Forums
Posted By: granny Central Heating boiler - 8th Jan 2014 8:04pm
Got a Worcester boiler. Old style. Thought the pressure had gone down as I was looking at the red hand. Turned it up and realised that I should have been looking at the black hand. It is now at 3..is that too high and should I just bleed the radiators?
Thanks you
Posted By: rainman Re: Central Heating boiler - 8th Jan 2014 9:04pm
i have the same boiler mate amd it constantly goes to 3 bars when heatings on , hasnt affected anything apart from the shower wont heat up as hot as it used to .. central heating and hot taps are fine ...turn the heating off and the pressure bar drops to 1
Posted By: granny Re: Central Heating boiler - 8th Jan 2014 9:48pm
Thank you rainman. I did in fact bleed a radiator and got it back down to 2 bar. Should be ok now I think. This is a good boiler, but have been told I should get a new one because they are becoming harder to find parts for. I've been here 13yrs and it's never once needed a part. So I don't always believe what is told. Too expensive to replace anyway.
Thanks again.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Central Heating boiler - 8th Jan 2014 11:29pm
Granny, maybe if you Google the model number you may find the correct pressure.Ours is green up to 3.5.
Posted By: granny Re: Central Heating boiler - 8th Jan 2014 11:41pm
Oh! O.K. Salmon thanks. Never had an instruction manual from previous owners.
It just seems to take so long for the house to get warm. It's warm now but has been on since 4pm shocked and yet the radiators are quite hot. Must be the house!
Posted By: Mark Re: Central Heating boiler - 9th Jan 2014 9:03am
You will get different pressure readings at different temperatures.

Lowest reading will be a cold Heating System.
Highest Reading a HOT system.

So be aware !!
Normally there are safety features built in. But putting an old system under extra pressure will show its weak points.

*The pressure reading is for your Heating system. Including your radiator system.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: granny Re: Central Heating boiler - 9th Jan 2014 11:18am
You are good on here smile Thanks for your help. We get a much quicker response than waiting for a heating engineer.
This time I don't think it was a fault with the heating system,
....just this old system, showing the weaker points! blush

Just so long as nothing goes 'boom!' it should be fine now , hopefully.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Central Heating boiler - 9th Jan 2014 8:05pm
You can download user manuals from worcester website and i think they may even post one out. My brother had an old faulty boiler and the plumber told him to take out a service contract with manufacturer which cost him about £200. The engineer was there in 2 days and replaced half the boiler plus he gets annual services for so many years.
Whilst its working ok dont worry-- what you save in not paying service will get you a new boiler. In one house i had an engineer say every year might need replacing as getting old--was working fine for at least 10 years
Posted By: granny Re: Central Heating boiler - 10th Jan 2014 12:48pm
Thanks fish. 'If it ain't broke ,don't fix it'....so to speak.
Good advice.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral