Forums
Posted By: granny Spanish Translation - 11th Jan 2014 10:19pm
Can anyone translate this record of an infants death please? Guatamala 1887. It is whether or not they disclose what the baby died from. I can understand some, but not the reason, if it's there.
The father was born in Birkenhead, went to the Government School of Art in Birkenhead, in 1860's and then disappeared. Just found him and lots more! laugh
It's the bottom right and not a very good image, but may be easier if zoomed in on. The name is Eduardo Alberto Crafter Noble

Thanks.

Attached picture Crafter.jpg
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Spanish Translation - 11th Jan 2014 10:50pm
I can't make the words out, probably because I haven't got my reading glasses on!
Anyway, if you can read them, go onto bing.com, click "more" and use the translator to help. It will automatically detect the language and translate it to English
Posted By: granny Re: Spanish Translation - 12th Jan 2014 1:01am
Great yes Thanks Elizabeth. Worked a treat apart from one word. He died of Colexin and I don't know what that is , so no further on ! I wonder if it is related to ecoli.

Something else I have learnt to do on this computer. yipee

Posted By: bert1 Re: Spanish Translation - 12th Jan 2014 7:51am
Granny, COLERIN, a digestive disorder, etc.
Posted By: granny Re: Spanish Translation - 12th Jan 2014 9:39am
Oh yes, thanks Bert, Colerin not Colexin. Still didn't know what it was although the name gives a clue to guessing.
Someone has explained it as :

"A violent case of the trots, deadly to very young children and the stupid. It is one of the multitude of "hand to mouth" illnesses prevalent in poor countries."
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Spanish Translation - 12th Jan 2014 2:44pm
Seems very similar to what we know in modern times as Cholera. Very nasty.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Spanish Translation - 12th Jan 2014 3:04pm
that handwriting is wonderful, so neat and tidy.
Posted By: granny Re: Spanish Translation - 12th Jan 2014 11:10pm
The handwriting is beautiful.
Thought you may be interested in translation. A question! what is 'peanut partying' ??? laugh

Translation:

In twenty of July of one thousand eight hundred eighty seven presented don Jose of Ares peanut partying custom-made; that yesterday at eight o'clock in the morning died of Colerin, Eduardo Alberto Noble two months twenty-one days of age, of this address; natural son of Joaquina Noble and Albert H E Crafter. Read you're acts signed by the don Tomas Salarar and testigor.

This woman Joaquina Noble, had loads of children (about 8, one every year) ,all to different fathers, and all but one died within the first 12 months and that daughter died age 16yrs ! Mostly the fathers names were not given to the child. I think all that tells a tale. think
That is why I wondered, as I thought it might have also been a little suspicious.
Posted By: Mark Re: Spanish Translation - 13th Jan 2014 8:02am
Bigger picture Click Me wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral