Forums
Posted By: peesovski Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 5:40pm
Anyone know what is happening re Wirral News paper delivery?

We have had this week's paper delivered today, accompanied by a note from the paper boy saying his role is being made redundant, and we will no longer receive our copy of the paper.

Anybody got any clues?
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 6:20pm
Try ringing there Distribution Tel: 0151 330 4967
There is not anything on there website regarding this
This link is not very clear but it sounds like they may be going with downloads
Then again it does state "Our print editions will now adopt a bold new look, ideal for bringing you the very best in community news"

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...look-for-the-wirral-news-80491-34186905/
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 6:26pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/775017/Wirral_Globe_distribution.html

Not the Wally News but similiar event.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 6:27pm
The site also says pick up a copy...
http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...l-outlets-from-next-week-80491-34186906/
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 7:22pm
So the Globe as well no
I have not had either delivered for years but I do like reading them
I noticed on that link zipper, it doesn't say if them shops will be charging for the papers, that would be a shame if they do
Also there is no shop in Birkenhead distributing it
6 in Wallasey/new brighton
4 bromborough
3 bebington
1 moreton
1 new ferry
They forgot people actually live in Birkenhead
Posted By: peesovski Re: Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 7:42pm
Thank you - as always you're a helpful lot!!

Sad to see the end of deliveries, but suppose it was inevitable
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 8:43pm
Some estate agents in the area get a few copies a week left in their shops for people to take. Maybe you could still get a copy from there?
I used to love reading both the Globe and Wirral News, but since moving back to Prenton we've never had any delivered frown

A sad sign of the times I suppose, and although I know I can look at them online, it's not the same as sitting down with a cup of tea flicking through the pages.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Wirral News delivery - 3rd Jan 2014 9:01pm
couldn't agree more, i used to love the bebington news and the birkenhead news, nothing like the rustle of the pages and the black print on your hands,another thing that is shrinking with the digital age.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral News delivery - 4th Jan 2014 12:32am
Originally Posted by mikeeb
So the Globe as well no
I have not had either delivered for years but I do like reading them
I noticed on that link zipper, it doesn't say if them shops will be charging for the papers, that would be a shame if they do
Also there is no shop in Birkenhead distributing it
6 in Wallasey/new brighton
4 bromborough
3 bebington
1 moreton
1 new ferry
They forgot people actually live in Birkenhead
I often 'borrow' copies from the library wink seeyu
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Wirral News delivery - 4th Jan 2014 8:15am
The News and the Globe both survive on advertising on the basis that the advertisers' messages are delivered to the community they serve. Advertisements are not cheap. So why do advertisers still use this medium which doesn't reach the majority of their target audience?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral News delivery - 6th Jan 2014 11:03am
We've not received free copies of the News or the globe for a year or two. In the case of one of them, we received a letter explaining they were no longer going to distribute them to our area (no explanation as to why) in the case of the other one it simply stopped coming.

I expect they found supplying free copies was costing more than the advertising revenue was bringing in.

I can't honestly say I miss either much. They were full of tedious ads interspersed by odd pics of councillors doing something boring or letters from someone in new Brighton complaining about having stepped in dog droppings. Nor worth reading for the most part.

If the content of the electronic edition is the same, I doubt whether its worth bothering to download even if its free.

Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral News delivery - 6th Jan 2014 11:58am
Never had the Globe but Wirral News used to come until just before Xmas.

The list of places where you can pick it up seems to be too focused on Bromborough, Bebington and Wallasey.

Do they need three or four locations in one area while Prenton, for example, gets none?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral News delivery - 6th Jan 2014 12:17pm
I still deliver 900 globes a week. Had it reduced to 250 over xmas and new year period but presume it will return this week to 900. Kept me fit over the last 10 years
© Wirral-Wikiwirral