pm
It's normally between £600 and £1000, but depends what's size it is and whether you have Tarmac or paving slabs as a surface.
Posted By: keving Re: Dropped kerb - 29th Jan 2014 5:42pm

It is a scam Billy, be told! The council is full of scams. I agree people need insurance though, but you don't need to pay a council official to stand and watch the job being done. Fine let them come and check it afterwards. It's just aimed and not giving you the viable option to have it done yourself.

Another scam, they sent me a nasty letter telling me to cut my hedge back and if i didnt within 14 days, they would send out a contractor and bill me - seems the letter wasn't addressed to me, just my house, I ignored them, knowing they wouldn't bother with the contractor. 15 days later another letter telling me they would take me (well my address)to court if i didn't cut back my hedge, no mention of the contractor...
I then called them after being on hold for about 25 mins (listening to the song off One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest!!!) informed them it was their hedge, not even on my land...
- total bullying tactics and lies. I could have been an elderly/ill person and they try to frighten you to do things instantly, that they haven't even looking into correctly.
Try giving them a 14 day ultimatum to fix things or you'll take them to court or charge them for you doing it!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral